Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help re "Mr Fox"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm absolutely convinced that if most foxes had mange then they would be entirely different looking animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm absolutely convinced that if most foxes had mange then they would be entirely different looking animals.
    They also carry round worm which can also be passed to pets and lida, kids are at a.lower risk from catching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

alie wrote: »
    Human urine is a good deterent, it will pit him off coming into your garden, most foxes have mange which can be passed to pets .
    both of those statements are wrong
    I think you will find they are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

They also carry round worm which can also be passed to pets and lida, kids are at a.lower risk from catching it.

As does virtually every wild animal on the planet, and any pets that aren't wormed regularly. Your childs greatest risk of catching worms is at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

The urine thing is an old wives tail as is leaving bags of human hair around etc.
    Dosnt work at all. They are foxes, not stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

<br />
    really? This year iv handled prob 25+ foxes, 1 had mange. The rest were very healthy apart from another missing some teeth. Homerhop has dealt with more than double that this year and i reckon he will tell you an equally low number with mange. How many have you seen up close with mange? As for scenting, was already said its an urban myth. Local farmer i do some work for had a den in a field full of sheep, himself his father and even the dog used ud piss all over it because he also heard that myth but that pair of foxes raised cubs there last year. Do you think a fox Wont cross into another territory? Of course they do and Thats all you do by pissing in your garden, Mark your territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

In my past I have handled literally hundreds of foxes, I was rescuing them. I have hand reared cubs & dealt with injured adults. Mange was pretty rare & homer/kildare are right regarding scenting. I have always had foxes nearby - a Vixen visits my garden a couple of night per week. I would never worry about a fox hurting a cat or even a small dog & definitely not a child.

The fox, like any other wild animal, needs to protect itself & the fox's protection is to run away. They won't risk conflict because they might get hurt & then be unable to hunt. The staple diet of my local Foxes are rats - I often see my Vixen with a rat in her mouth - that's why my local farmer welcomes her. The Vixen waits for the farmer to feed the ponies as she knows that rats will come in to get the pony food.

Your dogs will get used to the fox just as the fox has already got used to the dogs. As a child I was lucky in that my father would take me out at dusk to watch the foxes. Why not do the same ?

If you want to really learn about your neighbour then read The Complete Fox by Les Stocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Have you ever met an animal with mange? Most foxes do not have mange, if they did they would look like this

http://www.google.ie/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1065&bih=596&q=fox+with+mange&gbv=2&oq=fox+with&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=1&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1563l3891l0l5703l8l8l0l1l1l0l468l1625l2-3.1.1l5l0

What are you basing your opinion on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Well all , after Mr Fox was chased around the estate by a neighbours collie last wk I haven't seen him at all .... So for the moment our Visitor seems to have found a different garden to frequent.. thanks for all the advice & replys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

marley123 wrote: »
    Well all , after Mr Fox was chased around the estate by a neighbours collie last wk I haven't seen him at all .... So for the moment our Visitor seems to have found a different garden to frequent.. thanks for all the advice & replys.

He will be back or another Fox will. Especially as Winter sets in Foxes will find it harder to get food. Maybe another neighbour is feeding it - but we had better not go there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

marley123 wrote: »

They are creatures of habit so it is not too far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

never heard of a fox taking a cat,in all the cities and towns in the UK have foxes living,even in trafford park manchester, i have hand fed them at night,one old girl would follow me down to the works canteen and back expecting a treat,another vixen would bring her cubs to the gate house to see if we would feed them.at home my neighbour once told me that one night she let her puppies into the back garden and watched fox cubs playing with them on the lawn,with the vixen watching,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

getz wrote: »
    never heard of a fox taking a cat,in all the cities and towns in the UK have foxes living,even in trafford park manchester, i have hand fed them at night,one old girl would follow me down to the works canteen and back expecting a treat,another vixen would bring her cubs to the gate house to see if we would feed them.at home my neighbour once told me that one night she let her puppies into the back garden and watched fox cubs playing with them on the lawn,with the vixen watching,

At one time I lived in the outskirts of London and saw more foxes than I do now, even though I now live in a rural area. Previously, I used to see quite a few in the garden and one night one of my cats was sitting on the wall and was approached by a fox. The cat gave the fox a swipe with her paw and the fox ran off.

I never had a problem with the foxes, although sometimes it became rather noisy during the mating season. One of my dogs had great fun chasing them, but it did not stop the foxes returning.

Advertisement