Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Fat Fryer with a drop of oil?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking about buying one of the new deep fryers that only use a spoonful of oil. Thing is, I dont wanna buy it & find out theyre crap!!

Anyone bought one? nice chips? chicken wings go crispy? Would you recommend them?

I have a recipe for Elephant & Castle wings, made it in the oven with diced fillets instead, it was gorgeous & less messy cos I could use a knife & fork, thing is, Id prefer if they were a little bit crispier.

Havent owned a deep fryer for 5 years & havent missed it once (until now)
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

never heard of'em have you alink to one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are several threads on here about them, either the Tefal Actifry or the Philips Airfryer. Do a search on either of those two and you'll find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Theyre quite expensive, but totally worth it if they are as good as the real thing.
    I just cant understand how they would be as good!!

Also, read A LOT of reviews saying they go on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I've seen the Airfryer at work, and tasted the stuff from it. As far as i can see, as long as you put quality chips/sausages/chicken nuggets etc in it, it works great! but if you put lidl stuff in it, it just doesnt taste nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a recipe for Elephant & Castle wings, made it in the oven with diced fillets instead,

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    The clue is in the name - "wings".
    Substituting wings with fillets is just plain wrong!

• Advertisement

I have a recipe for Elephant & Castle wings, made it in the oven with diced fillets instead,

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    The clue is in the name - "wings".
    Substituting wings with fillets is just plain wrong!

I see ur point, but it's so good to be able to take big chunks of juicy chicken & sauce without trying to eat tiny bits of meat out from between bone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I see ur point, but it's so good to be able to take big chunks of juicy chicken & sauce without trying to eat tiny bits of meat out from between bone!

That, my friend, is a matter of opinion.;)

Skin, bone succulent meat, fat, gristle, hot sauce = deliciousness.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I have 1 that was used once I will sell it to you if you want because I didn't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Adverts.ie is the place for that thanks.

tHB

Gristle? Fat? Bone?

Or pure tender breast. No contest!! But each to their own opinion I suppose.
    I know people who prefer ox-tails to fillet steak!!

What sort of money Carpenter? & where abouts are you living?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I bought the Tefal Actifry as a present to my father, about 4 years ago when they first came on the market. He had used it only 3 times, when on the 3 time the whole unit went on fire. The fan had stopped working, causing the machine to overheat and burst into flames. It was a ball of flames by the time we realised (out of the kitchen at the time).
    Took it back to the shop where we got a full refund. Would not buy again, and wouldn't recommend.
    It's not the first time this has happened http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2008/11/chip_pans_up_in_smoke.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I heard they're not great.

If you don't plan on using it frequently, would you not just use a pot of oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

ElleEm wrote: »
    I heard they're not great.

If you don't plan on using it frequently, would you not just use a pot of oil?

For me it was health and kitchen stink reasons!.

I have one (however having stopped eating spuds it isn't getting much use), but when i was using it, I found it amazing.

Chips tasted like they were cooked in a real deep fat frier rather than horrible flaccid oven things. You do need to follow the instructions however, chips must be dry (and real rather than frozen preferrably).

At one point I was away for a month and loaned it to my sister, who wept when i demanded it back :D

In terms of the thing spontaneously igniting, never happened to me and I was using it regularly enough.

They are expensive however.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

We've had an actifry for about three years and it is quality. No spontaneous combustion here but some gorgeous chips. Really crunchy and lovely.

Having said all that, I'm still looking out for a real deep fat fryer for chicken wings. They just wouldn't work in an Actifry but as a chip cooker it is ace. I'll still be cooking chipps in the Actifry even when I get a deep fat fryer for the wings.

We just use frozen chips and they taste so much better than they would from an oven and comparable with a fryer.

Advertisement