Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog while working f/t?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ooooooooh OP you thanked my pic of the greyhound! Does that mean you might consider one?

They are one of the easiest dogs I've ever dealt with, due to their past they tend to do well alone for longer periods than some other breeds, they are gentle dogs and very loving.

They do need somewhere to have a burst of a run, so a large enclosed space close to you is necessary.

They are the ultimate couch potato though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Whispered wrote: »
    An idiot who can pass a home visit :p

-I never had any home visit- I was told no on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I know you're not supposed to leave your dog alone for long but I think it varies from dog to dog. I've had Rusty for 12 years and everyone would be out of the house by 7:50 and home by 4:30 and he'd be fine! But we do have a good size garden and he is a small dog so that might be a part of it. Only in recent years now that my older brother and sister have graduated from college would there be someone around during the day although it hasn't changed him at all.

I think it's actually good for the dog because he'll see you in the morning for his walk and breakfast, and then for the whole evening and another walk. The dog needs his own time to run around be crazy and be a dog rather than sitting in his basket inside. Plus if both of his owners are dog lovers then it's not as if he'll be lacking in the affection/attention is it?

One thing I'd advise though unless you can get a friend to babysit the dog for the first few weeks then don't get a puppy! Get a dog who is potty-trained! already!

photostream here's Rusty! He looks depressed in this though as he caught kennel cough in the pound when he got out one day!

softmee wrote: »
    -I never had any home visit- I was told no on the phone!

Ok I amended my post to suit you then.

OP if you are considering a greyhound, have a look here http://www.orchardgreyhoundsanctuary.com/ you'll get loads of info and an honest answer as to whether a grey is suitable for you and your circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Whispered wrote: »
    Ok I amended my post to suit you then.

-do you really think this is funny or fair when thousand of dogs are put to sleep here? Seriously think twice.

• Advertisement

-do you really think this is funny or fair when thousand of dogs are put to sleep here? Seriously think twice.

You don't need to tell me about the dogs softmee, I also don't need to be told how difficult people can be to deal with when trying to re-home a dog. Rescues are totally entitled to their rules and if you couldn't find one to rehome to you for being gone 6 hours a day then you didn't look hard enough as there are some who do. If you so badly wanted to rescue why not go to the pound? Do you really need to drag the OP's thread so far off topic? Why not start one and you can have a proper conversation?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

YOU ARE JUST AN IDIOT

BUNCH OF IDIOTS

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I would absolutely consider a greyhound:D In fact, I don't have a fancy to any particular breed at all...
    We see a greyhound with longish hair almost every day on our route to school and himself loves it and is dying to get out of the car and rub him...so yep, a greyhound, if we suited him, would definitely be an option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Oh lord, are any of ye watching Animal Clinic on RTE at the moment where the dog got stuck down the badger hole??? I've a tear in my eye:(

Advertisement