Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle mixed with what?

• 27-10-2011 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

xzE6a.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine, Sam - 3 years old as far as i know came from Kentucky in the USofA to here(Toronto) and has settled in brilliantly. 8 months in and the only issue is his allergies, the vet cannot pinpoint the issue, i've had him on limited ingredient allergy dry food, i've kept him away from corn etc, he's been on anti itch pills and used special sprays but the poor fecker is still itching like crazy. If i could pintpoint the breed maybe then i could get some advice from other similar owners. I have sent away for a test but have heard so many bad stories like 40 different breeds coming back for the same dog, so i turn to fellow dog owners.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

King Charles maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Bassett hound ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

a spaniel i reckon.... maybe a cocker or springer.... more than likely a springer due to his size etc.... very cute doggie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I'd be inclined to say a Staffy or something similar - I have a friend who has a Beagle x Pit Bull and your guy isn't too far off what he looks like. The smaller, wide set eyes, large head and shorter coat are also pointing towards a Staffy mix. If there was some Spaniel in him, he would have more coat feathering and larger eyes (just my opinion!)

(regardless of what he is, he's very sweet looking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

I would also take a guess at staffy, he seems to have the look of one around the muzzle, and also the wide chest, just a guess tho! Cutie pie either way love the Beagle ears :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Those ears are TINY! I'd wonder if he's a beagle cross at all, they're so small?! Front end looks like a springer but the muzzle looks too heavy...

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Cheers for all your replies, great to get some feedback, the vet wouldn't even hazard a guess. He is around 21 pounds, if that helps and has the beagle howl.

Has anyone any generic tips on allergies etc

thank again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Start with very basic ingredients, boiled lamb or chicken with a boil in the bag rice cooked in the same pot (rice soaks up the juices from the meat and makes it more appealing) or potatoes instead of rice. Add new items very slowly so you are giving it time to see what reaction the dog has. Once you have a sort of portfolio of foods that agree with him you can try to experiment with different brands of dry dog food that are mostly made of those basic items.

You may not have the same brand names of dog food that we have here but can you give us the name of the food he is on?

Also has he been tested for any specific allergies and have you considered that it may not be food but cleaning products, dust mites, the material his bed is made from etc. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Each flavour in the range will have different ingredients. Its not a brand we have here but it looks to be decent. Some dogs are just extremely hard to find a food for that suits them. Just from trial and error I've found my own dog does much better on foods that are lamb based over any other meat source, a lot of brands that have a specific food for allergies use a meat other than chicken, so cutting out chicken (or whatever the main meat source is that the dog has been getting) might be a good starting point and see what happens from there.

Dogs don't adjust to a new food fully for a while so any dry food you are trying you will need to keep the dog on for about 6 weeks before you can confidently rule it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement