Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus Transformer Prime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

lewis wrote: »
    It seems that €600 ish is what it`ll cost, please prove me wrong...

Yes that's about right more or less. But i can't find any site that has it at that price and in stock currently. I don't get what's up with the "please prove me wrong...".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Yes that's about right more or less. But i can't find any site that has it at that price and in stock currently. I don't get what's up with the "please prove me wrong...".

for a few quid more..
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_Transformer_Prime_Tablet_in_Silver_TF201-1I020A/version.asp

legrand wrote: »

They might be an option, but their delivery to Ireland is fairly expensive too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I don't get what's up with the "please prove me wrong...".

I was on about the price, lol...

They might be an option, but their delivery to Ireland is fairly expensive too.

€12, seems a bit much, considering your paying over €600 for it, but... it's there, tempting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I collected today from Currys, and loving it so far, WiFi in it out preforms my phone for signal strength, had Wifi Analyser on both so a fair comparision, phone is a Galaxy Nexus S by the way.

GPS which I wasn't too bothered about is fine, indoors, it could see 5 satalites and locked onto 4 of them.

The Champagne Gold is the winner, more Silver with a very light tinge of gold, I would call it sliver however.

I've been hearing abur faults about Wifi and Bluetooth playing together, no problem to report, I've had the RTE player playng ad the sound streaming through my phones speaker dock without issue.

At the moment the only fault I can find is that there is a smallest bit of lag on the Keyboard as I type this post.

It was labled at 629 on the shelf, i ordered and paid last week in advance and got it for 599:). I think the fella hit the wrong entry on his computer when arranging the sale.

Are you going to root it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Mr Keek wrote: »
    I collected today from Currys, and loving it so far, WiFi in it out preforms my phone for signal strength, had Wifi Analyser on both so a fair comparision, phone is a Galaxy Nexus S by the way.

GPS which I wasn't too bothered about is fine, indoors, it could see 5 satalites and locked onto 4 of them.

The Champagne Gold is the winner, more Silver with a very light tinge of gold, I would call it sliver however.

I've been hearing abur faults about Wifi and Bluetooth playing together, no problem to report, I've had the RTE player playng ad the sound streaming through my phones speaker dock without issue.

At the moment the only fault I can find is that there is a smallest bit of lag on the Keyboard as I type this post.

It was labled at 629 on the shelf, i ordered and paid last week in advance and got it for 599:). I think the fella hit the wrong entry on his computer when arranging the sale.
    Which store did you get it in, and was there any more?

Are you going to root it?
    I will, tht 1 Click Root tool works on the Primes so it should handy enough, need to get rid of a few of the preinstalled apps.
    Skittle wrote: »
    Which store did you get it in, and was there any more?

Got it in Curry's Galway, they received a fresh batch so I'd imagine they would have plenty, i did a forward payment last week and the batch only arrived on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

Galaxy Nexus S? Not heard of that one before? Have you played any MKV files on it? If so how do they play? Any stuttering etc.?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    Galaxy Nexus S? Not heard of that one before? Have you played any MKV files on it? If so how do they play? Any stuttering etc.?

Cheers,
    M

Whoops, i meant to say Google's Nexus S, the Galaxy Nexus is my next purchase!

Have no idea about mkv but I did put a Blu ray rip at 1080p onto both a Micro SD card and also on a USB stuck drive and it played flawlessly, file was 6.9gb in size, screen looked stunning.

Whoops, i meant to say Google's Nexus S, the Galaxy Nexus is my next purchase!

Have no idea about mkv but I did put a Blu ray rip at 1080p onto both a Micro SD card and also on a USB stuck drive and it played flawlessly, file was 6.9gb in size, screen looked stunning.

Excellent sir! Just what I wanted to hear ;-) Did you rip it yourself? Just curious as to what codec and settings were used.

Thanks,
    M

PS: I have the Galaxy Nexus and it rocks! U will love it ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't have a Prime myself, but have the original Transformer.

Have any of you guys had problems with the charger? Mine charged properly ONCE. After that it will only trickle charge, and the trickle charge doesn't seem to charge the keyboard, only the pad itself.

I've tried the sealed bag in the freezer trick, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick. :(

Have any of you guys had problems with the charger? Mine charged properly ONCE. After that it will only trickle charge, and the trickle charge doesn't seem to charge the keyboard, only the pad itself.

I've tried the sealed bag in the freezer trick, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick. :(

Would you not have fecked it back to the shop you bought it mate?? At the prices of these Tabs this sort of stuff is simply not worth putting up with!!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

How are you charging it? It won't charge properly via USB 2 from a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Anyone know where I can buy the champagne TP? Can't seem to find anyone that has it in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just ordered mine online there... can't wait!

