Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting near a concrete foundation

Options
  • 26-10-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello, currently in the process of building a seven foot high wall at the side of my property. I am now currently considering the possibility of planting shrubs/trees between the wall and future laid kerbs. Thus this where is my problem/ query comes from. What’s the minimum amount of soil these prospective plants would need to be able to grow, considering I would be planting above a concrete foundation? Also any recommendations regarding plants with short roots that would suitable for the above described sheltered landscape, taking into consideration their ability to survive and not unsettle the foundation in the future. Many thanks in advance for reading this long winded post.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How wide is the foundation? Which way does the way face?

You should not plant shrubs and trees so close to walls that they would be above the foundations. They will be in the dry area that is always close to a wall. If it is northfacing there will not be enough light, and if it is southfacing you could have too much drying out. Small trees and large shrubs should be about 3 ft from the wall and small shrubs about 2 feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

whatever you do dont plant poplar; serious foundation cracker...id avoid trees altogether in your situation to be honest

trees planted in what you are describing, would destroy your foundations in a few short years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It very much depends on how wide the 'side' of the house is. If there is a, say, 5-6 ft wide bed then a 10ft drive, small trees - rowans, japanese acers, etc should be ok. If the space is any narrower than that then there will be issues of light that will affect growth, and certainly larger trees would not be appropriate against a wall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Aucuba Japonica might be a suitable shrub. Grows very nearly anywhere and its roots are not invasive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement