Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus Transformer Prime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

From Tech Radar:
    Asus Transformer Prime quad-core tablet revealed

Asus CEO Jonney Shih took to the stage at AsiaD this week to show off the company's latest jaunt into the tablet world – the Transformer Prime.

Taking its name inspiration – we are guessing – from those lovely robots in disguise, the tablet boasts a number of impressive specs.

These include, a battery life of 14.5 hours, 10-inch screen, a quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 chip (the 'Kal-el' processor) and the fact that it is just 8.3mm thick.

The original Asus Eee Pad Transformer - which was something of a critical darling - was 12.99mm thick, so there's a pretty big difference in size there.

Prime time
    The Transformer Prime looks set to run on Android 3.0 Honeycomb when it launches, although Shih did hint that the tablet would be getting an Android 4.0 upgrade 'before the end of the year'.

Unfortunately, as this was just a tease there is not much more known about the tablet – the official launch date for the Transformer Prime is set for 9 November.

That is unless Prime and the gang get called up to destroy those pesky Deceptions.

My biggest concern with the Transformer was its weight. Hopefully the reduced width will translate to a reduced weight also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This has my name on it. Any chance of seeing it over here this side of Christmas I wonder?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This looks like it will be outside my budget but hopefully it's awesome enough to force every other tablet to slash its price.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

I'll wait to see how much it costs. If it's too much, I'll buy the original Asus Transformer ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

See asus germany said on their facebook that its shipping with honeycomb not ics.
    Not too bothered by that should be upgraded sooner rather than later.

Looks like the shipping date is nov 9th according to a internal asus document leak found by some android news sites.

Can't wait for this to come out. I think it'll definitely be my first tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

Details of the new Asus Transformer Prime which was announced last night can be found here.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/transformer-prime-detailed-10-inch-super-ips-display-12-hour/

$499 for the 32Gb model + $149 for the keyboard.

Dear Santa
    I've been a very good boy and I would like....

I wonder will this one play high-def video. The first one's inability to do that put me right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

sold! now if only they release this thing quickly in the states so I can tie it in with my sister coming home for xmas ;)

some tech sites stating January availability in the UK (December US).

I got some vouchers for PC World - so I may have to wait post Jan to get one (assuming reviews show this baby lives up to expectation).

It's be interesting to see Samsung's line up to 2012 - only speculation but maybe they will announce something at CES 2012. Whilst their 7.7" is due even a dual-core 1.5Ghz won't stack up against the Prime especially given the Prime has USB/SD connectivity albeit on the keyboard/dock.

Look's like Asus are gonna keep us hanging on (until after xmas anyway)

• Advertisement

a-SOOZ ?

I've never been sure how to pronounce it but that's the first time I heard that

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

I was going to buy the transformer on amazon for €450 inc the keyboard but seemingly the prime will be on sale for $500 with an extra $150 for the keyboard which will work out about €480, dont know about shipping but if this is going to be the price of it it would be mad of me to buy the older model? Anyone have any idea when it will be out on sale here?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

From what I've seen it seems like January for us.

Think i will just hold out and wait for it, i was looking forward to getting the other one but would prob be worth the wait:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Ye in the same boat myself, mad to get a tablet, but the wait should be worth it.

Yes, but can we wait that long :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

This looks like the android tab i've been waiting for.

Can't see much downsides apart from maybe the fact the price is expensive enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

600 Euro from our friends at FNAC includes keyboard. 16th December release date too

Id imagine that brings the without keyboard to 499.

http://www.fnac.com/Asus-EeePad-Transformer-Prime-TF201-10-1-LED-32-Go-Gris-Station-d-accueil/a3886398/w-4#bl=HGBPlsi2

Rafloution wrote: »
    600 Euro from our friends at FNAC includes keyboard. 16th December release date too

Id imagine that brings the without keyboard to 499.

http://www.fnac.com/Asus-EeePad-Transformer-Prime-TF201-10-1-LED-32-Go-Gris-Station-d-accueil/a3886398/w-4#bl=HGBPlsi2

I thought it wasn't being sold over here till after Christmas, is fnac usually accurate for this kind of thing?

Presumably if bought from France change of language wont be a problem. QWERTY keyboard too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

shoutman wrote: »
    Presumably if bought from France change of language wont be a problem.

nah cause as far as I remember language selection is the first option you have to pick when setting up a new android device

I thought it wasn't being sold over here till after Christmas, is fnac usually accurate for this kind of thing?

Presumably if bought from France change of language wont be a problem. QWERTY keyboard too?

AZERTY keyboard if you buy from France (at least the original Transformers all sold with one). You really don't want one of those!

Will this take a sim-card? as with vodafone you are charged to use tethering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

bah :-/ 19th December confirmed in the US. looks like it'll be January for us folk :(

Batch of reviews can be found below... Would seem all very good (but not necessarily WOW! Perhaps when thing gets ICS it will be).

short and high level video review
    http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/1/2601558/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-review

Engadget
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-review/#continued

Detailed (very)
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5163/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-tegra-3-review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Anyone use Android to VPN to a Windows machine? If this could handle this with ease it would be a must buy for me. Need VPN for work occasionally.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Anyone use Android to VPN to a Windows machine? If this could handle this with ease it would be a must buy for me. Need VPN for work occasionally.

I don't have product names -but believe Citrix and LogMeIn clients are available for Android. Could be others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

JoeyJJ wrote: »

I use PocketCloud for my tablet and phone. Great app.

Teamviewer also works

• Advertisement

Simplyelectronics are Simplyshíte. Stay away is the best advice given iirc

Simplyelectronics are Simplyshíte. Stay away is the best advice given iirc

Must admit I never had any problems with them ...

Indeed I suppose there are people who have had good experiences with them. Buyer beware etc do the research before spending 5-600 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Will this take a sim-card? as with vodafone you are charged to use tethering

There's no charge for tethering if you use an android phone.

Update to this, I got an email from ASUS UK who said released date for UK/Ireland is early January 2012

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Seriously cannot wait for this, fu*k knows where the cash is coming from but ill definitely get it for sure.

So, with people in us due to receive there pre orders over the next day or two, who on here has pre ordered and if so from where?

A few big bears for me are that we can't get the 64gb version unless we import it from us? Anybody have a clue of the reasoning behind this choice? Also annoying for me is the lack of a 3g version however I do understand that they feel people can just tether from their phone, this isn't all that practical in my case.

I'm going to give it until Christmas and see what the feedback is from the us then ill look to buy it off Amazon or carphone warehouse if it means I can pick it up in store.

Should be a beast!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

Will the new Prime tablet fit into the old transformer keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

ludermor wrote: »

No, apparently not.

• Advertisement

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Seriously cannot wait for this, fu*k knows where the cash is coming from but ill definitely get it for sure.

Asus EeePad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1 inch Tablet with Keyboard/Dock on Amazon.co.uk
    Available for pre-order. This item will be released on 12 January 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dhoun wrote: »
    Asus EeePad Transformer Prime TF201 10.1 inch Tablet with Keyboard/Dock on Amazon.co.uk
    Available for pre-order. This item will be released on 12 January 2012.

I wouldn't bank on that. The last Transformer went through a number of release dates before it arrived.

Anybody know where I can get the transleeve for the transformer prime in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Anybody know where I can get the transleeve for the transformer prime in the UK?

Haven't seen it yet but it's on amazon.de

Also came across a list of accessories on XDA. Mostly US, but nice to look at.

Has anyone got one of these yet? I was thinking of ordering from the US, how likely is it that i will get caught for tax's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ludermor wrote: »

Well according to the Endgadget review above the new keyboard doesn't work with the old Transformer because of differing dimensions, so I'm guessing no.

Comet.co.uk seem to have stock for delivery ( only to NI addresses) search for tf201.

I have signed up with deliverme.ie 22 euro next day delivery so should have it by 4-5th January. Comet delivering on the 3rd.

Comet.co.uk seem to have stock for delivery ( only to NI addresses) search for tf201.

I have signed up with deliverme.ie 22 euro next day delivery so should have it by 4-5th January. Comet delivering on the 3rd.

I did a search for it but giving no purchase option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Has anyone got one of these yet? I was thinking of ordering from the US, how likely is it that i will get caught for tax's?

99 percent likely. Doubt any company would ship something like that without declaring the full value.

Where can I pre order it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement