Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus Transformer Prime

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

Ste- wrote: »
    Think my one is a C2 batch and GPS and wifi work fine I'll check the number later.
    I think there was one or two dead pixels I noticed when I got it but I can't find them anymore.
    Picked it up in NY when I was over there the start of March.

Without the dock? What sort of price mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

madmoe wrote: »
    Without the dock? What sort of price mate?

Yeah without, wouldn't get use out of the dock so I didn't bother.
    64gb paid for in euros over there on credit card bill was €509.

Ste- wrote: »
    Yeah without, wouldn't get use out of the dock so I didn't bother.
    64gb paid for in euros over there on credit card bill was €509.

Very very good price mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gar

Got one!!! Thanks wifey. Serial number C3. No apparent issues. Any suggestions on apps? 1st tablet but have iPhone (duck).

Gar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

gar wrote: »
    Got one!!! Thanks wifey. Any suggestions on apps?

Gar

Shadow Gun, great game.
    IMDB
    FilmOnTv
    I like the stock Browser, but prefer ICS+ browser, it's got more options.
    Accuweather
    MX Media player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

Friend of mine ordered one of these from Komplett a few weeks ago. Finally back in stock tomorrow and being despatched. Waiting to have a look before I take the plunge or maybe wait for the Acer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just saw on xda that asus are sending out a free gps dongle that fits on bottom of tablet snug with device to address the lack of gps.

I think its a great gesture by the company in response tousers complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

gar wrote: »
    Got one!!! Thanks wifey. Serial number C3. No apparent issues. Any suggestions on apps? 1st tablet but have iPhone (duck).

Gar
    Mr Keek wrote: »
    Shadow Gun, great game.
    IMDB
    FilmOnTv
    I like the stock Browser, but prefer ICS+ browser, it's got more options.
    Accuweather
    MX Media player

Make sure to get the thd version of shadowgun.

Cabbage= free webtexts
    photoshop touch= pricey but worth it
    mizuu = great for viewing your movies and their info (not a player)
    Cool reader= better than the stock book reader
    Evernote= best note taking app out therem lots of neat functions
    Dual battery widget= For viewing both the tablet and dock batteries
    Ice cream sandwitch clock widget= Very nice looking clock widget
    Angry Birds = Awesomely FREE on android devices!
    Shazam= recognise that song
    Airdroid= transfer files between devices over your network
    goggles= hard to explain nice tool that reads QR codes and many other useful features.
    Tiny Tower = Fun but addictive game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Am considering an alternative browser... Anyone using the chrome beta? Are there still problems with chrome/flash?

Is it worth checking it out? What browsers are people using in general? I actually like the stock browser, but its always worth having an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Am considering an alternative browser... Anyone using the chrome beta? Are there still problems with chrome/flash?

Is it worth checking it out? What browsers are people using in general? I actually like the stock browser, but its always worth having an alternative.
    I've been using Chrome Beta and Boat Browser https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.boatbrowser.free&hl=en

They are both pretty quick and easy to use. Chrome still has some problems with the Flash plugin though. If it wasn't for that I'd probably be using it solely.

• Advertisement

hmmmm... i downloaded chrome.

It keeps loading facebook as a mobile site, and I can't find a way to make the full site default. It's also gone a bit skitso on another site, going into a reloadling loop... also its almost impossible to do an autocorrect for text, as I have discovered while typing this message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

hmmmm... i downloaded chrome.

It keeps loading facebook as a mobile site, and I can't find a way to make the full site default. It's also gone a bit skitso on another site, going into a reloadling loop... also its almost impossible to do an autocorrect for text, as I have discovered while typing this message
    Don't really use fb on it tbh so haven't had that problem! Are you just using the stock keyboard? I've got swiftkey on it and it works grand.

I think there's something in the settings menu that you can tick so it always loads desktop pages instead of mobile pages, can't remember though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I've seen this reported in some quarters, but not as much as I would have expected. Anyone else seeing this?

There is a new feature in the Tegra 3 chip to increase battery life. See Tegra 3 DIDIM Saves Even More Power | Tegra 3 for more information. But it causes a problem: Even though auto-brightness is switched off, you can constantly see what appears to be some subtle (and not so subtle) brightness adjustments - particularly in white or light areas of the screen. There is a similar and terrible feature in some LCD TV's where contrast is automatically adjusted. The problem with the Prime is that you can't turn this off. It is very evident when in Power Save mode, less so in Balanced Mode and less again in Performance Mode. If you increase the brightness above 25% or more, it is also less evident. But if you watch a video with the brightness turned down, it is a very annoying and distracting.

Try watching a video where there is a lot of white sky. Have a look at this video:

Do this in a dim room if you can. Set your brightness at about 10% or lower, with auto brightness off. Ensure you are in Balanced power mode or Performance power mode (the effect is very evident in Powersave mode if you want to try that). Switch the video to full screen and go to point 1:53 and watch as the two guys go through the gate and up the hill (until about 2:12). You should see the video darken and lighten noticeable (thanks to the good old grey Irish sky!).

For me, this is a show stopper. It means I cannot watch videos at lower brightness levels, when the effect is more noticeable. It also means that when browsing web pages (which have white backgrounds), I am constantly seeing this contrast readjustment and it is very annoying and distracting. I am returning this otherwise fantastic tablet because of it.

Anyone else notice anything like this?

Thanks

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I've seen this reported in some quarters, but not as much as I would have expected. Anyone else seeing this?

There is a new feature in the Tegra 3 chip to increase battery life. See Tegra 3 DIDIM Saves Even More Power | Tegra 3 for more information. But it causes a problem: Even though auto-brightness is switched off, you can constantly see what appears to be some subtle (and not so subtle) brightness adjustments - particularly in white or light areas of the screen. There is a similar and terrible feature in some LCD TV's where contrast is automatically adjusted. The problem with the Prime is that you can't turn this off. It is very evident when in Power Save mode, less so in Balanced Mode and less again in Performance Mode. If you increase the brightness above 25% or more, it is also less evident. But if you watch a video with the brightness turned down, it is a very annoying and distracting.

Try watching a video where there is a lot of white sky. Have a look at this video:

Do this in a dim room if you can. Set your brightness at about 10% or lower, with auto brightness off. Ensure you are in Balanced power mode or Performance power mode (the effect is very evident in Powersave mode if you want to try that). Switch the video to full screen and go to point 1:53 and watch as the two guys go through the gate and up the hill (until about 2:12). You should see the video darken and lighten noticeable (thanks to the good old grey Irish sky!).

For me, this is a show stopper. It means I cannot watch videos at lower brightness levels, when the effect is more noticeable. It also means that when browsing web pages (which have white backgrounds), I am constantly seeing this contrast readjustment and it is very annoying and distracting. I am returning this otherwise fantastic tablet because of it.

Thanks

This EXACT thing happened on the Transformer Prime I had mate! I did notice it a lot but never knew what caused it. I have not heard anyone on XDA complaining about it though and they are pretty vocal in the TP forum. Even more glad I sent it back now... Wonder if all Tegra 3 devices are vulnerable to it? You should post in the One X forum too...

Cheers,
    M

Thanks

This EXACT thing happened on the Transformer Prime I had mate! I did notice it a lot but never knew what caused it. I have not heard anyone on XDA complaining about it though and they are pretty vocal in the TP forum. Even more glad I sent it back now... Wonder if all Tegra 3 devices are vulnerable to it? You should post in the One X forum too...

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Yea, I noticed this too. I didn't think it was an issue when watching a video to be honest. If this is a Tegra 3 thing, then all tablets based on that chip will display the same behaviour.

Thats a fairly specific set of conditions... I can't say I've ever experienced this, but I generally don't follow these perameters exactly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Wifi is the only thing that really bothers me tbh.

Thats a fairly specific set of conditions... I can't say I've ever experienced this, but I generally don't follow these perameters exactly...

Actually, all you need to do is use the screen at low brightness. You should see the problem then. The above set of circumstances were really just spelling out a way to reproduce the problem in a very obvious manner.

For example, all I have to do to reproduce the issue is slide the main launcher screen back and forth with the default wall paper. You can see the white bit in the middle of the sky change brightness as you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Right number 6-7 prime in my hands.
    c3 serial little light bleed nothing too bad. Gps I think is non existent dongle will sort that.

Having done a lot of research nothing is going to come close to the prime till the infinity is released which wont hit here till late summer. Then the pricing for the estimated 700 euro you get a high res display.

Im sticking with this (touchwood)...mico sd slot,usb,hdmi etc Serious battery and ips display.

There is nothing that comes close in the android world as yet..... for its failings notably GPS I can piss and moan but the end result will be I will never use GPS in it anyway.

