Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article: Emigrants need the option to come home, not pity

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Yes, at least now people can carry a conversation about something other than the price of property. People have finally copped on that having a gigantic mortgage on an apartment in the bog doesn't mean you are rich.

You're right, they can. They now talk about the debt accumulated over the said property :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mandrake04 wrote: »
    All in all my parents phone number in Ireland is saved as HOME because that where it always will be.

What if they emigrated??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

MadsL wrote: »
    What if they emigrated??

My dad is 61 and my mum is 59, they are too old to emigrate to Australia and they would hardly emigrate anywhere else.

Plus they are happy enough playing with the grand kids, they are simple country folk who at most come and holiday for a few months during the southern summer.

so home is home, I still have a 1/2 a house & bit of land over there so its not as if I cut all my roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    So because "everyone else does it" that makes it ok or acceptable is it? Shouldn't we strive for better?
    Obviously, but you did single out Ireland for criticism.
    Um.. 10 working days = 2 weeks :)
    Indeed it is – in other words you’ll be lucky if they get back to you in the period of time they have allowed for themselves.
    But I dare say a fair one
    Eh, no, it is not fair to label the entire population of any country as greedy, lazy, selfish and immature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The only significantly annoying thing regarding cost of living in comparison to other western countries for me is the huge tax on alcohol.
    That there is massive excise on alcohol in Ireland is a myth perpetuated by publicans - very little of what you pay at the bar goes to Revenue.
    There are more countries than just Ireland and the United States. Have you been to Eastern Europe, Latin America, Africa, parts of Oceania, Middle East or most of the far East, or can you imagine growing up in one of those regions? Ireland is unquestionably a great country to live in, in comparison to most of the world, regardless of whether you are from Foxrock or rural Donegal.
    While I agree with the general thrust of your argument, I think this is a bit silly. Would you rather live in rural Donegal than, say, Prague? Krakow? Ljubljana?

Advertisement