Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does X hurt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Has anyone got a VCH and a Christina done? I have my VCH done since September and I have had no problems with it but I'm wondering if anyone has had a Christina done too? Do they hit off each other and do they affect each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I found the elbows ok, but you're right about the knee cap......****ing horrendous personally. Healing wasn't as bad as the back of the knee but my right knee really swelled, left not so much
    Am starting a full sleeve later this month and the elbow is the one place that scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭paul_booth_fan

dinorebel wrote: »
    Am starting a full sleeve later this month and the elbow is the one place that scares me.
    Don't worry about it. If you're really weary of them though, just ask for the sleeve to be worked around the elbow. There's no need to work on it for an hour or anything, simple bit of shading or background will still complete the sleeve. Just give the artist plenty of notice etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The noise of the tattoo machine makes me really sleepy!!

that's how I feel when I get a haircut with a razor, makes me dozey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'm sure it's just that everyone's pain threshold is different. When I was getting my forearm done a couple of weeks ago, I was told it was gonna be a bitch to get done, but it was actually fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm sure it's just that everyone's pain threshold is different. When I was getting my forearm done a couple of weeks ago, I was told it was gonna be a bitch to get done, but it was actually fine.

I found my left forearm painless, but my right forearm was a fúcking cnut to do, I was wincing throughout the second hour. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

It all hurts...some more parts more than others but I had four hours on my forearm the other day and I hated every bit...always have, always will !

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I found my left forearm painless, but my right forearm was a fúcking cnut to do, I was wincing throughout the second hour. :pac:

Then maybe my left will be a bitch. On this one I started wincing after the fifth hour, other than that it was surprisingly ok. Dreading going back to get my Alien tatt finished though. It's right to the spine in places and hurts like f**k!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

had my first laser removal session on wednesday.getting some old and badly done ink removed to make way for a sleeve.didn't really know what to expect.the guy in the shop told me it was like "getting a twang with an elastic band.....repeatedly....very fast....and that the elastic band is searing hot." lo and behold thats exactly what it felt like.it wasn't a bad pain,very akin to the pain of getting a tattoo,just a different sensation.the smell was terrible though,it was like burnt hair.it swelled up like a bitch for a few hours and was extremely red/bruised for 2days afterwards.its settled down now.its itchy/dry today,feels quite the same as if i had just gotten a new tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 10 vwnan

Its not sore at all, i fell asleep gettin my first ever tattoo, which was on the bottom of my back... its pretty big 2, but i never found it sore to be honest.. dont b frettin..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Generally I find that the less flesh between where you get the tattoo done and the bone, the more painful it is.

Having said that sometimes I find holding a particular part of the body still in the same position for an extended period of time can be the most painful aspect of getting inked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

vwnan wrote: »
    Its not sore at all, i fell asleep gettin my first ever tattoo, which was on the bottom of my back... its pretty big 2, but i never found it sore to be honest.. dont b frettin..

I would find it very hard to believe that a sober person could fall asleep getting a tattoo.

Like most here I've tattoo's on all my limbs, my back and chest are free. Some hurt worse than others.. The back of my calf, esp near the back of my knee was horrendous.. And two and a half hours on my fore arm on Sunday was a doddle in comparison but I can't believe someone could sleep during the process.

I would find it very hard to believe that a sober person could fall asleep getting a tattoo.

Like most here I've tattoo's on all my limbs, my back and chest are free. Some hurt worse than others.. The back of my calf, esp near the back of my knee was horrendous.. And two and a half hours on my fore arm on Sunday was a doddle in comparison but I can't believe someone could sleep during the process.
    I gotta agree, never have i even come close to falling asleep. I've countless hours done, both legs and feet, both arms, stomach, ribs, chest and back. I've definitely been bored sometimes, but never sleepy

I gotta agree, never have i even come close to falling asleep. I've countless hours done, both legs and feet, both arms, stomach, ribs, chest and back. I've definitely been bored sometimes, but never sleepy

Agreed with this and Makikomi's post.

I haven't found any of my tattoos particularly painful (bar my most recent one, which made me wince a few times!), and two of them I found utterly and completely painless, but I still came nowhere near to falling asleep. Even if it doesn't hurt, the sensation of having your skin repeatedly jabbed at with a needle is going to keep anyone awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ive come close to sleeping at one point when getting my ribs done, it was the first hour and a half and I was proper tired going in wa so close to dozing of when Remis wanted to stop to take a break I was devastated I wasnt feeling was so close to falling asleep after a 15 minute break and going back at it I soon started to feel the pain :o.