Spectrum emulator, N64 emulator Mame emulator and hdmi out....heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Rafloution wrote: »
    c3 serial little light bleed nothing too bad. Gps I think is non existent dongle will sort that.

Having done a lot of research nothing is going to come close to the prime till the infinity is released which wont hit here till late summer. Then the pricing for the estimated 700 euro you get a high res display.

Im sticking with this (touchwood)...mico sd slot,usb,hdmi etc Serious battery and ips display.

There is nothing that comes close in the android world as yet..... for its failings notably GPS I can piss and moan but the end result will be I will never use GPS in it anyway.

6 or 7 Asus Prime Tablets?:confused:

Surely if you purchased the Prime from Irish based retailers the would offer you three options ,repair/replacement/ and no so likely money refund.

Unless you got them all from Amazon....?

most from amazon yes..problem is they dont have any stock to replace as they are always out of stock. so a refund ensues and I have to wait.

This one I got today clicks one the bezel where it isnt glued properly which isnt great. I may contact Asus directly to see if they can fix.

Jarren wrote: »

There is nothing that comes close in the android world as yet..... for its failings notably GPS I can piss and moan but the end result will be I will never use GPS in it anyway.replacing them

6 or 7 Asus Prime Tablets?:confused:

Surely if you purchased the Prime from Irish based retailers the would offer you three options ,repair/replacement/ and no so likely money refund.

Unless you got them all from Amazon....?
    I have given up believing people who say they have replaced 6, 7 or 8 Primes. You would be stupid to keep replacing them... FFS, you'd think that if you weren't satisfied after 5, you'd give up... Even from a timing point of view its very unlikely, even if you bought one of the first on the market, t would be difficult to have owned 6, had them delivered, played with them for a while, discovered they were defective, sent them back for inspection, wait for a response about the inspection, wait for the next one to arrive, repeat process ad nausium...

I have given up believing people who say they have replaced 6, 7 or 8 Primes. You would be stupid to keep replacing them... FFS, you'd think that if you weren't satisfied after 5, you'd give up... Even from a timing point of view its very unlikely, even if you bought one of the first on the market, t would be difficult to have owned 6, had them delivered, played with them for a while, discovered they were defective, sent them back for inspection, wait for a response about the inspection, wait for the next one to arrive, repeat process ad nausium...

I had one and sent it back to Amazon and will not be bothering with one again until I hear the Infinity works PERFECTLY! I know some people are not prepared to wait until it comes out but I for one am.... especially now that I got my full refund back from Amazon!

Cheers,
    M

I had one and sent it back to Amazon and will not be bothering with one again until I hear the Infinity works PERFECTLY! I know some people are not prepared to wait until it comes out but I for one am.... especially now that I got my full refund back from Amazon!

Cheers,
    M

Agreed. The fact that someone has gone through 6 or 7 of these points to serious quality issues with this product. I have just returned one and will check out the Infinity when it is released. Will also have a look at what Samsung have to offer over the next few months.

Using an iPad 3 at the moment. Not near as sexy as Android, but at least it works!

Someone earlier mentioned the Acer a510 as an alternative to the transformer prime as it's almost identically specced. Any idea of a release date for this as the sites which are showing it only say in stock soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

mossie wrote: »
    Someone earlier mentioned the Acer a510 as an alternative to the transformer prime as it's almost identically specced. Any idea of a release date for this as the sites which are showing it only say in stock soon?

Being released late April US / Canada - can't find release dates for UK or elsewhere - would guess June/July this side but no telling where/when stock might be available.

Acer A510 is starting to trickle out in Europe, France specifically have sold some as seen on a few forums. Cant imagine it will be long getting here.

Pixmania have 32 GB for 399 Euro, which is a great price, but its still on back order.

Amazon UK have its priced at 369 GBP which is wrong and I can see that coming down but they do not have a pre-order price guarantee on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Cheers,
    M
    Actually, all you need to do is use the screen at low brightness. You should see the problem then. The above set of circumstances were really just spelling out a way to reproduce the problem in a very obvious manner.

For example, all I have to do to reproduce the issue is slide the main launcher screen back and forth with the default wall paper. You can see the white bit in the middle of the sky change brightness as you do it.

Yeah this is happening on the One X. It happens on mine and I couldn't see anyone else complaining about it then I just happened to be reading this thread as my father in law wants a tablet so just researching it.

