Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone renting in NZ

• 27-10-2011 8:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭

We are, agency just sent us a letter to do an inspection.

Not that big a deal I suppose but after years in IRL of LL not caring or wanting to do stuff I guess I just want to know is it a normal thing over here?

They mentioned entering the property even if we aren't here which frankly I'm not very happy about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's totally normal, in both Ireland and New Zealand.

More likely to be done by agencies than individual landlords.

As a property owner in NZ, I chose my agent based on the fact that they do three inspections per year, and post the photos on a secure website so I can see them. I wouldn't use an agent who didn't inspect, 'cos there's too much chance of rat-bag tenants getting up to illegal stuff otherwise.

As a tenant in Ireland, I'm in a place that was originally rented to me by a relatively useless management company who never bothered their asses to inspect. Eventually I looked the building owner in the eye and asked if he'd ever thought about firing them and dealing directly with me. He had ... and I've got lower rent. Wouldn't want to do it this way if the building owner wasn't around and actively involved, though.

If you don't like the time that they've suggested, ring up and negotiate a time that suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cool thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hey ya Cookie Monster,
    Inspections are VERY common in NZ never had one in 9 years in Ireland, but reguarly had them at home.
    The LL is legally entitled to request them, (I think up to four a year.) Its all part of the course.
    Just tell them a date and time that suits you.
    Ohh and cut the grass! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,525 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kiwipower wrote: »
    Ohh and cut the grass! ;)

we have a man for that, came with the house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Your lucky Cookie Monster!
    My sister asked for a lawn mower for her birthday present as inspection was due!

My brother just had to take his stuff to a friends while his inspection went ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Yeah, have to say, I've gotten quite used to it in NZ... the majority of landlords are every three months, and it's always a big mish getting everything sorted - usually take about a week to get the place spotless, the garden mowed, all that jazz. Sorta just an accepted part of life and the joys of renting here. Didn't have anything like that where I used to flat in Ireland, but I don't have near as wide a range of flatting experiences there as I do here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Yeah, have to say, I've gotten quite used to it in NZ... the majority of landlords are every three months, and it's always a big mish getting everything sorted - usually take about a week to get the place spotless, the garden mowed, all that jazz. Sorta just an accepted part of life and the joys of renting here. Didn't have anything like that where I used to flat in Ireland, but I don't have near as wide a range of flatting experiences there as I do here.

I own & live in my own house here in Ireland, and I kinda wish I had an inspection like that - it would make me clean up properly every now & again.

I suppose a visit from my mother is close enough... :D

Advertisement