US got the .14 OTA update today, looks like Europe is scheduled for Tuesday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Anyone know where I can buy the champagne TP? Can't seem to find anyone that has it in stock.
    I ordered one from Amazon a couple of weeks ago.
    They have been appearing for a few days as an option to buy.
    At the time they were quoting Dec 2012 as earliest delivery, but ASUS are saying that stock is now appearing again, so I stought it would be in the next week or two.
    This morning got an email saying shipment would be Feb 29th.
    So Amazon is worth watching, and stock is beginning to flow again..

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Grassey wrote: »
    Just ordered mine online there... can't wait!

US got the .14 OTA update today, looks like Europe is scheduled for Tuesday!

From where?

Officedepot ... I'm currently in US so its prob not an option for you.

(Sorry also didn't realise that my above post looked like I was replying to you - and not just expressing my excitement over buying one :D)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I have been waiting ages. I really want the dock but am tempted to pick up the 64gb this week.

I finaly got my hands on one of these and am happy with it so far. Wifi seems to work ok, but as most people know the gps aint much good. Nonetheless i've been searching and trying out tablets to buy since last autumn and i am confident enough to say that this is currently the best tablet of any OS out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I finaly got my hands on one of these and am happy with it so far. Wifi seems to work ok, but as most people know the gps aint much good. Nonetheless i've been searching and trying out tablets to buy since last autumn and i am confident enough to say that this is currently the best tablet of any OS out there.

That's the bottom line and you're correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Does anyone have a clue when the 64gb bundled with the keyboard will be appearing?

Updating on my previous positive post. After just one day my tablet keeps on rebooting randomly on average every ten minutes or so. Tried many so called "fixes" and none of them work. Am very annoyed right now, and it seems that this is a very common problem from what i've read online. I might end up just going for a different tablet...

It's a pain using this thing

Excellent sir! Just what I wanted to hear ;-) Did you rip it yourself? Just curious as to what codec and settings were used.

Thanks,
    M

It was a torrent that I downloaded, codec was. M4v
    Updating on my previous positive post. After just one day my tablet keeps on rebooting randomly on average every ten minutes or so. Tried many so called "fixes" and none of them work. Am very annoyed right now, and it seems that this is a very common problem from what i've read online. I might end up just going for a different tablet...

There is a firmware update due next week to sort this out. Luckley, I've not had this issue, only 2/3 unwanted reboots in the week I've owned it. The issue is caused by the most recent install of ICS. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

My one is perfect, wifi, bluetooth and even GPS are all fine. only issue I have is when streaming video through a blue tooth speaker, be it from YouTube, media player or from flash video online, a lag is present, so lipsync problems are present. These disappear when the tab is connected to headphones or playing through the tabs own speaker. Nothing another firmware update shouldn't be able to correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Or USB3.
    I use the wall charger. It's a widely documented problem, but I am not sure if my problem is with my cable or the wall charger.

Or USB3.
    I use the wall charger. It's a widely documented problem, but I am not sure if my problem is with my cable or the wall charger.

To all that have them, especially the one with no issues us the serial number belonging to the C batch??

Thanks,
    M

It was a torrent that I downloaded, codec was. M4v

There is a firmware update due next week to sort this out. Luckley, I've not had this issue, only 2/3 unwanted reboots in the week I've owned it. The issue is caused by the most recent install of ICS. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

My one is perfect, wifi, bluetooth and even GPS are all fine. only issue I have is when streaming video through a blue tooth speaker, be it from YouTube, media player or from flash video online, a lag is present, so lipsync problems are present. These disappear when the tab is connected to headphones or playing through the tabs own speaker. Nothing another firmware update shouldn't be able to correct.

Is it official that an update is coming next week for this problem in europe? If so i wont return my tablet yet

• Advertisement

Would you sell it, lol?

Is it official that an update is coming next week for this problem in europe? If so i wont return my tablet yet

Seen it on XDA forums, the yanks have it already an the worldwide update is comming to us.

We are currently running on the. 11 firmware, 13 was released in USA last week which sorted out the rebooting issue but it effected battery so they didn't release tht worldwide. The latest firmware is due early next week. It's gonna be an official update too from Asus directly

Would you sell it, lol?

Sure, if you really want to buy a defective tablet? I've decided to return it at this stage. Now not only is it restarting every 10 minutes, but it has become very laggy, even after a factory reset!

I really hope my replacement actualy works. It would be a fantastic tablet if i could use it.

I hope of all the story's I'm reading about the Primes with there bugs and such are just a small number of models, I'm wanting one but wondering if my luck pay off and I'll get a perfectly working model?

I hope of all the story's I'm reading about the Primes with there bugs and such are just a small number of models, I'm wanting one but wondering if my luck pay off and I'll get a perfectly working model?

Same with me bud. It's a great device... when it works :L . I'm hoping my next one will work!

