Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Presidential Election Exit Poll

• 27-10-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

We've had many polls on the politics forum during the campaign; I think it's appropriate that we have a final one as peoples' opinions (like my own) have changed throughout. I hope the mods don't mind!

If you can't vote today you can tick the couldn't vote/didn't vote box. :)

See also:
    29th Amendment exit poll: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056433512#
    30th Amendment exit poll: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056433507#

Who was your first preference in the 2011 Presidential Election? 900 votes

Mary Davis
    0% 0 votes
    Sean Gallagher
    1% 12 votes
    Micheal D. Higgins
    12% 111 votes
    Martin McGuiness
    44% 400 votes
    Gay Mitchell
    18% 163 votes
    David Norris
    3% 28 votes
    Dana Rosemary Scallon
    18% 163 votes
    Went to polling station but did not vote in the Presidential Election
    1% 14 votes
    Didn't/couldn't go to the polling station
    1% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Finished work at 8am and headed straight to the polling station. There were a good few in on their way to work and dropping the kids to school. Hopefully there's a decent turnout as I hate apathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Couldn't vote. Stuck in hospital. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The turnout is pitiful so far despite the fine weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Voted. Martin Mc Guinness Number 1.

Didn't seem a huge amount of people at the polling station. Good luck to all the candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

But you'd be happy to vote in a FF gangster like Gallagher? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Godofhellfire

I'm going to keep an eye on this all day, very interesting. I'm just back from the polling station and there was a good few there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sugerbabev

can anybody tell me where holy cross boys school in mahon is? i have to vote there but no idea where it is as just moved to area. i live on aldi side of blackrock. much obliged if anyone can advise me thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

We've had many polls on the politics forum during the campaign; I think it's appropriate that we have a final one as peoples' opinions (like my own) have changed throughout. I hope the mods don't mind!

If you can't vote today you can tick the couldn't vote/didn't vote box. :)

See also:
    29th Amendment exit poll: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056433512#
    30th Amendment exit poll: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056433507#

Anyone know when the official exit polls will be out? Any tonight? I know that RTE issue theirs at around 7:30 the morning after the election but maybe TV3 etc might trump them this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I voted for Michael D, the best person for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Michael D got my #1. I had no other preferences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

Polling booth I'm in has about 11% turnout so far at 1pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

So, let's get this straight... you hate the concept of social justice so much that you'd rather vote for a politically and ethically vacuous, evasive chancer, who paints himself as some kind of gargantuan entrepreneur, but has achieved very little (apart from being "on de telly") - and just happens to be the de facto candidate of the party that led the country to the worst financial catastrophe in its history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

I voted Norris #1, and McGuiness #2 as protests against the incumbent government.

My #3 went to MDH, which is where I imagine my vote will end up, and hopefully help elect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

Went for

Micheal D
    Matin McG
    Dana
    Norris
    Mitchell
    Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

1. Dana
    2. Norris
    3. Higgins

no

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

1. MDH
    2. DN
    3. GM
    4. MD
    5. SG
    6. DRS
    7. MMG

Hopefully this poll will be more accurate than the one that predicted Dylan Haskin would be elected on the first count!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Finally opted for

1. Higgins
    2. Dana
    3. Davis
    4. Mitchell

Didn't go anywhere beyond that because even writing down 2, 3 & 4 turned my stomach a little, let alone even contemplating what order the 3 with the most controversies should be in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

1. MDH
    2. DN
    3. SG
    4. GM
    5. MD
    6. D
    7. IRA

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yes. The concept of social justice, in the hands of politically and ethically vacuous Ellsworth Tooheys such as Michael D. Higgins, is a much greater threat to the future of our country than the now-neutralized Fianna Fáil party.[/Quote]

How is it "neutralised" if you and others choose to give one of them power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

So you voting for Gallagher has nothing to do with you being a hardcore FF supporter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

1. Dana
    2. Norris
    3. Higgins

no

no

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

But you'd be happy to vote in a FF gangster like Gallagher? :confused:

Rather than a gangster who claims to act for the undeserved:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/former-ff-minister-tops-dail-expenses-at-pound71000-305173.html

68k would have bought alot for a family back in 2002, and that was just his expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In around 7.30 this morning. Very quiet

1. DN
    2. MDH
    3. SG
    4. MD
    5. GM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

RayM wrote: »
    So, let's get this straight... you hate the concept of social justice so much that you'd rather vote for a politically and ethically vacuous, evasive chancer, who paints himself as some kind of gargantuan entrepreneur, but has achieved very little (apart from being "on de telly") - and just happens to be the de facto candidate of the party that led the country to the worst financial catastrophe in its history?
    That's some record for Gallagher, Dana would be a better choice having won the Eurovision song contest

