Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus Transformer Prime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

Would appear a firmware update is helping GPS issues that have been reported - not sure if device needs to be rooted first.:confused:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/19/transformer-prime-quietly-gets-gps-update-root-killer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Thinking of getting it. Anybody know if the wifi and other problems are fixed yet? Or will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Where can this be bought in the US cheap, also are these problems that bad or is there a tablet that would be recommended over this.

Not interested in waiting for the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Just throwing my 2cent in. Lots of people who had this device decided they had problems even before they turned the device on. They jumped on the bandwagon because it gave them an interest.

The wifi issue isnt replicated to the EU, some people just want the chance to moan.

Anyway if you want to get it just buy it and test it, if the wifi doesn't work then take it back for a refund. you will have x amount of days depending on the retailer.

Anybody know of any other retailers stocking these apart from komplett? Even some pre order resellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Rafloution wrote: »
    Just throwing my 2cent in. Lots of people who had this device decided they had problems even before they turned the device on. They jumped on the bandwagon because it gave them an interest.

The wifi issue isnt replicated to the EU, some people just want the chance to moan.

Anyway if you want to get it just buy it and test it, if the wifi doesn't work then take it back for a refund. you will have x amount of days depending on the retailer.

It would be a US one i would have gotten and won't get much of a chance to try it out before having to come back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭liko

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Anybody know of any other retailers stocking these apart from komplett? Even some pre order resellers.

www.expansys.ie, www.elara.ie - try those. And ofc www.amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭liko

Some stores may bring transformers from the US...So you never know if you will have the good one, the bad or the ugly :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

liko wrote: »

I've had a pre-order with amazon since christmas day, no point going with them imo! Komplett delivering to Ireland in three to four working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Amazon in stock now http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-EeePad-Transformer-Tablet-Keyboard/dp/B006NTUJ0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327050386&sr=8-1

Delivery early next week.

Id say shoutman has pre order for gold which is pretty hard to get at the moment. The ones above are grey.

Just to add aswell I contacted ASUS UK with regards to extended warranty. They announced on Monday the UK would get 18 month warranty on the TF201. They confirmed to me via twitter this applied to Ireland too.

• Advertisement

Amazon in stock now http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-EeePad-Transformer-Tablet-Keyboard/dp/B006NTUJ0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327050386&sr=8-1

Id say shoutman has pre order for gold which is pretty hard to get at the moment. The ones above are grey.

Just to add aswell I contacted ASUS UK with regards to extended warranty. They announced on Monday the UK would get 18 month warranty on the TF201. They confirmed to me via twitter this applied to Ireland too.

Thanks for the tip! This is encouraging me to get one sooner. I think i might wait for the ipad 3 to be announced in feb, and then make my decision between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

My sister bought one from amazon. She thought it was a laptop running windows! She will probably return it as it doesn't do the type of stuff that she needs. Stunning machine though, and I set it up for her and noticed no WiFi issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

The link is to a 3rd party seller chancing their arm. It's about twice the price I'd expect Amazon to be selling at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

amby666 wrote: »
    The link is to a 3rd party seller chancing their arm. It's about twice the price I'd expect Amazon to be selling at.

You'll need to be a lot quicker to pick one up from Amazon - every batch is selling out quickly.

Anyway, I got to play with one of these today and I must say it's a beautiful piece of kit. I've been using ICS on my phone but it really looks stunning on this. It's very well built but also feels light. The keyboard is very similar to the original Transformer but thinner. Wifi is fine but sound isn't on a par with the original. (No issues if you use headphones though).

Loved it but I couldn't justify buying it as I'm very happy with the original TF101.

Yeah seems that amazons batch sold out in about a day and now only high priced 3rd party sellers remain. By the time i would buy one of these (in a few weeks when the ipad 3 is announced so i can make a choice) , there should hopefully be plentiful stocks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

emo72's sister could make a few quid re-selling hers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

emo72's sister could make a few quid re-selling hers :D
    cost price with all receipts and stuff, its going back across the water otherwise. Pm if interested. Lucan.

Amazon still sold out apart from overpriced third parties. Anybody find any more sellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rob86s

Amazon still sold out apart from overpriced third parties. Anybody find any more sellers?
    What do u mean by overpriced?just got one from komplett for599e 32gb with dock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

What are the chances of getting this baby WITHOUT the keyboard dock?