Same with me bud. It's a great device... when it works :L . I'm hoping my next one will work!

That update is out now incase you haven't checked, OTA and I've installed today, no problems to date, I had no real issues anyway, just the occasional reboot one every couple days.

***Edit Just noticed you returned it. Hope the next one functions as it should, pure sickner spending 600 quid and not getting what you wanted.

• Advertisement

That update is out now incase you haven't checked, OTA and I've installed today, no problems to date, I had no real issues anyway, just the occasional reboot one every couple days.

***Edit Just noticed you returned it. Hope the next one functions as it should, pure sickner spending 600 quid and not getting what you wanted.

Are you doing anything in particular when it reboots, or is it just randomly?

Are you doing anything in particular when it reboots, or is it just randomly?

Just random reboots, always when browsing, regardless of the browser, used Oprah, Chrome and Stock. I usually have 3/4 tabs open. As I said, it it really wasn't an issue for me, compared to other users, I had about 4 in a week. Nothing since the update however this morning.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

4 in a week is still completely unacceptable. I wouldn't put up with that in a €100 device, let alone a top of the range tablet.

Is this after the latest update?

Is this after the latest update?

Nothing since the latest update, every thing is working perfectly, i even noticed tht wifi is slightly better, pages render quicker at least, its at lightening speeds, even in our extention which is joined to the house by concrete wall

• Advertisement

So Asus has released the bootloader unlocker

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1510737

And CM9 is running on it fine, with the rumourmongers predicting a public release in a few days!

http://androidroot.mobi/2012/02/22/cyanogenmod-9-for-asus-transformer-prime/

Should be the start of a few interesting weeks as developers get on board with custom roms!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

So the the new improved version is called the transformer pad infinity kind of glad I waited now. Hopefully all issues have been sorted and stock will be more plentiful.

So the the new improved version is called the transformer pad infinity kind of glad I waited now. Hopefully all issues have been sorted and stock will be more plentiful.

Yup looks good. I think that Asus had previously mention this would be a Q2 release. If current form continues it could be end of the year before we see it available here (or at least end Q3) :o

Have been holding out and new crop of dual core Snapdraggon chips look pretty good. The new Galaxy Note 10.1 looks interesting also. Decisions decisions !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

As someone who has pondered this for quite a while....isnt there always something new and potentially better around the corner development wise?

Morgans wrote: »
    As someone who has pondered this for quite a while....isnt there always something new and potentially better around the corner development wise?

In a word ..yes. A perennial conundrum whether it be tablets/phones/LCDs, laptops... Of course the manufacturers love this as they know all that and pander to the consumer lust for latest and greatest. I count myself as a
    'victim '. I should get a life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Sure its not something to beat yourself up over, but this time last year - or at least 6 months ago, people were holding off buying asus eee pads cos the Transformer Prime would knock it out of the water. Think you need to accept it when taking the plunge.

Mine arrived last week, had no issues with it (bar gps - which I havent tried out yet so I reserve comment). Wifi on it is comparable with my GS2's reception. Had one issuance of screen flicker after the .15 update, but since I rebooted haven't had it since nor have i had any of the random reboots etc people complain about.

From reading XDA (a lot) I think that the cranks unsatisfied are in a huge minority but more vocal than the majority that are happy and satisfied with the prime. Asus are consistently sending out firmware updates and engaging with peoples issues, hell the bootloader is unlocked and there is a 1st custom rom out!

The infinity looks nice, but I don't think I'd be willing to wait about for an undisclosed release date (and one would assume the same stock shortages the TF201 still is experiencing), though whenever it comes out I doubt there'd be any hassle trying to flog on a working tf201. Besides, by the time Infinity is released Asus will have announced the specs for its successor... and you'd only have to wait another 3 months...:rolleyes:

legrand wrote: »
    Yup looks good. I think that Asus had previously mention this would be a Q2 release. If current form continues it could be end of the year before we see it available here (or at least end Q3) :o

Have been holding out and new crop of dual core Snapdraggon chips look pretty good. The new Galaxy Note 10.1 looks interesting also. Decisions decisions !

I have the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 and having seen the 10.1 Note and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 I would upgrade to neither. ASUS Transformer Prime Infinity all the way for me!

I have the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 and having seen the 10.1 Note and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 I would upgrade to neither. ASUS Transformer Prime Infinity all the way for me!

Wonder how long that will take to reach these shores - Oct/Nov ? Even if formally launched in Q2 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

This is more of a general tablet question than a Transformer Prime one but I'm sure some tablet owners will be able to answer.

Can you have different profiles for users on this like you would on windows?

It'd be a PITA to have to log out of all accounts like Gmail etc every time someone else in the house wants to use it.

I'm guessing there's no profiles, same as there isn't on my android phone. Do ipads have the ability for different profiles?

• Advertisement
Advertisement