Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

120GB SSD €160

• 27-10-2011 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-Agility-120GB-Solid-State/dp/B004Z0S6SO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319674091&sr=8-1

It was already a good price before the reduction!

I would say this is cheap because the product has been causing occasional BSOD. However the latest firmware seems to have fixed this issue.

I just ordered a second. I already have one on my primary computer and am very happy with it - especially since it stopped crashing my pc every so often! It is a lot faster than spindle disks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Not worth the pain folks. Picked up one of these a few months ago and caused me no end of headaches. I had all new hardware so it took some time to pinpoint the cause of the BSODs and weird behaviour. Once i swapped the SSD out for a plain old SATA all my problems went away.

These have a bad reputation for a reason (loads of similar stories can be found on google). Save your sanity and steer clear!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just get a crucial m4. Costs a bit more, but your sanity is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Or and get an intel 320 series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

ffs
    Did any of you read my first post?
    New firmware stops the BSODs.
    I have one which would have got a bluescreen every 24h of runtime roughly. Since updating from 2.06 to 2.15 I have had zero bluescreens.

Kadongy wrote: »
    ffs
    Did any of you read my first post?
    New firmware stops the BSODs.
    I have one which would have got a bluescreen every 24h of runtime roughly. Since updating from 2.06 to 2.15 I have had zero bluescreens.

sorry! instinctive reaction whenever i see this drive mentioned!

interesting though, i haven't RMA'd mine so i might try the firmware update...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Is there any risk to the data on the drive when updating the firmware?

SickBoy wrote: »
    There is some sort of risk. They say not to do it unless you have issues. I didn't see anything where people had lost data though. It appears to be <1% chance of data loss from what I read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

SickBoy wrote: »

I've never lost any data doing an update but it's wise to back up anything important just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-Agility-120GB-Solid-State/dp/B004Z0S6SO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319674091&sr=8-1

It was already a good price before the reduction!

I would say this is cheap because the product has been causing occasional BSOD. However the latest firmware seems to have fixed this issue.

I just ordered a second. I already have one on my primary computer and am very happy with it - especially since it stopped crashing my pc every so often! It is a lot faster than spindle disks.

Seems to be available from Komplett.ie for €149 delivered ........ :confused:

Is this not the same device?

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/12_HDD/73_SDD/productdetails/20084673/_OCZ_Agility_3_SSD_120GB_2_5_SATA_600/AGT3_25SAT3_120G/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Also €139.11 (not including shipping) at Hardwareversand.de, so while it's a good price at Amazon, it's very similar elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Same device yes. Still a good price, yes. I think they must have been reduced in price in general. I paid €240 (including shipping) for one in June, from MemoryC on Amazon.co.uk [Wasn't the very cheapest price at the time but other places didn't have it in stock, and they are reliable]. £50 cheaper in their store now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Tallon wrote: »

I've found dabs.ie to be a nightmare. Twice i've made orders with them and they never got past the "processing" stage. These were items that were in stock too. Cancelled my orders both times after 2 weeks. Haven't bothered with them since.

I've dealt with them a few times, never found an issue. usually 1-2 days delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

People should consider SSD's to be a bargain only if performance is the primary gain. For Laptops, expecting a power saving might not make an expensive SSD be such a bargain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have the Crucial M4 and it's fantastic. Mine is only 64GB though. When the prices drop further i'll think about buying another!

And honestly, you really don't need that much space. Mine is a boot drive with the OS and essentials installed. I still have around 20GB free though!

Sadly, I need that much

Between programmes and games, I have barely enough as it is

Sadly, I need that much

Between programmes and games, I have barely enough as it is
    Put the programmes on a secondary drive - or even an external, and just hook it up when you want to watch them.

Sorry, programs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have a pair of 60gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD's running as a RAID0 pair on this PC and (touch wood :)) I've never had any issues at all with them in the 4 months since i built it and that's without the firmware update.

Before that, I had a single 60gb Corsair Reactor SSD in the exact same machine and it used to BSOD regularly until it wouldn't boot and I was zero writing and rebuilding it at least every 2 weeks.

now that the Sandforce FW issues are sorted I might actually venture to put the Corsair SSD into another machine as it's been sitting on my desk for the last 4 months gathering dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Michael_Myers

quarryman wrote: »
    I've found dabs.ie to be a nightmare. Twice i've made orders with them and they never got past the "processing" stage. These were items that were in stock too. Cancelled my orders both times after 2 weeks. Haven't bothered with them since.

Yes - I second that - DABS.ie are the pits - canceled 2 orders because they never passed the processing stage - I sent many emails to customer service and never sent a response - stay clear of DABS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Hard drive prices are on the rise due to factory flooding. So SSDs might become a good alternative.

Dabs.ie seem to be good enough. Just don't order stuff that is "ordered upon request" or "in stock in 1-3 days" as sometimes they get the stock delivery dates wrong. Once they do dispatch you generally get it within 1-2 days which is impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

ocz agility 3 has been €148 with free shipping on dabs.ie for months, maybe you should shop around.

And dabs is fine, it takes 2-3 days to complete processing. That or you ordered something out of stock.

How is it better? I see no difference in the specs :confused:

They also do the same device at almost €149

http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-120gb-agility-3-ssd-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7HR2.html?refs=56350000-52750000
    The one I linked to is 550mb the other is 525

The one I linked to is 550mb the other is 525
    every little helps! ;)

i imagine that in real world use, most sandforce SSD's will perform more or less the same.

no SATA3 on my mobo, so this is mine.

raid02xssdnew.jpg

still pretty respectable. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    every little helps! ;)

i imagine that in real world use, most sandforce SSD's will perform more or less the same.

no SATA3 on my mobo, so this is mine.

raid02xssdnew.jpg

still pretty respectable. :)
    well those figures (550/535 etc) are the max speeds. you would need to run the benchmark test on the drives to get a good idea of general performance.

According to this, the corsair f120 scores 219/142 where your disk scored 394/152 - so the OCZ would appear to be considerably faster in actual use.

well those figures (550/535 etc) are the max speeds. you would need to run the benchmark test on the drives to get a good idea of general performance.

According to this, the corsair f120 scores 219/142 where your disk scored 394/152 - so the OCZ would appear to be considerably faster in actual use.
    sorry, that's actually a pair of them (RAID0) running off a sata2 controller, not a single one on a sata3 one.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    sorry, that's actually a pair of them (RAID0) running off a sata2 controller, not a single one on a sata3 one.
    ah cool; I forgot you said that. I ran the same thing on mine and was wondering why the results were so different!

i've been toying with the idea of getting a sata3 controller card to get the full speed out of them, but tbh it's hard to complain about the speed as it is. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listmodule/SSD/~131072~/list.html

this is a better deal imo

free delivery

use AFFCRU to get 5% off

and if you have a irish vat number you can buy this vat free

i bought mine for €130

EDIT.. sorry about the repost didnt read the whole thread

Advertisement