Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog while working f/t?

• 27-10-2011 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

I put a thread up asking this question earlier in the year, but I thought I'd ask again as we are really, really keen to get a dog and I'd genuinely appreciate some advice.

So as the title says, I work f/t - leave the house about 8.30am and am home by 6 (usually have to go back out at that point for an hour a few nights a week, but could bring the dog with us). I have a 9yr old son and there's just the two of us in our house. House is small enough, 2 bed but with a front and back garden. I always had a dog as a kid and loved them - my little fella is just dying for a dog. I have explained to him many times, that it would be unfair on a dog to leave it home alone all day while we are in work/at the childminders....The lady who minds him got a dog recently, and while their intentions are good, they don't seem to treat the dog very well. It's out the back all day every day and isn't allowed in the house or out the front to play with the kids - no walks etc. This really upsets my lad and when they get fed up with the dog, (the minder and her hubby) they regularly say they're 'bringing it back' and my lad keeps asking me if we cant take it...:(

Anyway, aside from that, I think pets are so good for children.

I get home from work about 3 on fridays, and spend most weekends locally or around the house - we seldom travel so getting the dog looked after if we were away wouldn't be an issue.

So my question really is...Is it better to get a dog and leave it home alone during the day, but shower it with love when you get home in the evenings and at weekends, than to leave one in a dogs home getting none of the above????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I work full time and have three dogs. When I got Tilly as a puppy I was in college/working pt so she was an adult by the time I was working ft. Other two dogs are rescues.

I think it wouldn't be fair on a puppy but an adult dog that doesn't have separation issues would be fine on it's own. Your local rescue would be able to match you with the right dog. What county are you in?

Leave the dog with filled kongs and chew toys and they will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

if you can afford a dog walker half way through the day there should be no issue.

A short walk in the morning before you go to work, dog walker half way through the day and a walk in the evening and your dog will be very happy. well, it works for mine (2 cocker spaniels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

fittle...

unless your are getting two dogs or can provide some form of other activity on one or two days per week i.e. dog walker or doggie day care then i would say no.... 8.30am to 6pm is far too long five days per week :o... dogs can suffer from terrible seperation aniexity.... honestly a puppy would become very destructive being left alone all day... believe me i know from experience!

however if you can organise some form of activity possible two days per week then your dog would be ok....it would break the week up for your dog.... I've been using a dog walker two days per week for around 18 months... costing €20 per day... she is now leaving the country so my dog will be going to doggie day care two days per week at €18 per day.... so if you feel you can provide this then def go for it.... but if your dog / puppy would be alone 5 days per week 8.30am to 6pm then def not its too cruel on the dog :cool:

I know your son would really like a dog but you must think of the dog feelings first in this case.

Best of luck with your decision ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I've often thought that it would be great idea if 2 dog owners living near by paired up and arranged for their dogs to keep each other company during day.I'm sure a lot of people are in similar position as you. Would local animal rescue be able to put your details on their site or put you in touch with someone. Most rescues are happy enough to rehome an adult dog where it wil have another dog as company during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Thanks alot for the replies guys, its really appreciated.

Firstly, theres's not a hope I could afford to employ the services of a dog walker - big mortage and big childcare costs, I'll say no more;)

Secondly, I wouldn't have any intention of getting a puppy - I'd love a house dog, an older type of dog who could just ramble around the house all day and wait for us to come home...in my ideal world!

I had hoped that once the minder got her dog, my lad would have the experience of playing and caring for it...but it seems like that dog (which is a jack russel pup and very excitable) won't be giving him that type of experience.

Ideally, I would love 2 dogs who would keep each other company while we're out - but one dog would be enough for us to be honest (cost being a factor here also).

I stuck another thread up recently, about volunteering for the elderly in my area (a befriending type situation) - maybe if I can figure that one out, that person/people might have dogs and he'll get to experience how valuable dogs are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Fittle wrote: »
    Thanks alot for the replies guys, its really appreciated.

