Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does X hurt?

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

The ribs was the worse for me. Did 6 hours + on the ribs in one session and there was a bit of cringing, arm biting and some verbal moments not dissimilar to Steve carells chest hair waxing in 40 year old virgin. But in saying all that, you've just got to man up. I found the fleshy side area above the hips and below the ribs the sorest. The back was a walk in the park on a very sunny day in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I was planning to travel for the ribs/chest tattoo too so this is all sounding like a nightmare, if i tap out it means another flight and hotel booking.

F*ck.

nm wrote: »
    I was planning to travel for the ribs/chest tattoo too so this is all sounding like a nightmare, if i tap out it means another flight and hotel booking.

F*ck.

You'll be grand, testicular fortitude should see you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Sam Hain wrote: »
    You'll be grand, testicular fortitude should see you through.

cartoon-Betty-White-on-Balls-jpg.jpg

:P

cartoon-Betty-White-on-Balls-jpg.jpg

:P

Ha, OK, I meant an old leathery
    Golden Girl endorsed opening should see you through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Getting back of kneecap - well just slightly below the back of my kneecap - done soon. Got the lines done and found it bad, very bad ... Shading is next, can anyone who got the same area done share with me their experiences with shading and such?

I'm 17 hours into my current leg wrap and on the last leg (excuse the pun :pac:) of the tattoo - 4/5 more hours to go!

Found ankle bone, Achilles tendon and the soft skin on the upper part of my calf very bad, and I'm trying to not psych myself out for the uppermost part of the back of my calf going to the back of my kneecap :D

Experiences?

I know it's bad and very wimpy of me but I'm defo bringing in a stress ball for that session!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

I found the back of the knee to be pretty bad alright. Very tender, especially on/around the tendons. I also felt that lying down flat on the face the kneecap to be very uncomfortable after an hour or so. That definitely added to the overall unpleasantness of the session.
    I went back and got the other knee done though so it mustn't have been too bad :D

I found the back of the knee to be pretty bad alright. Very tender, especially on/around the tendons. I also felt that lying down flat on the face the kneecap to be very uncomfortable after an hour or so. That definitely added to the overall unpleasantness of the session.
    I went back and got the other knee done though so it mustn't have been too bad :D

Sucker for punishment! I know its not going to be pleasant,me it the fact that you were willing to go back and do it again is all good by me! I'm planning a rib tattoo after this one so shouldn't be as bad as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

Sucker for punishment! I know its not going to be pleasant,me it the fact that you were willing to go back and do it again is all good by me! I'm planning a rib tattoo after this one so shouldn't be as bad as that!

Yeah the bright side is that it's definitely not as bad as the ribs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Here's a question for you lovely tattooed folk:
    How does having a mild skin condition like psorisis/eczema affect the quality of your tattoos?
    I have rather dry, scratchy/flakey skin on my legs that I'm currently combating using salt scrubs and since I'm hoping to one day build up an epic leg sleeve, I'm curious about how the conditions of the skin affect the inkage.
    Also, has anyone here ever had to get touch-ups after getting a scratch or small surface injury to their tattooed skin?
    I only ask as I'm forever getting random scrapes, scabs and papercuts and I would like a little clarity.

• Advertisement

McChubbin wrote: »
    Here's a question for you lovely tattooed folk:
    How does having a mild skin condition like psorisis/eczema affect the quality of your tattoos?
    I have rather dry, scratchy/flakey skin on my legs that I'm currently combating using salt scrubs and since I'm hoping to one day build up an epic leg sleeve, I'm curious about how the conditions of the skin affect the inkage.
    Also, has anyone here ever had to get touch-ups after getting a scratch or small surface injury to their tattooed skin?
    I only ask as I'm forever getting random scrapes, scabs and papercuts and I would like a little clarity.

I wouldn't worry too much, ink goes under the skin so shouldn't be affected by minor scraps and cuts to the skin (correct me if I'm wrong)
    I'm forever getting heat rashes, scraps and cuts on my leg where I have a big tattoo and have noticed no issue with the tattoo.

I also had an ingrown hair when I got my last tattoo and my artist said not to worry, she tattooed it anyway and no pain. (It was almost healed though she wouldn't have done it otherwise)

I would have a chat with prospective artists first and see what they think. They wouldn't tattoo over freshly wounded skin and such and you can't have any creams on the skin, or perfume etc when getting the tattoo.

The skin needs to be cleaned and somewhat healed before I'd personally get a tattoo.

Now I could be completely wrong so welcome other opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I wouldn't worry too much, ink goes under the skin so shouldn't be affected by minor scraps and cuts to the skin (correct me if I'm wrong)
    I'm forever getting heat rashes, scraps and cuts on my leg where I have a big tattoo and have noticed no issue with the tattoo.

I also had an ingrown hair when I got my last tattoo and my artist said not to worry, she tattooed it anyway and no pain. (It was almost healed though she wouldn't have done it otherwise)

I would have a chat with prospective artists first and see what they think. They wouldn't tattoo over freshly wounded skin and such and you can't have any creams on the skin, or perfume etc when getting the tattoo.

The skin needs to be cleaned and somewhat healed before I'd personally get a tattoo.

Now I could be completely wrong so welcome other opinions!
    That's good, Jenny. Strictly speaking, my next planned tat will be on my left wrist-inner forearm but regarding my leg I plan to wax the hair away and scrub the flakiness before getting inked. I'm a stickler for cleanliness so I just needed to know what the story was there. :) Cheers for answering.

McChubbin wrote: »
    That's good, Jenny. Strictly speaking, my next planned tat will be on my left wrist-inner forearm but regarding my leg I plan to wax the hair away and scrub the flakiness before getting inked. I'm a stickler for cleanliness so I just needed to know what the story was there. :) Cheers for answering.

Wax at least 48 hours before hand to let the skin heal. And do a good exfoliating scrub 24 hours before. Don't want irritated skin going in, like k said though your artist will be able to give you more precise info regarding this as they know better than I do regarding the skin healing after the use of medicated creams and damaged skin scrubs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

So I'm thinking of getting a tattoo. I've never had one before and my mother, who has loads, was always quite against me getting one. However, my dog (who means a huge amount to me and is probably the only reason I'm still sane after a number of past traumas) is getting on in years and I want something to remember him by. I was going to get a print of his paw (back one because his front paws are huge!) and have Dumbledore's "Death is but the next great adventure" circling it. On thinking of locations, there's really only one place it would suit, which is my left rib (beside my heart). The biggest problem is that, as painful as I heard rib tattoos are, I tore a muscle in my left rib causing a bone to dislocate several years ago, which I never got fixed. I was wondering if the numbing creams really work, or would I be better off just forgetting about that location?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

If i numbed your top layer of skin then proceed to stab you with a needle deeper than your very top layer of skin a few thousand times an hour do you think it'd be numb?

Any artist worth his/her salt wouldn't do a rib tattoo as a first tattoo. It's very, very intense and If you've never had a tattoo before I would not recommend one there.

Advertisement