I already have a good quality Logitech Bluetooth Tablet/Mini Keyboard. I can always pick up a cheap bluetooth mouse again, so the keyboard dock is not really a requirement for me to be honest. Not having the SD Card Slot & USB Port is not gonna bother me. Extra battery life would be the only thing I would miss out on.

This also suits me as I will have the Prime connected to my TV via the mini HDMI for things like 4OD, RTE Player and streaming movies and I can have full control of it from the couch.

...and that's part two of the question, is it possible to have 2 seperate devices connected via Bluetooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rob86s

Mr Keek wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting this baby WITHOUT the keyboard dock?

I already have a good quality Logitech Bluetooth Tablet/Mini Keyboard. I can always pick up a cheap bluetooth mouse again, so the keyboard dock is not really a requirement for me to be honest. Not having the SD Card Slot & USB Port is not gonna bother me. Extra battery life would be the only thing I would miss out on.

This also suits me as I will have the Prime connected to my TV via the mini HDMI for things like 4OD, RTE Player and streaming movies and I can have full control of it from the couch.

...and that's part two of the question, is it possible to have 2 seperate devices connected via Bluetooth?
    My desire Hd can connect 2 bluet devices , so this should do it as well.
    Komplett is selling them without the dock - but it is only a 64gb same price as the 32 with doc -599

Rob86s wrote: »
    My desire Hd can connect 2 bluet devices , so this should do it as well.
    Komplett is selling them without the dock - but it is only a 64gb same price as the 32 with doc -599

I'd prefer to spend the money on the Dock so if that's the case, have 32GB Micro SD card already so no need for 64GB built in memory. Better value!

I'm heading over New York in May, would love to have it for the plane, but thinking I might wait and buy over there!:confused:

Rob86s wrote: »
    What do u mean by overpriced?just got one from komplett for599e 32gb with dock

I'm talking about amazon third party sellers, 1000 euro plus they are selling them at.

Also just to add to that Komplett.ie are sold out until Mid Feb.

Still trying to find some irish stockists for this. Anybody know of any currently selling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

Still trying to find some irish stockists for this. Anybody know of any currently selling?

Not an Irish stockist per se - but if you're stuck and can wait 'till late Feb...

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_Transformer_Prime_Tablet_in_Silver_TF201-1I020A/version.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_Transformer_Prime_Tablet_in_Grey_TF201-1B002A/version.asp

I seen this in Currys today for €629 which I thought was quite good. The tablet and it's dock; and by buying their, you are guaranteed a UK plug adapter, all the Primes online come with a 2pin European plug.

Blutooth and wifi seemed spot on, I asked the guy where their wifi router was located and it was in the office in the other end of the store and it had full coverage. The blue tooth had no connection problems either, I had it streaming music on blutooth speakers also on display.

I would have bought it there an then but they only had the Grey one, I've my eye on the Champagne one.

I seen this in Currys today for €629 which I thought was quite good. The tablet and it's dock; and by buying their, you are guaranteed a UK plug adapter, all the Primes online come with a 2pin European plug.

Blutooth and wifi seemed spot on, I asked the guy where their wifi router was located and it was in the office in the other end of the store and it had full coverage. The blue tooth had no connection problems either, I had it streaming music on blutooth speakers also on display.

I would have bought it there an then but they only had the Grey one, I've my eye on the Champagne one.

Which Curry's?

The Champagne seem to be in short supply.

Which Curry's?

The Champagne seem to be in short supply.

G G Galway!

Very impressed with it, I was hummin' and hawin' about getting it and after playing with it, I'm convinced.

Feels great in the hand, Had the Rte player working and checked out the Irish Times site which is a much better experience on a tablet, looked great in portrait mode for longer articles.

Very solid feeling, was like a child in a toyshop, been looking at this thing since Christmas on YouTubes and review pic's.

G G Galway!

Very impressed with it, I was hummin' and hawin' about getting it and after playing with it, I'm convinced.

Feels great in the hand, Had the Rte player working and checked out the Irish Times site which is a much better experience on a tablet, looked great in portrait mode for longer articles.

Very solid feeling, was like a child in a toyshop, been looking at this thing since Christmas on YouTubes and review pic's.

Yeah it's very impressive. I can't justify buying one on any level (I have an original Transformer) but that doesn't stop me coveting it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

What size HD was it?

Was it the TF 201 or TF700?

lewis wrote: »
    What size HD was it?

Was it the TF 201 or TF700?

It was 32GB with Dock and it was TF201.

I reckon we won't see the new TF700 until the summer.

It was 32GB with Dock and it was TF201.

I reckon we won't see the new TF700 until the summer.

Reason I'm asking is because of the wifi/blutooth problems.
    Did the sort all problems out, wasn't there some others?

I havehad the same reservations as yourself, but Wifi and Bluetooth were both spot on, no problems what so ever.

I used the stores Wifi which I was told was at the other end of the store altogether in an office....it's a massive store and it was fine, full bars. I also tested the Wifi via my phone and tethering, again perfect....and as I said, their was bluetooth speaker about 5/6 meters away from me, and I was able to stream the sample music on them.

Alot of the reviews seem to back this up, what what I read online, it was the pre release that was given to the early reviewers that have problems. A second Wifi antenna has been put in since, as well as software updates.

I couldn't really check the GPS without installing something from the Market but I was on google maps, and it had my location perfect, this might be with the help of WiFi. Have you seen this vid about the GPS, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMrE9-jF-M Keep watching it until the very end, looks promising and shows room for further improvement with future updates

I'm definitely sold on it, but I'm making a big sacrifice in order to get it, well at least for me it's big..

Cheers man

I'm definitely sold on it, but I'm making a big sacrifice in order to get it, well at least for me it's big..

Cheers man

I'll be going back next weekend and I'll be having my girlfriend walking around the store with my phone set to 'Wifi Hotspot'.., I can I can just imagine the look on her face when I say "Hold that and go for a walk over there, I've an experiment to conduct!!" :cool:

I'll be getting this as soon as I see it in Champagne, I'll report back!

lewis, check out this youtube review, the guy is Irish and he seems fairly sound about answering questions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W9hg6neRRI

lewis, check out this youtube review, the guy is Irish and he seems fairly sound about answering questions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W9hg6neRRI

Yeah, cheers man!

This might be a long shot, but does anybody know of a store near to, or as near as possible to mullingar that i can go to to try/buy this?

Agh can't find any retailers in ireland who aren't currently sold out on this tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

To be honest you're looking at another 2-3 weeks before stores start to get this in stock in any reasonable quantities.

It's looking like there's another transformer due out soon, might be the bigger brother of the current one, TF something..

It's looking like there's another transformer due out soon, might be the bigger brother of the current one, TF something..

If you deem june/july to be soon, then yes the tf700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Correct.

Better resolution and a fix for the GPS issues the first Prime is having (plastic rear panel)

I intend to get this. :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Will the better resolution make any real difference? It's hard to imagine it would on a 10 inch screen. I'd probably prefer the metal back to the plastic one for aesthetic reasons even if it nixed the GPS, as long as the WiFi was OK.

Dammer wrote: »
    Correct.

Better resolution and a fix for the GPS issues the first Prime is having (plastic rear panel)

I intend to get this. :cool:

Danm...er, lol, the TF201l though has`nt really been out that long, would it be worth it to get this when it comes out to get it, I`m still planning on getting the TF201.
    Will the better resolution make any real difference? It's hard to imagine it would on a 10 inch screen. I'd probably prefer the metal back to the plastic one for aesthetic reasons even if it nixed the GPS, as long as the WiFi was OK.

I`d prefer the metal back meself, the new ones looks cheap...

Danm...er, lol, the TF201l though has`nt really been out that long, would it be worth it to get this when it comes out to get it, I`m still planning on getting the TF201.

I`d prefer the metal back meself, the new ones looks cheap...

Same, as soon as i can find an irish stockist, i'm buying the tf201

Same, as soon as i can find an irish stockist, i'm buying the tf201

Would you not buy online?

Would you not buy online?

I would if i could find any reasonably priced sites.

• Advertisement

I would if i could find any reasonably priced sites.

It seems that €600 ish is what it`ll cost, please prove me wrong...

Advertisement