Firstly, theres's not a hope I could afford to employ the services of a dog walker - big mortage and big childcare costs, I'll say no more;)

Secondly, I wouldn't have any intention of getting a puppy - I'd love a house dog, an older type of dog who could just ramble around the house all day and wait for us to come home...in my ideal world!

I had hoped that once the minder got her dog, my lad would have the experience of playing and caring for it...but it seems like that dog (which is a jack russel pup and very excitable) won't be giving him that type of experience.

Ideally, I would love 2 dogs who would keep each other company while we're out - but one dog would be enough for us to be honest (cost being a factor here also).

I stuck another thread up recently, about volunteering for the elderly in my area (a befriending type situation) - maybe if I can figure that one out, that person/people might have dogs and he'll get to experience how valuable dogs are...
    Yeah a well tempered adult rescue dog sounds the most suitable . Make sure to exercise her/him a lot in evenings so doesnt get destructive during day when alone. two small dogs that can keep each other company out the back is another option, and they can be similar costs to one large dog.

Yeah a well tempered adult rescue dog sounds the most suitable . Make sure to exercise her/him a lot in evenings so doesnt get destructive during day when alone. two small dogs that can keep each other company out the back is another option, and they can be similar costs to one large dog.

Are two small dogs not double the cost of one dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I work full time & have a dog. No problem. That said, my wife was "between jobs" when we got her at 8weeks of age. I would advise against getting a puppy, unless you can be home.
    My dog was about 5/6months of age when she started being left at home. She'd naturally prefer if we were home, but there you go.

You can not, not walk if you are going to be away during the day. Our dog gets a minimum of an hours walk every week day, and longer walks the weekend. She got walked this week, during the floods. Unless you are prepared to walk, don't do it. She also sleeps inside, and shares the living room with us until bedtime. She puts herself to bed around 8/9pm when she gets too tired.

It can be done, but you're going to have to work a little harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Are two small dogs not double the cost of one dog?

Pet insurance, yearly vacinations etc are all double but you wont spend as much on two small dogs for food than you will for bigger dogs. I have two yorkies & a staffie. The staff eats twice what the yorkies eat combined per day. Also if you are putting them into kennels its very rarely twice the price for two dogs. Two of my dogs are going into kennels this weekend, its €36 for one dog or €50 for two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i echo Zulu's comments.

I have 2 rescues, one was about 2 when i got him, and there was 2 of us living in the house at that time, so he was never alone for more than 4 hours at a time.

The relationship broke up and the dog stayed with me, so i got a 2nd, to keep him company, with my parents who live near by to drop in once or twice per week.

They both get about 30/45 minute walk in the morning before i go to work, then fed and left in the garden during the day. They have a big kennel that they share, but i'm considering getting a second one as the pup is growing up!

In the evenings i come home and we go out for an hour/90 minute walk most evenings. That's not always possible but there is at least a 30 minute walk every night.

Then a long weekend off lead walk along the canal.

In terms of time impact, i'm up at 5:50am, out for a walk at 6:00am, back home and out the door for work about 7:00am/7:15am.
    Home about 5:30 pm, get changed, then out for a walk. Normally home from that around 7:00pm/7:30pm. Then feed them and make dinner for myself. Sitting down to relax after cleaning up everything about 9:00pm

It makes for a long enough day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

To be honest I'd much rather see a dog go to a good home to someone like you and your little boy than have them put to sleep in a pound or taken by someone who won't care for them properly. If you walk the dog in the morning (this is the hardest part but it has to be done) before you go to work and when you come home in the evening and get plenty of chew toys, kongs etc then I don't see why you working full time is a problem. People need to be realistic, most people have to work full time to put dinner on the table. It sounds like you've really thought it through and your little boy sounds like he wouldn't just give up on the dog either. I say go for it, just choose wisely and like you said, get an older dog who is happy to sleep/take it easy during the day but that will get loads of attention when you get home. Best of luck, I hope you find the dog you're looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

OP you sound really nice and I hope you figure out a way to get a dog but once thing to add - if you do get an older dog, they can have weaker bladders so its a long time to leave the dog without being able to get out to do its business - this would be distressing for the dog and you could be coming home to puddles etc! Even if you had a nieighbour or family member with a key that could call in for 10 mins at lunchtime to let the dog out and say hello - I think then you'd be sorted. I would never leave a dog any longer than 8 hours.

OH lord....early morning walks (no hope of that I'm afraid...I'm up at 7 to get myself and himself out the door for 8.30 as it is, honestly can't see him getting out of bed earlier than 7). Weak bladders on older dogs...oh lord. I had thought this through and I'm glad I came here, because these are things I would never have thought of before.

But...for example..Tillygirl..you're paying 50e for a weekend for kennels to mind your dogs...are there any schemes where someone like me and my son could do that type of service for free? We could have all our 'stock' (pet food or kennel) in place and mind the odd dog or two for free...am I being completely naive here? I know there's the adoption scheme that some of the pet rescue organisations do, but from what I've read, that seems to be more long-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

OH lord....early morning walks (no hope of that I'm afraid...I'm up at 7 to get myself and himself out the door for 8.30 as it is, honestly can't see him getting out of bed earlier than 7). Weak bladders on older dogs...oh lord. I had thought this through and I'm glad I came here, because these are things I would never have thought of before.

But...for example..Tillygirl..you're paying 50e for a weekend for kennels to mind your dogs...are there any schemes where someone like me and my son could do that type of service for free? We could have all our 'stock' (pet food or kennel) in place and mind the odd dog or two for free...am I being completely naive here? I know there's the adoption scheme that some of the pet rescue organisations do, but from what I've read, that seems to be more long-term.

You mean fostering a dog from a rescue shelter? Talk to your local (or further afield, most shelters are crying out for fosterers) shelter about it and see what they say.

As already said avoid puppys and pick something at least 1 year+. Do your research on different breeds but don't become too focused on any particular breed, individual dogs vary within a breed so you can't generalise too much but it'l give you a rough idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I work full time and have three dogs. When I got Tilly as a puppy I was in college/working pt so she was an adult by the time I was working ft. Other two dogs are rescues.

I think it wouldn't be fair on a puppy but an adult dog that doesn't have separation issues would be fine on it's own. Your local rescue would be able to match you with the right dog. What county are you in?

Leave the dog with filled kongs and chew toys and they will be fine.

According to popular dogs rescue it is not right and they prefer to keep dog in the shelter rather to give somebody who would leave it for 6 hours.
    I think this is CRAZY I was refused to adopt dog twice and the same rescue never helped me with stray dog when I called them because they said they were full. I also gave the same organization shop about 50 brand new DVD's just watched ones) and brand new puma shoes.
    I still can't get over it and because of them I bought my dog who is the best in the world, but I wanted to rescue one so much.
    Every time when I hear them saying how much they need help and how full of dogs is their shelter it makes me soooo angry!!!
    Also I called them and said I have some spare food (3 15kg bags) and I dont need it so they can collect when they want -never heard anything back -they were just not interested. :mad:

softmee wrote: »
    According to popular dogs rescue it is not right and they prefer to keep dog in the shelter rather to give somebody who would leave it for 6 hours.
    I think this is CRAZY I was refused to adopt dog twice and the same rescue never helped me with stray dog when I called them because they said they were full. I also gave the same organization shop about 50 brand new DVD's just watched ones) and brand new puma shoes.
    I still can't get over it and because of them I bought my dog who is the best in the world, but I wanted to rescue one so much.
    Every time when I hear them saying how much they need help and how full of dogs is their shelter it makes me soooo angry!!!
    Also I called them and said I have some spare food (3 15kg bags) and I dont need it so they can collect when they want -never heard anything back -they were just not interested. :mad:

the vast majority of rescue centres are voluntary - they cant help every stray dog - when they are full they are full. They were probably too busy to collect the food themselves as well - why not drop it to them? And you cant expect them to let you adopt a dog purely because you gave them stuff? I'm sure they were very appreciative of what you gave them (though unsure what they would do with it). I dont know any rescue that will let someone adopt a dog if they are going to be left alone all day.

Anyway - this is off topic so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

What about an older dog? We adopted a 14 yr old westie, he sleeps all day. Older dogs would be used to being left alone. Dont need as much exercise etc

the vast majority of rescue centres are voluntary - they cant help every stray dog - when they are full they are full. They were probably too busy to collect the food themselves as well - why not drop it to them? And you cant expect them to let you adopt a dog purely because you gave them stuff? I'm sure they were very appreciative of what you gave them (though unsure what they would do with it). I dont know any rescue that will let someone adopt a dog if they are going to be left alone all day.

Anyway - this is off topic so I'll leave it at that.

-you must be kidding! 6 hours is all day?

-they have shop and they sell stuff, thats why I gave them what I could sell for about 200 all together.

It is strange that you dont see anything wrong it it. They wont give somebody a dog for stupid reasons (my dog is really happy one ) but they complain they are full! This is ridiculous.

What about an older dog? We adopted a 14 yr old westie, he sleeps all day. Older dogs would be used to being left alone. Dont need as much exercise etc

have to agree with the above post a dog over 5 may suit you better as they tend to sleep all day... my cocker who is nearly 7 sleeps 20 hours a day.... even at the weekends he wrecked as we keep him awake all day :o

No I dont, I'm glad that the rescue are being responsible - and I've reported you - I've seen your rant on the 'puppy farm programme' thread. I wont be arguing with you anymore.

As I've said - this is off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Dare I suggest......

what_i_love_my_sofa_.jpg?thumbid=3

The perfect couch potato dog, ex racers are used to being alone a lot, very clean and very friendly.

-you must be kidding! 6 hours is all day?

-they have shop and they sell stuff, thats why I gave them what I could sell for about 200 all together.

It is strange that you dont see anything wrong it it. They wont give somebody a dog for stupid reasons (my dog is really happy one ) but they complain they are full! This is ridiculous.

dogs who are left all day would be far more than six hours... I leave at the lastest 7am.... i dont get home until well after 7pm each day and somedays its worse so thats 12 hours... 6 hours is a half day in fairness...

due to my ****ty hours i have a dog walker / doggie day care etc.... anything longer than 4 hours per day isnt far on the poor dog. and thats the rules of nearly all rescues and shelters :o

Whispered wrote: »
    Dare I suggest......

what_i_love_my_sofa_.jpg?thumbid=3

The perfect couch potato dog, ex racers are used to being alone a lot, very clean and very friendly.

what a gorgeous fella :D loving the tilted head!!!

No I dont, I'm glad that the rescue are being responsible - and I've reported you - I've seen your rant on the 'puppy farm programme' thread. I wont be arguing with you anymore.

As I've said - this is off topic.

:rolleyes: poor you

cocker5 wrote: »
    dogs who are left all day would be far more than six hours... I leave at the lastest 7am.... i dont get home until well after 7pm each day and somedays its worse so thats 12 hours... 6 hours is a half day in fairness...

due to my ****ty hours i have a dog walker / doggie day care etc.... anything longer than 4 hours per day isnt far on the poor dog. and thats the rules of nearly all rescues and shelters :o

So you they prefer to sit in a shelter cage or be put to sleep yes???

:rolleyes: poor you

Maybe they told you it was because of you hours but it was really because of another reason they didn't want to go into with you. Like a bad attitude. Shelter dogs rarely sit in cages - they are usually in very good foster homes and are better off there until the right home comes up, not just any home.

Cocker5 the pic is just a random pic from online. But isn't he lovely. :D

Maybe they told you it was because of you hours but it was really because of another reason they didn't want to go into with you. Like a bad attitude. Shelter dogs rarely sit in cages - they are usually in very good foster homes and are better off there until the right home comes up, not just any home.

YOU ARE JUST AN IDIOT

BUNCH OF IDIOTS

dared to say what i was thinking :P

YOU ARE JUST AN IDIOT

BUNCH OF IDIOTS

An idiot who can get/pass a home visit :p

• Advertisement

Look at the picture of my dog in the thread with pictures and think again what are you talking about people!!!! :mad:

Advertisement