Voted myself earlier, Michael D number one and Gay Mitchell number two, there were a few around in Askea and returning officer said they had a steady stream of people since they had opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emmacasey

What's wrong with Gay Mitchell?:

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    Polling booth I'm in has about 11% turnout so far at 1pm

Which for the area is good/bad/normal? :P

emmacasey wrote: »
    What's wrong with Gay Mitchell?:

Whats right about Gay Mitchell? Besides his social beliefs perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i just cant believe so many admit to voting for gallagher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

sugerbabev wrote: »
    can anybody tell me where holy cross boys school in mahon is? i have to vote there but no idea where it is as just moved to area. i live on aldi side of blackrock. much obliged if anyone can advise me thanks

It's on Avenue de Rennes - http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=avenue+de+rennes+mahon+cork&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48449ad4e708d9e5:0xbf4d10e7ba0c448b,Avenue+de+Rennes,+Mahon,+Cork,+Co.+Cork&gl=ie&ei=Z1apTtW1B4K0hAeS-5GaDg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Marty
    Michael
    Gay
    David
    Sean (sweet jesus:o)
    Dana
    Mary

that's the way I went but I reckon it'll end up as.

Michael
    Marty
    David
    Gay
    Dana
    Sean
    Mary

I'd be happy with that result...

maccored wrote: »
    i just cant believe so many admit to voting for gallagher

Some may honestly claim ignorance,
    but the rest are essentially enemies of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

1. Norris
    2. Higgins

I put a line through the boxes for the rest of them.

I'm eternally hopeful for Norris, wouldn't mind Michael D. at all, but as long as it's not the Provo, I don't mind. I would even stomach Dana instead of him, so desperate she had to make damaging leaks about herself. God help her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

spurious wrote: »
    1. Norris
    2. Higgins

Is that not a spoilt vote?? Norris won't be happy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

spurious wrote: »
    1. Norris
    2. Higgins

I'm eternally hopeful for Norris, wouldn't mind Michael D. at all, but as long as it's not the Provo, I don't mind. I would even stomach Dana instead of him, so desperate she had to make damaging leaks about herself. God help her.

Does that spoil the ballot paper? Will Norris still get your vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

1-Higgins
    2-Norris
    3-McGuinness
    4-Mitchell
    5-Davis
    6-Gallagher
    7-Dana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is that not a spoilt vote?? Norris won't be happy!!
    No. A spoilt vote is usually one where someone's preference cannot be determined. Such as putting down two 1's or an X in two boxes. In the above instance, the first preference goes to Norris, transfers to Higgins and after that is discarded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

seamus wrote: »
    No. A spoilt vote is usually one where someone's preference cannot be determined. Such as putting down two 1's or an X in two boxes. In the above instance, the first preference goes to Norris, transfers to Higgins and after that is discarded.

This is true.
    I used to do tallies many moons ago and you should see some of the votes party reps will argue over. Putting a line through the empty boxes means no mysterious 'marks' can appear on my paper transferring my vote to someone I did not want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Gave Higgins my first preference, Norris got my second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Note to those voting in Cork - encountered a problem with the voter identifying number on the polling cards being incorrect - while at the polling station 6 others were experiencing the same thing- apparently going by the number the only occupant at my address is a woman I've never heard of -I'm fairly sure I would have noticed her if she lived here, met her in the kitchen, queue for the loo/shower or something....

Lucky myself and my son had passports, driving licences etc with us so we could prove we were who we said we were and live where we say we live...

So anyone yet to vote in Cork - please bring ID and proof of address!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Whats right about Gay Mitchell? Besides his social beliefs perhaps.

lol what social beliefs and how would his social beliefs make any difference to the President?

Some people have weird views of what the President can and cant do - even candidates themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

1-McGuinness (I'm not even a Shinner)
    2-Higgins
    3-Norris
    4-Dana
    5-Davis
    6-Mitchell

Vote cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sean Gallagher - The only candidate whose ugly mug I didn't have to look at on my way to college and work every morning for the last few weeks as he didn't have any posters up!

Disclaimer: I do not think all candidates have ugly mugs, I am using the phrase instead of the word "face"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭applejam

Gave Higgins my first preference, Norris got my second.

Same as above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Why the final 2 options in the poll? At this point, and in the count, it's only the first 7 that count. Spoiled / non votes don't from any part of the final percentages.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

permabear,

given the extremely biased nature of your postings here, it may be time to consider whether you should really be a moderator on political topics

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Sean Gallagher - The only candidate whose ugly mug I didn't have to look at on my way to college and work every morning for the last few weeks as he didn't have any posters up!

Disclaimer: I do not think all candidates have ugly mugs, I am using the phrase instead of the word "face"

Here we have him. The prototypical Sean Gallagher voter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement