Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus Transformer Prime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Morgans wrote: »
    Sure its not something to beat yourself up over, but this time last year - or at least 6 months ago, people were holding off buying asus eee pads cos the Transformer Prime would knock it out of the water. Think you need to accept it when taking the plunge.

I heard that in twenty years they will have 50 euro tablets that will have more pixels than the sky has stars and a 20ghz processor. I'm holding off on buying until then. I plan on carrying drawing paper around with me all the time instead.

Then i will laugh at all you guys who bought an inferior tablet twenty years before me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Then i will laugh at all you guys who bought an inferior tablet twenty years before me!

There will always be an inferior tablet, the market moves so fast.

Poop I heard an add on the listening device today yapping about the ipad 3 on it`s was, saying it was the first to boast a quad core, only mentioned the Samsung tab as it`s rival, nothing about Asus, the pack of tits....I HATE apple publicity!

lewis wrote: »
    There will always be an inferior tablet, the market moves so fast.

Poop I heard an add on the listening device today yapping about the ipad 3 on it`s was, saying it was the first to boast a quad core, only mentioned the Samsung tab as it`s rival, nothing about Asus, the pack of tits....I HATE apple publicity!

I know, hence why i was being blatantly sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Keith186 wrote: »
    This is more of a general tablet question than a Transformer Prime one but I'm sure some tablet owners will be able to answer.

Can you have different profiles for users on this like you would on windows?

It'd be a PITA to have to log out of all accounts like Gmail etc every time someone else in the house wants to use it.

I'm guessing there's no profiles, same as there isn't on my android phone. Do ipads have the ability for different profiles?

If you have root here's an app that's been talked about over on XDA.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fahrbot.apps.switchme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Cheers man. Will have to make do with that for now if I get one.

I'd prefer a solution to be built into the rom though. Windows 8 tablets will have this and the others will be playing catch up then.

Should I go ahead and aim for the prime?

I know its a long way away before they bring out there new Infinity craic, but I think if I where to get a prime that the majority would be "ok" to get, eg, wifi,GPS would be sorted....ya think?

Lewis, I got one in the US the weekend. No problems so far. But I don't use GPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

get one from amazon.co.uk free delivery and returns within 30 days.

Ste- wrote: »
    Lewis, I got one in the US the weekend. No problems so far. But I don't use GPS.

Do you mind me asking how much?

Did you root it?

Was it easy?
    Rafloution wrote: »
    get one from amazon.co.uk free delivery and returns within 30 days.

They would be on my top 3 to buy from...if anything where going to happen or go wrong that 30 days would be great.

Cheers lads, I don`t see any point in waiting til there next line of pads. by then I`d say all and any problems will be solved.

• Advertisement

hurry up on amazon think they only have gold left

hurry up on amazon think they only have gold left

It`s funny, the gold is more expensive than grey, I would have thought it would be the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Does anyone have an idea why the champagne version is 100 pounds less than the grey?

The correct price of the TF201 Transformer Prime is 499 GBP the Grey one is being sold by other sellers not Amazon as Amazon.co.uk sold out earlier today. The gold one is left and sold by Amazon at the proper price.

Its crap they way Amazon sell stuff they basically allow third party sellers sell via the same product screen so it looks a mess and people dont realise it isnt Amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Do you mind me asking how much?

Did you root it?

Was it easy?

They are $499 excluding tax and without the keypad over here (32gb model add $100 for the 64gb), mine worked out about $545 inc tax.

Rooting is real easy, think it was a matter of connecting the pad to pc and then clicking a exe file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The correct price of the TF201 Transformer Prime is 499 GBP the Grey one is being sold by other sellers not Amazon as Amazon.co.uk sold out earlier today. The gold one is left and sold by Amazon at the proper price.

Its crap they way Amazon sell stuff they basically allow third party sellers sell via the same product screen so it looks a mess and people dont realise it isnt Amazon

Why not? Are they morons?

Actually, they probably are, given that it tells them that Amazon isn't the seller.

• Advertisement

Rooting was easy. Upgraded to Ics then rooted with sparkyroot .apk. Easy. Got the 64gb model. Price already mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There's none available in the shops here in the US (visiting for 4 days), tried to order one via Amazon, but they have none, except for non Amazon traders who are looking for a fortune...

Gonna look into ordering it via Amazon UK and getting it delivered to a friend in London (i'll be passing through next weekend) only trouble is the UK ones are all with keyboard, so still very expensive.

Anyone want to suggest other options? Bear in mind I'm living in the middle east, and Amazon won't deliver there...

Also, what's the best colour? I used a purple one today, which was on display, I presume that is the one called grey ?

£499 on Amazon UK, seems expensive

Just came across this a few mins ago, a post from one of Asus's Managers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23409128&postcount=1

I really want to know what the big TF201 news in next few weeks is...

Not to mention another OTA update (.16) shortly too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pretty shoddy of Asus to still not have any stock of this several months after release.

• Advertisement

Im happy that they are now available in amazon and have been since Friday with no issues regarding stock. I thought i was one of the lucky ones initially, but there was no need to panic.

And given that the TF101 is still £450, i think tis priced competitively at £499. Its cheaper than the dollar conversion from the states - not to mind customs, delivery etc. There are cheaper tablets out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Im happy that they are now available in amazon and have been since Friday with no issues regarding stock. I thought i was one of the lucky ones initially, but there was no need to panic.

And given that the TF101 is still £450, i think tis priced competitively at £499. Its cheaper than the dollar conversion from the states - not to mind customs, delivery etc. There are cheaper tablets out there.

If we do order from the UK and get it shipped here will we get hit by customs guys??

Cheers,
    M

I would hope not. Anywhere outside the EU - such as the US, or even the Channel Islands - are liable, but UK isnt.

99% sure.

I would hope not. Anywhere outside the EU - such as the US, or even the Channel Islands - are liable, but UK isnt.

99% sure.

Ah great, so I can rest easy and go ahead and order it soon then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

madmoe wrote: »
    Ah great, so I can rest easy and go ahead and order it soon then :)

Amazon.co.uk orders will charge Irish VAT rates I'm pretty sure - check it out and place order - u get option to preview order before committing.

My latest one just arrived from Amazon ordered Thursday.

C2 Serial number Gold. No screen bleed or cosmetic issues.

Will test wifi and gps tonight. Oh and yes you pay Irish VAT on purchases from Amazon UK.

Will test wifi and gps tonight.

Excellent! Did you get hit for customs or anything like that? Is this your first one mate?

Thanks,
    M

You dont pay customs when purchasing anything inside EU so there is no worries there. Just make sure you buy from Amazon.co.uk and not their third party re-sellers (who could be shipping from Guernsey which is customs liable).

This is my third or fourth at this stage, all the rest

1) Headphone jack wouldnt work - Currys Ireland - Jan 2012

2) Keyboard wouldnt respond on key number 2 - Currys Ireland - Feb 2012

3) Hanging and general crap browser 'waiting to respond' business (im aware this is possibly a software issue but i would have went outside my 30 day window if I waited) Amazon.co.uk Feb 2012

You dont pay customs when purchasing anything inside EU so there is no worries there. Just make sure you buy from Amazon.co.uk and not their third party re-sellers (who could be shipping from Guernsey which is customs liable).

This is my third or fourth at this stage, all the rest

1) Headphone jack wouldnt work - Currys Ireland - Jan 2012

2) Keyboard wouldnt respond on key number 2 - Currys Ireland - Feb 2012

3) Hanging and general crap browser 'waiting to respond' business (im aware this is possibly a software issue but i would have went outside my 30 day window if I waited) Amazon.co.uk Feb 2012

What was final cost in Euro to you out of interest?

Havent seen the credit card bill as yet but id expect it to be in 620 euro mark.

Amazon give chouce to bill in euro I wouldnt bother you get a better exchange rate on your card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Ordered a 32gb myself including keyboard dock from amazon. Total bill including bank EURO conversation rate was €601.

zarquon wrote: »
    Ordered a 32gb myself including keyboard dock from amazon. Total bill including bank EURO conversation rate was €601.

Not bad all in! Are you gonna get a separate cover for it or does the dock when closed provide a good enough cover?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Grey appears to be in stock, you can buy it here http://amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006NTUJ0S/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&tag=actorstuff-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B006NTUJ0S

I'm halfway between placing an order straight away or waiting for the tf700 model... but afaik it does not yet have a release date... Decisions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Not bad all in! Are you gonna get a separate cover for it or does the dock when closed provide a good enough cover?

Cheers,
    M

Have ordered this for when the dock is not being used. I like that its low profile.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MoKo-Slim-Fit-Multi-Angle-Transformer-10-1-Inch/dp/B0063Q3G3I/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

When the dock is connected, i will just put it in a sleeve as the dock will protect the screen

zarquon wrote: »
    Have ordered this for when the dock is not being used. I like that its low profile.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MoKo-Slim-Fit-Multi-Angle-Transformer-10-1-Inch/dp/B0063Q3G3I/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

When the dock is connected, i will just put it in a sleeve as the dock will protect the screen

Nice! I got this one for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 http://www.pyroskins.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-10.1-cases/clip-case-built-in-stand-black-leather.html

It looks VERY similar to the one you are getting for your TP!

Cheers,
    M

PS: Just wondering what is the going price for one of these without the keyboard dock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

legrand wrote: »

That's the original Transformer (and way overpriced) :eek:

vard wrote: »
    Grey appears to be in stock, you can buy it here http://amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006NTUJ0S/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=as_li_ss_tl&tag=actorstuff-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B006NTUJ0S

I'm halfway between placing an order straight away or waiting for the tf700 model... but afaik it does not yet have a release date... Decisions...

June time-frame for UK release (read August if past form anything to go by?).
    This article appears to state now possible to pre-order (USA I presume) with availability March 16th.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/312269/20120310/apple-new-ipad-asus-transformer-prime-tf700t.htm

Will test wifi and gps tonight. Oh and yes you pay Irish VAT on purchases from Amazon UK.

Any possibility of a review??? Too cheeky I suppose. Ordered mine on Friday. Getting a tad excited.

• Advertisement

It is kind of off putting, knowing your spending €600 on something, but could have a fault with it, that's what I'd be thinking about.

It would be my luck that I'd get a dodgy model, lol.

It is kind of off putting, knowing your spending €600 on something, but could have a fault with it, that's what I'd be thinking about.

It would be my luck that I'd get a dodgy model, lol.

Thinking along the same lines as well......may be best to wait now until the Infinity where I hope they have learnt their lessons form the Prime and keep my Tab 10.1 until then.......

Cheers,
    M

Thinking along the same lines as well......may be best to wait now until the Infinity where I hope they have learnt their lessons form the Prime and keep my Tab 10.1 until then.......

Cheers,
    M

Then the question is when will the release date for that be.

Are they trying to replace the prime, with the infinity, like forgetting about it?

Then the question is when will the release date for that be.

Are they trying to replace the prime, with the infinity, like forgetting about it?

All very hard to know but going by what people are saying on XDA it seems nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a Transformer Prime that is not perfect....most of them seem to have at least one fault......

Tempting

I think 16gb is to small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Tempting

I think 16gb is to small.

That's the TF101

• Advertisement

That it is....

My Prime is arriving in a couple of days... The one thing I haven't found much info on, is what apps are bundled? I just saw a YouTube clip showing off a movie editing app that looks equal to iMovie. This was one thing that almost swayed me to get an iPad.

Are there any other worthwhile apps bundled with it?

You get press reader - which allows download of daily newspapers from 100' of countries. you get 7 free downloads.

Google music
    Riptide Demo
    Remote desktop app which works well

(thats all I can think of for now)

splashtop - remote desktop app
    polaris office suite
    My cloud - cloudbased stuff
    Supernote - handwriting notebook app
    some demo game with clowns
    Video editing app too

and as post above

Just an update, i'm finaly getting my replacement prime this Saturday. Returned my last one due to reboots happening every few minutes. Hoping this one wont have any problems. Will report back here to update on how my new one will be doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement