Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus Transformer Prime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

It looks like comet went out of stock theimprover. Amazon uk out of stock too. I think expansys might be an option for you

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

FNAC have the Prime, but the keyboard, if you want it, will suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

FNAC have the Prime, but the keyboard, if you want it, will suck.

They only have it on pre-order. I still would't take the Jan 12th date as a given. I went through various disappointments waiting for the original Transformer so I'm doubtful if Asus have sorted their supply issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'm following the Transfromer Prime forum on XDA developers which has a lot of users.

The story as it stands is as follows:

A lot of the retailers (PC World etc.) have it in stock in the UK, but as per "the rules" they aren't allowed sell it until the 12th of January. However, some people have posted up that they managed to convince staff to sell them a tablet (Note: this is the UK, not Ireland)

People who ordered from Curry's have already received their tablets, but as posted it is up as being sold out, and people are speculating that they wont be selling anymore before the deadline on the 12th.

Myself I've ordered mine through Amazon and it's due to be delivered on the 11th arriving on the 12th-13th. I have ordered through Amazon due to their good customer service and returns policy as a lot of the first batch of the Transformer prime seems to be riddled with problems, Wifi/GPS not working, stuck pixels, bleeding screens, dust between glass and screen etc.
    That said those without problems seem to speak very highly of it.

IMO no point ordering the tab from the US as if you want the 64gb version just get a high memory SD card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

or 600 yoyos without the keyboard from http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0067VGSUC/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=computers&psc=1

64g version

Shipping in 1-2 months.

I can't get my head around why anyone would pay 100-150 euros extra for a bit of extra internal memory when it has two SD card slots and a USB port.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

I have just pre ordered with expansys

Managed to bag a prime in pc world blanch. Grey it was the only one they had.

599 the price.

• Advertisement

Three interesting bits of news on this:

The bootloader is locked but they'll provide a way of unlocking it soon (which will void the warranty).
    ICS will be pushed out worldwide from January 12th.
    The crappy GPS won't be fixed and they've even removed it from the specs.

Source

Rafloution wrote: »
    Managed to bag a prime in pc world blanch. Grey it was the only one they had.

599 the price.

The yoda app you are using?

Did that come with the keyboard?

With keyboard 32GB...and lets just say there was nervous times when he was bringing it out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

How is it? worth the €600 tag?

And is the keyboard worth the extra bit? :pac:

WiFi is quite bad as has been reported I hope this can be fixed with firmware update. Stock browser is a bit laggy. Other than that its quite an amazing bit of kit, screen is very clear.

I didnt have a choice on keyboard, which I think should be a choice accessory. I might sell it given the shortage in the US as they dont bundle them together and try and claw some cash back.

599 cash price is a bit hefty but given the ipad will come in at 479 for 16gb this thing has 32 GB which is expandable and dock, usb and hdmi out.

ICS is out on the 12th for the Prime. Let us know if you get it and it fixes any of the problems?

• Advertisement

Will do, i think there is an update pushed out today which makes it more smooth. My WiFi would be a concern as im quite a bit away from the router and getting poor signal (1 bar) which compared to iPad which has 3 bars. This is then affecting speed for streaming etc.

Not too bothered about GPS as I see they have pulled that from the specs.

From what I gather the units with WiFi problems are being RMAed as it's nothing a firmware update can fix, but it's not conclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Yeah the metal construction are the causes for the poor Wifi and even worse GPS.

It's a pitty I can't see myself shelling out that amount of money for this when it's not working how it should. Best off to hold on past CES and the mobile conference now to see what other Tegra 3 tablets get announced.. Was really wanting that keyboard though.

Google have their own Nexus tablet out this year, hopefully it's at the start of it :pac:

You were lucky to get one from PC World.

For anyone else who wants to give it a go it seems that every PC world/ Dixons has been given one grey transformer prime, before the official release date (Dec 12th) presumably as a display model, however nobody has told the employees that it is a display model and when asked if they have one in stock on their systems they are happy to sell it!

You were lucky to get one from PC World.

For anyone else who wants to give it a go it seems that every PC world/ Dixons has been given one grey transformer prime, before the official release date (Dec 12th) presumably as a display model, however nobody has told the employees that it is a display model and when asked if they have one in stock on their systems they are happy to sell it!

• Advertisement

yes indeed shoutman, it seems just the megastores have them. In Dublin Blanch was the only store that had one.

i have an ipad I must say this thing is smooth compared to it. There are some bugs that need fixing it has settled down a wee bit with the latest firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Three interesting bits of news on this:

The bootloader is locked but they'll provide a way of unlocking it soon (which will void the warranty).
    ICS will be pushed out worldwide from January 12th.
    The crappy GPS won't be fixed and they've even removed it from the specs.

Source

Disappointed to hear that, that's a deal breaker for me. Looks like Ill have to wait for something else, maybe Samsungs rumored 11.6'' tablet.

marathont wrote: »
    Disappointed to hear that, that's a deal breaker for me. Looks like Ill have to wait for something else, maybe Samsungs rumored 11.6'' tablet.

I'm curious - I have an original Transformer and I've never used GPS on it. When would you use GPS on a tablet?

I'm curious - I have an original Transformer and I've never used GPS on it. When would you use GPS on a tablet?

When would you use it on you smart phone??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

In the car as a GPS but I dont see myself mounting my tablet to the windscreen anytime soon or walking around with it to get directions when a little lost

:confused:
    In the car as a GPS but I dont see myself mounting my tablet to the windscreen anytime soon or walking around with it to get directions when a little lost

I use it all the time on my phone for sat nav - a lot of people do. Sticking a 10" tablet on your windscreen or holding it as you wander the streets of a foreign city doesn't strike me as practical.

Look i use my GPS on my phone, you can get holders for a tablet to mount it to your dashboard or windscreen, its not that big, and if the GPS will work properly i would prefer to use it rather than my phone for a gps as you could see the map more clearly, just my 2pence worth.

I was been sarcastic when i asked:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Maybe not a lot, but I would not spend that much money on what I now consider a defective product.

Also you never know what location based apps you might want to use in the future.

Look i use my GPS on my phone, you can get holders for a tablet to mount it to your dashboard or windscreen, its not that big, and if the GPS will work properly i would prefer to use it rather than my phone for a gps as you could see the map more clearly, just my 2pence worth.

I was been sarcastic when i asked:p

It is that big - a 10" tablet mounted on your windscreen would be ludicrous and elsewhere in the car would be a lethal distraction.
    Maybe not a lot, but I would not spend that much money on what I now consider a defective product.

Also you never know what location based apps you might want to use in the future.

I can see your point on location-based apps.

Asus announces Transformer Prime TF700T :eek:

Available Q2 2012 with GPS fix, better front camera and 1920x1200 display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Christ I'd be raging if I'd just bought the old model :eek:

Although, realistically Q2 probably means June 30th so at least its not hitting the shelves just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone any idea where to buy this?OR at least, any place intending to stock it soon

ICS update for this has rolled out in the States today, "other countries to follow".

titan18 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea where to buy this?OR at least, any place intending to stock it soon

You can preorder on expanys.com

Anybody on here got this yet?
    I'm still waiting on my one, the launch has been an absolute mess, amazon didn't have any delivered an Asus just seem to be so amateur.

Heard very mixed reports about the performance f the tablet but those who have a fully functioning one think its great.
    I've ordered from John Lewis as they are giving a two year warranty with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Transformer prime 32GB Champagne with Dock are now in stock on komplett.ie.

LINK

Did you not notice the price, £1,037.25:eek::eek::eek:

They are from third party seller, they had some for sale from Amazon at 499.99 gbp. Now out of stock

• Advertisement

They are from third party seller, they had some for sale from Amazon at 499.99 gbp. Now out of stock

They were there when you posted - a friend of mine's been waiting for one and ordered. He's had bad experiences with Komplett.

They were there when you posted - a friend of mine's been waiting for one and ordered. He's had bad experiences with Komplett.

I have used Komplett in the past (only the once) for a pc monitor and had no problems, also have a friend who has used them a few times with no problems. Would be interesting to see if anyone else had any issues with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

Refunds being offered in the UK (Ireland too?) for those unsatisfied with Prime wifi issues etc etc

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/18/asus-offers-refunds-and-extended-warranties/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Prime wifi issues

Asus say the wifi issues were only in the test versions given to the media.
    The version shipped to customers has two wifi antannas to help boost the signal.

The GPS is apparently unusable. This is probably why they have to offer refunds in the UK as the device was advertised as having a GPS and for all intents and purposes it does not work.

Anyone aware of anywhere in Ireland when I can buy today and pick up before monday?

Being d!cked over horribly ordering it here in the UK, ordered on the 25th of December for a January 6 release date, and now just been told it will be at least 2-3 weeks!

Check this out http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/transformer-prime-general-discussions/9705-official-i-got-my-transformer-prime-thread-30.html people here have bought and tested it, i read about 4 pages and they all seem to be happy with the wifi, the GPS seems to be a problem alright, in saying that it is a lot of money to fork out to take a chance on it, my head is wrecked over it, dont know whether to get it or not. I am heading to Oz in 8wks and i want a tablet for going over there. I was all excited about getting the prime but now i just dont know what to do, hopefully i can get some reassurance hereconfused.gif

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Anyone aware of anywhere in Ireland when I can buy today and pick up before monday?

Being d!cked over horribly ordering it here in the UK, ordered on the 25th of December for a January 6 release date, and now just been told it will be at least 2-3 weeks!

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_02TAB/01_TABLETS/productdetails/80004485/Asus_10_TF201_1I040A_Tablet_32GB%2bDOCK_CHAMPAGNE/90OK0AB2100870Y/default.aspx

I have used Komplett in the past (only the once) for a pc monitor and had no problems, also have a friend who has used them a few times with no problems. Would be interesting to see if anyone else had any issues with them.

Since you can't be bothered to search I'll fill you in. Komplett went through a change of ownership in 2010 and the transition was a monumental disaster. It got to the stage that komplett reps here on boards were openly posting that they were p1ssed off.

So yes, thousands of people had issues with them. I have no idea whether they've sorted it out because they f****d up one order so badly on me that I've never looked at their website since.

Komplett get there orders in from Holland it seems so it wont be ready for the weekend and i'm back here (UK) sunday night, so no good to me i'm afriad.

Since you can't be bothered to search .

Who said i couldn't be bothered to do a search?, its not as if i deal with them everyday, i dealt with them once and had no problems and have a friend that has dealt with them, but now that i know, i will do a search, sorry if i inconvenienced you:rolleyes:

shoutman wrote: »
    Komplett get there orders in from Holland it seems so it wont be ready for the weekend and i'm back here (UK) sunday night, so no good to me i'm afriad.

It says when you go to checkout that you can pick up in Dublin 2-4 days, but as you can see above it is advised to stay well away from them

• Advertisement
Advertisement