So I will say it could be possible but to say it doesnt hurt at all is a huge over statement unless vwnan was drugged out there head or something, or there idea of pretty big is actually small.

I got my first on my arm and it took 5 hours.

The last twenty minutes were worse than the 4:40 beforehand, I'd run out of stamina, was cold and feeling every hit of the needle. Before that happened I barely noticed any pain.

I now understand why people say they like it and that its addictive, I really enjoyed it!

Dermighty wrote: »
    I got my first on my arm and it took 5 hours.

The last twenty minutes were worse than the 4:40 beforehand, I'd run out of stamina, was cold and feeling every hit of the needle. Before that happened I barely noticed any pain.

I now understand why people say they like it and that its addictive, I really enjoyed it!

I can almost guarantee that in a month or two, you'll be DYING for another one. :pac: I always said 'Ah, sure I'm only getting one, that's all I want.'

I waited about 2 years after my first to get anymore done. Then got three done in the space of ten months. Had my last done a month and a few days ago, planning another in a month. :pac:

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I can almost guarantee that in a month or two, you'll be DYING for another one. :pac: I always said 'Ah, sure I'm only getting one, that's all I want.'

I waited about 2 years after my first to get anymore done. Then got three done in the space of ten months. Had my last done a month and a few days ago, planning another in a month. :pac:

Coincidentally, I was 2 hours in and I showed him a picture on my phone of the next one I wanted, so I've already decided on that :P

The only thing I'd have to think about would be placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 workaholicboy

Tattoo hurt for first 10 mins or so but I got used to it. Healed up grand and would definitely get more. Hard to pick another design.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

Got my 1st tattoo last week. Thinking of my 2nd already. Have an idea of what I want, but in saying that, my 1st tattoo is different to what I'd originally wanted after speaking to tattoo guy, he made suggestions to improve it. It wasn't sore either, more uncomfortable. Mine is on my wrist.

• Advertisement

carolinej wrote: »
    Got my 1st tattoo last week. Thinking of my 2nd already. Have an idea of what I want, but in saying that, my 1st tattoo is different to what I'd originally wanted after speaking to tattoo guy, he made suggestions to improve it. It wasn't sore either, more uncomfortable. Mine is on my wrist.

Pics or it didn't happen. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

Pics or it didn't happen. LOL

Here yis go...I no liar :D

8434249554_459560530a_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kennyboy9563

does age matter when getting first tattoo, I'm nearly fifty and for years contemplated getting one done. It would be to commererate a significant event that happened many,many years ago but fear of looking foolish, and fear itself, seems to be stopping me.

does age matter when getting first tattoo, I'm nearly fifty and for years contemplated getting one done. It would be to commererate a significant event that happened many,many years ago but fear of looking foolish, and fear itself, seems to be stopping me.
    Not at all I'm 50 and have just started a full sleeve go for it would be my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Once you're over 18, are sure what you want, and get someone with the skill to do what you want, then go for it, and to be blunt... f**k the begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kennyboy9563

thanks for replies. Any recomendations for a tattoo parlour in city centre. I know everyone will have their own favourites but your opinions would be appreciated for this "virgin".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It'll really depend on what you want done, and the style that you want it done in, as different artists have different aptitudes.

thanks for replies. Any recomendations for a tattoo parlour in city centre. I know everyone will have their own favourites but your opinions would be appreciated for this "virgin".
    I would recommend Wildcat but if you ask 4 different posters you'll get 4 different answers.Have a look at them online and compare galleries then visit the one you like to talk about the work you want doing.

I've been going to Sean in Zulu Tattoo for 10 years now, couldn't recommend him or the shop enough. Honestly though, everyone here will have their own opinions, all I'd say is go where YOU feel comfortable. It's meant to be an experience, you should be able to relax and enjoy it.........until the pain starts, of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

As Damo said different artists are better at different things. Best idea is to have a good think about what you want and how you want it done, then make a new thread with your ideas and we can give recommendations based on style.

Then you can see who you gel with.

Advertisement