I find it always happens if I take a photo then click on the photo just taken (in the bottom left corner). When it displays the photo the screen fades out...depends on how much white is in the photo but is still very noticeable. I have brightness set manually not on automatic. I'm going to try get a video of it doing it.

Edit:
    Just spotted this on XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1597227 . Aparantly some have fixed it and are looking at doing the same for the TF Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Any ideas when the next version (not the budget version) of the prime will be coming out?

vard wrote: »
    Any ideas when the next version (not the budget version) of the prime will be coming out?

I do hope it's not too long....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Getting a bit fed up waiting for it now. If the infinity was released tomorrow I'd go straight out and buy one, but they haven't even set a release date yet.

Jarren wrote: »

Tempting! Must wait for Infinity :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the difference with this one? The price seems to be more or less the same.

£60 seems like an almost insignificant saving for a cheaper build version. It's hard to see who this 'budget' version would appeal to.

This is very worrying http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=24986389#post24986389

Hope for the TP Infinity they can get their act together and prevent this sort of crap happening!!

Cheers,
    M

Acer A510 is starting to trickle out in Europe, France specifically have sold some as seen on a few forums. Cant imagine it will be long getting here.

Pixmania have 32 GB for 399 Euro, which is a great price, but its still on back order.

Amazon UK have its priced at 369 GBP which is wrong and I can see that coming down but they do not have a pre-order price guarantee on it.

Pixmania are showing this in stock from 20/4/12 for the black model. I ordered one last night hopefully will ship pretty soon.

• Advertisement

Pixmania are showing this in stock from 20/4/12 for the black model. I ordered one last night hopefully will ship pretty soon.

Do let us know how it goes?

Do let us know how it goes?

I will indeed report back. Just checked my order now and it's showing "waiting to be delivered" so I guess no stock as yet. Might be waiting a while..

Edit: It's now showing stock on 24/4/12 so will be waiting a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

Review from Anand Tech here
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5756/asus-transformer-pad-300-review

No issues with Wifi/GPS and spec is only slightly less than the Prime.

Seems some reports that Prime has (or will shortly be) discontinued and so (aside from the TF101) Asus will roll with Pad and Infinity?

Wonder can we expect same c*ap supply issues as the Prime? (lets all go to PC World thread and start dinging Declan about when it will be in stock :D )

Expects to start shipping in UK May time frame.

legrand wrote: »
    Review from Anand Tech here
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5756/asus-transformer-pad-300-review

No issues with Wifi/GPS and spec is only slightly less than the Prime.

Seems some reports that Prime has (or will shortly be) discontinued and so (aside from the TF101) Asus will roll with Pad and Infinity?

Wonder can we expect same c*ap supply issues as the Prime? (lets all go to PC World thread and start dinging Declan about when it will be in stock :D )

Expects to start shipping in UK May time frame.

Reading about it in a few places buy all I kept thinking about was that PC World thread and whether to ask Declan or not :-)

For anyone interested in the Acer A510, which is pretty much identically specced to the Prime (minus the keyboard dock), mine is en route from Pixmania with UPS and I should have it tomorrow so I'll post a review asap. There is already a review at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh9Tce0fcNs and a comparison with the Prime at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yD5_dGFyzY for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Anyone had issues with playing audio through hdmi on tv?

So far internet has informed me it could be the ICS update, the cable, panasonic tv, aliens... :rolleyes:

For anyone interested in the Acer A510, which is pretty much identically specced to the Prime (minus the keyboard dock), mine is en route from Pixmania with UPS and I should have it tomorrow so I'll post a review asap. There is already a comparison review with the Prime at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh9Tce0fcNs for anyone interested.

Great mate....can I be nosey and ask how much you paid all in for it?

Cheers,
    M

For anyone interested in the Acer A510, which is pretty much identically specced to the Prime (minus the keyboard dock), mine is en route from Pixmania with UPS and I should have it tomorrow so I'll post a review asap. There is already a review at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh9Tce0fcNs and a comparison with the Prime at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yD5_dGFyzY for anyone interested.

That looks sweet. If you ignore the dock (and 200 euros is reason enough to, I guess!) then the Acer seems to win in nearly every category. Maybe it's time for an Acer Iconia A510 thread?

That looks sweet. If you ignore the dock (and 200 euros is reason enough to, I guess!) then the Acer seems to win in nearly every category. Maybe it's time for an Acer Iconia A510 thread?

True! Wonder where in Dublin they will have them for a play??

• Advertisement
Advertisement