Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] New player question: Can I trust Goonwiki?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just getting going in Eve this past week and it's been fun. I've read around a lot and found all sorts of useful stuff. One resource that I've found which seems really comprehensive is the Goonswarm Wiki. Of particular interest to me are the ship fittings. But is it all just one big misinformation mission for shíts and giggles? It seems kind of odd that they would share so much info so openly.

The particular fitting of theirs that I'm looking at right now is this for the Incursus:

Highs
    3x 125mm Railgun I's
    Mids
    1x 1MN MWD (or 1MN Afterburner)
    1x Warp Disruptor
    1x Stasis Webifier
    Lows
    2x Nanofiber Internal Structure
    Drone
    1x Warrior

Supposedly good for new players. So, good advice from them or noob trolling? I'll be grateful for your opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

It's not noob trolling they use it themselves, they wouldn't make a massive wiki like that just for trolling the odd passer-by, as for that fit, it's fine for a new player but no masterpiece

edit: in fact I take that back, that's a great fit for a new player, your job in this ship as a new player is to tackle and avoid damage, not deal damage, so in that aspect this fit is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Thanks Gneez.

Yeah, now that you say it, the idea of them making that for a laugh doesn't make sense. I just couldn't believe all that advice was given away for free.

Cool, I'll get on training towards that fit now. It's good to have a direction to train towards. Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

EVE is kind of odd like that. There's tons of absolutely fantastic stuff out there for free, from stuff like the wikis, to eft/pyfa/evemon, evefiles hosting etc.

Anyway, I'd throw a dcu on the Incursus, especially as a new player where your mechanics etc are low. That teensy bit of extra survivability is going to be more useful than that teensy bit of extra agility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Some lol stuff in there too like:

The Legendary Chribba's Veldnought

High
    3 x Modulated Deepcore Miner II (Veldspar II crystals)
    1 x Tractor Beam or 1x Cloak (for the fun of it, decloaking next to a noob and seeing the reaction is priceless)

Mid
    1 x Gist X-Type 100MN MWD
    1 x Survey Scanner
    2 x Cap Recharger II

Low
    8 x Local Hull Expanded Cargohold (to give that nice 50Km3+ cargo)

Drones
    5 x Mining Drone II

Nevore wrote: »
    EVE is kind of odd like that. There's tons of absolutely fantastic stuff out there for free, from stuff like the wikis, to eft/pyfa/evemon, evefiles hosting etc.

Anyway, I'd throw a dcu on the Incursus, especially as a new player where your mechanics etc are low. That teensy bit of extra survivability is going to be more useful than that teensy bit of extra agility.

Yeah I've been finding lots of that free stuff great. So many blogs and tutorials and I was using evemon and eft last night. I hadn't come across pyfa yet, I must try that too.

Thanks for the advice about the damage control. I'll try it out.
    azezil wrote: »

Well at least it comes with a disclaimer. I think I won't bother with the dreadnought training for now anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

The Goonwiki is quite extensive and they put a lot of effort in it, it's a good resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

Thats an old mirror from when the goons held Delve nearly 2 years ago. Great resource but not entirely up to date.

WuuZii wrote: »
    Thats an old mirror from when the goons held Delve nearly 2 years ago. Great resource but not entirely up to date.

Ah. Well spotted. I'll keep that age in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ecocrexis

azezil wrote: »

High
    3 x Modulated Deepcore Miner II (Veldspar II crystals)
    1 x Tractor Beam or 1x Cloak (for the fun of it, decloaking next to a noob and seeing the reaction is priceless)

Mid
    1 x Gist X-Type 100MN MWD
    1 x Survey Scanner
    2 x Cap Recharger II

Low
    8 x Local Hull Expanded Cargohold (to give that nice 50Km3+ cargo)

Drones
    5 x Mining Drone II

I don't think Chribba can actualy fly that ship. It has a speed of -18m/s with those cargo expanders and he says it won't actually warp.

Also in relation to the goon wiki here is a newer version that was ripped a few months ago. http://www.mediafire.com/?1811nqxspyy3219
    To access this you have to go to the wiki.goonfleet.com folder. to search you'll have to use crtl F while in that folder.
    Such is the work around for those of us in the Cluster**** but without goonwiki access.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ecocrexis wrote: »
    I don't think Chribba can actualy fly that ship. It has a speed of -18m/s with those cargo expanders and he says it won't actually warp.

Also in relation to the goon wiki here is a newer version that was ripped a few months ago. http://www.mediafire.com/?1811nqxspyy3219
    To access this you have to go to the wiki.goonfleet.com folder. to search you'll have to use crtl F while in that folder.
    Such is the work around for those of us in the Cluster**** but without goonwiki access.
    Last time I checked the Chribba's Veldnaught was real enough (not sure on exact equipment) with one sitting in high sec (hence the comment about scaring newbies) and he did use it to mine on occasion :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Ecocrexis

Nody wrote: »
    Last time I checked the Chribba's Veldnaught was real enough (not sure on exact equipment) with one sitting in high sec (hence the comment about scaring newbies) and he did use it to mine on occasion :P.

I meant that that particukar fit is probably unflyable. Although I have never seen it i do know that chribba has a revelation in amarr that he sometimes undocks and mines in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

ccp removed the drone bay on all dreads. Chribba's mining yield has suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Even the Gally Dread, lol because Dread's REALLY needed a nerf right :p

Advertisement