Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about tax

Options
  • 27-10-2011 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi guys,

I have browsed and searched the threads related to Australian tax and apologies but I am still overhwelmed and very confused - I was hoping someone could clear up a few things about it for me?

I have been working in OZ since December last year, I worked two jobs up until June 2011. Both jobs ended then and I moved on to Sydney where I have been since July. I now work one job. Lately, alot of my friends seem to be getting taxback. I also see advertisements for 'filling out a tax return' everywhere. I logged into the ATO website and attempted to fill out an etax lodgement but it confused me even more!

One of my jobs was Living away from home with Geoffrey Nathan, the other a regular standard tax deduction. Am I entitled to a refund? Do I need documents from Geoffrey Nathan? and what about my other job? And do these have to be done before 31st October?

I am sorry if these are blindingly obvious questions, but I can't seem to get my head around what my responsibilities are in this area, I am keen to press on and get this wrapped up but I genuinely have no idea where to begin!

Thank you so much for your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

More than likely you will be, as since most companies tax you on your week/month earnings rather than what you missed out on

You will need your end of year pay summary for both jobs (up until 30th June 2011)

Best thing to do is pop into a tax agent (DO NOT USE A BACKPACKER AD) go with someone with a fix fee rather than a %

Also you should be classed as a resident for tax purposes

Advertisement