Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus Transformer Prime

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

madmoe wrote: »
    True! Wonder where in Dublin they will have them for a play??

HMV had its predecessor, the 500 so I reckon when this goes mainstream they should phase that out the 510 in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

madmoe wrote: »
    Great mate....can I be nosey and ask how much you paid all in for it?

Cheers,
    M

It was €399 + €15 UPS overnight, from Pixmania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

mossie wrote: »
    It was €399 + €15 UPS overnight, from Pixmania.

Not bad....that the 32GB plus the dock??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

No dock with Acer A510.

Code for Pixmania PIXIEAPR8 for 8 Euro off too. Bear in mind their customer service is probably the worst too if anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Agreed

Personally speaking I'd wait a few weeks longer to the Acer Iconia A510 from Amazon.UK/DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 retiredhurler

Splashed out on the prime as my first tablet having done a bit of research, including keeping an eye on threads while lurking here. One problem I'm having is linking up my phone to it. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I thought when i connected the phone to the tablet with the USB cable it'd just link automatically but there has been no visible sign of connection on the tablet. I'm not very tech savvy and was wondering if I was missing something obvious. Can anybody help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

Jarren wrote: »

I got the Acer delivered today. Very impressed so far. I will start a thread with a review later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Splashed out on the prime as my first tablet having done a bit of research, including keeping an eye on threads while lurking here. One problem I'm having is linking up my phone to it. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace. I thought when i connected the phone to the tablet with the USB cable it'd just link automatically but there has been no visible sign of connection on the tablet. I'm not very tech savvy and was wondering if I was missing something obvious. Can anybody help?

No tablets besides windows slates can do that. Android just doesn't support that right now.

In essence Android tablets or the iPad for that matter are just big smartphones

• Advertisement

No tablets besides windows slates can do that. Android just doesn't support that right now.

Cheers for the feedback lads. Disappointing. Assumed that an android phone would be able to connect to an android tablet.

For people looking for feedback from me I've found the tablet very user friendly and can do most things I want it do. The battery life is a huge plus. My biggest gripe would be the keyboard. I have found while typing, using the keyboard dock, that the cursor occasionally takes on a life of its own and appears somewhere else on the screen. This can be infuriating as it takes forever to type a simple email.

Cheers for the feedback lads. Disappointing. Assumed that an android phone would be able to connect to an android tablet.

For people looking for feedback from me I've found the tablet very user friendly and can do most things I want it do. The battery life is a huge plus. My biggest gripe would be the keyboard. I have found while typing, using the keyboard dock, that the cursor occasionally takes on a life of its own and appears somewhere else on the screen. This can be infuriating as it takes forever to type a simple email.

Just did search on my typing issue and fixed it by pressing fourth button in from top left that looks like a computer screen with a line through it. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Just had the GPS dongle delivered. Did anyone else get it?

It seems to work well. It managed to see about 14 Sat's and get locked to anywhere from 3-7 of them.

I only tested it for a few minutes but I'll cache some google maps and test it out in the real world later :) It might just come in handy for the holiday next week.

Can you not just turn the phone's wireless hotspot on and then connect the Tablet to it via WiFi?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The idea of android is that it is connected through the cloud and means you don't have to physically link to various other devices regularly... There are literally dozens of ways to exchange info between your prime and phone, without using a cable... I can't imagine a scenario where I'd need to plug my phone into my tablet..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I would have thought most people would just pop out the SD card and put it in the other device and copied it to internal memory.

• Advertisement

I would have thought most people would just pop out the SD card and put it in the other device and copied it to internal memory.

Most average folks wouldn't even know there is a memory card slot, never mind knowing how to do that. Cloud sync is even out of the question.

Most people do know that you can plug things into your PC through a USB and they can talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Most average folks wouldn't even know there is a memory card slot, never mind knowing how to do that. Cloud sync is even out of the question.

Most people do know that you can plug things into your PC through a USB and they can talk.

Most people wouldn't spend that kind of money on a non apple product.
    Or would they ? Without doing a bit of research first.

If people want PCs they should buy PCs. I'm still confused as to why you would want physically connect the two devices... To share internet connections? Share files? Share photos? Share apps or settings? These things are all at the core of how Android works - through the cloud. If someone can't get their head around this, I'm sure there are other more useful devices.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    If people want PCs they should buy PCs. I'm still confused as to why you would want physically connect the two devices... To share internet connections? Share files? Share photos? Share apps or settings? These things are all at the core of how Android works - through the cloud. If someone can't get their head around this, I'm sure there are other more useful devices.

People don't realize what Android tablets are or even the iPad for that matter. A lot of folks would think that Android tablet or iPad is a PC and can do everything a PC has been for a decade. It can do a lot of stuff, though not all of it.

Only the smarter people actually research their stuff. Most of them buy it and then find out that it doesn't work that day. Tbh most people that would buy tablets would be more savvy users.

You do realise that majority of population barely knows how to use a PC. Even the younger gen only knows the basics. Likes of iPad and even Android tablets are simpler cause their dummed down on functions, leaving to less options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Just had the GPS dongle delivered. Did anyone else get it?

It seems to work well. It managed to see about 14 Sat's and get locked to anywhere from 3-7 of them.

I only tested it for a few minutes but I'll cache some google maps and test it out in the real world later :) It might just come in handy for the holiday next week.

Two weeks later, my order is still being processed.

• Advertisement

Eoin247 wrote: »

I was same, in fact I checked on Monday and it was still saying processed. Got a call at 10 this morning from a TNT delivery guy asking if I was in the house. Lucky I was!

Haven't had a chance to play properly with it yet. Google maps doesn't seem to like not being connected to the Internet too much!

Eoin247 wrote: »

I was the same, in fact I checked on Monday and it was still saying processed. Got a call at 10 this morning from a TNT delivery guy asking if I was in the house. Lucky I was!

Haven't had a chance to play properly with it yet. Google maps doesn't seem to like not being connected to the Internet too much!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bluefoam wrote: »

I regularly swap large video files with friends using SD cards. It just wouldn't be possible over the internet. Also, I've never figured out how to do that with an iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Jarren wrote: »
    Personally speaking I'd wait a few weeks longer to the Acer Iconia A510 from Amazon.UK/DE.
    €599 on Amazon.de now... but €439 (in silver only) from Pixmania?

peckerhead wrote: »
    €599 on Amazon.de now... but €439 (in silver only) from Pixmania?

Why so feckin' expensive??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

At that price I wouldn't be to bothered about a silver one for €429.I've seen that €599 on Amazon.de. I thought it was a mistake ? Seems very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Looks like .25 update is in limited beta testing now, meant to address screen flickering, gaming issues, browser crashes and thread handling priorities. Should hopefully get a public release next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Unbelievably still haven't gotten the dongle. After a month of processing it finally read "dispatched". Will report back when i get it some time this christmas. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I've just received my Champagne coloured Prime and I have to say it is a beautiful piece of kit. Just looking to get started with it now and as it's my first time using Android, I'll have to play around with it to get used to it.

On first impressions, wifi reception seems poor - wouldn't connect upstairs in my house where laptops have no problem with connection. It's a C4UK serial number running Kernel 2.6.39.4-0003-g2108187, Build IML74K.WW_epad-9.4.2 15-20120221, Android version 4.0.3, Wifi version V6.1.1.18. When I hit System Firmware Update, it just goes to the Check Update page and stays there for ages without anything happening.

Do I have the latest software and if not, is there any way I can force the update? While I really like the device, if this is wifi service it provides, it's going straight back as it's a total deal-breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Sounds like you are on the latest version.
    Maybe do a factory reset before playing just to ensure a clean set up.
    Yeah wifi not great but i set usage to performance mode when far from router. Dunno if this boosts the reciever or not.
    Also just got my gps dongle today, tight fit. Doubt ill use it much

Gar

• Advertisement

I've just received my Champagne coloured Prime and I have to say it is a beautiful piece of kit. Just looking to get started with it now and as it's my first time using Android, I'll have to play around with it to get used to it.

On first impressions, wifi reception seems poor - wouldn't connect upstairs in my house where laptops have no problem with connection. It's a C4UK serial number running Kernel 2.6.39.4-0003-g2108187, Build IML74K.WW_epad-9.4.2 15-20120221, Android version 4.0.3, Wifi version V6.1.1.18. When I hit System Firmware Update, it just goes to the Check Update page and stays there for ages without anything happening.

Do I have the latest software and if not, is there any way I can force the update? While I really like the device, if this is wifi service it provides, it's going straight back as it's a total deal-breaker.

Just curious as to where you bought it from? I bought mine from Amazon.co.uk but as GPS was a no go and it had very poor WiFi performance I sent it back....

Cheers,
    M

I think you are on the .15 version. The there is a .21 update in March, made wifi a bit better but rest of update was meh, you can get it from Asus website direct under download section if the ota is hanging. There is a .25 update in beta at the min, should be released within a week I reckon.

Also, on xda one of the lads edited the build prop and it seems to have had the unintended effect of solving some of the wifi Bluetooth issues, and generally makes the prime more snappy and responsive. I've been using it for last week and can notice overall. Improvement.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1647357
    [MOD][Custom Build Prop] Increase Overall Performance & Battery Life of PRIME

It will allow you to recover from any soft bricks. So it should make flashing new roms that bit less risky - in so far as fubaring the device and needing to send it back to Asus to repair!

Just read over on xda that the 4.1 jelly bean update will be released to US region within next 48 hours, Sweden apparently is also rolling out at moment too. So hopefully it'll appear soon for everyone on the WW region.
    Thankfully mine is US... Now to play the waiting game :-)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1906603

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭legrand

got JB on my TF300 some weeks back. To be honest, whilst it may offer some new features/stability, there isn't a huge difference in the UI experience so don't expect any WOW factor - just a personal opinion.

legrand wrote: »
    got JB on my TF300 some weeks back. To be honest, whilst it may offer some new features/stability, there isn't a huge difference in the UI experience so don't expect any WOW factor - just a personal opinion.

Its actually very good news for the Prime & allot of people have been waiting a long time for it. It should fix some lag & browser lock ups.

legrand wrote: »

Don't care too much about wow ui factors since jb doesn't offer much over ics. More stability and speed is good enough for me. Hopefully they included the updates from the 28.5 update that never was...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I got my update to JB Thursday, although I did buy my TF201 in the US. Smoother running and it has Google Now too.
    Enjoy it when you get it :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I got my update too, got my prime locally.

Much smoother, much faster browsing, and the Lip Sync issue with bluetooth speakers is gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Sorry for going a bit off topic but am looking at the TF101 is it really outdated now?

Advertisement