Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Presidential Election Exit Poll

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

1 Higgins
    2 McGuinness
    3 Norris
    4 Davis
    5 Mitchell

Kept changing my mind between the top three but the fear of Gallagher still winning made me plump for Michael D as the best bet to stop him. He is probably the best option anyway.

For the person who got Higgins/Norris at 66/1 I wouldn't think its outside the realms of possibility - Norris's support seems to be recovering nicely since Mondays debate especially.

Oh and voted Yes on Judges pay and No on Oireachtas Enquiries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

1. Michael D.
    2. Norris
    3. Mitchell
    4. Davis

no desire to put any number against the names of the other 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

macca
    midget
    gay...the one with the beard:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Its probably a good thing you're not in the country, since you don't seem to grasp the principle of a single transferrable voting system - there is NO need for strategic voting.

Simply put your preferred candidate anywhere on the ballot paper AHEAD of your least preferred. Start from #7(worst) and work upwards. As long as you put Gallagher anywhere ahead of MDH & MMG you've made your point.

Also feel free to fill 1-5, omitting MDH & MMG but if it comes down these two at the end, any opinion you may have of the least worst between them is null and void.

Why am I explaining this??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

1. Gallagher
    2. Higgins
    3. Mitchell
    4. Norris
    5. Davis
    6. McGuinness
    7. Dana

I voted for Gallagher, because apart from the whole collecting a a cheque issue (which IMO was blown way out of proportion) i felt he came across as good candidate, from outside of the political mainstream.

I also voted no on both constitutional amendments as i felt the wording on Oireachtas inquiries was to vague, and that the cutting of Judges pay being controlled by any serving Government diminishes the separation of powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 The Cookie Monster

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    macca
    midget
    gay...the one with the beard:D

I voted excatly same as yourself.

Although Norris vote wont be counted as i cant see Micheal D (Darby O Gill, as i call him), been eliminated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

RayM wrote: »
    So, let's get this straight... you hate the concept of social justice so much that you'd rather vote for a politically and ethically vacuous, evasive chancer, who paints himself as some kind of gargantuan entrepreneur, but has achieved very little (apart from being "on de telly") - and just happens to be the de facto candidate of the party that led the country to the worst financial catastrophe in its history?

Gallagher is like Francisco d'Anconia, the much maligned hero of Atlas Shrugged, whose every business move is a roaring success if only he could keep his own profits rather than have them appropriated by the lefties who are a bunch of incompetent crumbums.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭brownswiss

cornbb wrote: »
    Firstly, speaking out against the uglier aspects of American foreign policy is not the same thing as being anti-American. Plenty of proud Americans have negative things to say about their own country. Secondly, American companies won't give a toss about our president's views. They only care about tax breaks, employment law, access to EU markets, an educated, English-speaking population etc. If the US didn't do business with countries that criticised them how many countries you you reckon they could do business with?

Michael D's ability and willingness to speak up against wrong is one of his strongest attributes. Too many governments here have chickened out and turned a blind eye.....

Michael D deserves great credit for certain stands he has taken...

I agree with all above and wonder why anyone would use the " left wing " title to knock him.....

I do not vote labour or sf and i would not consider either of them genuine left wing....

How is MD left and if you can give me examples has he done any harm by being so

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Just back from voting. The polling station was busy at this evening.

1. Norris
    2. Higgins
    3. Davis

Hubbie and son both voted for Higgins no 1 and we all voted yes to both referendums.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Gallagher is like Francisco d'Anconia, the much maligned hero of Atlas Shrugged, whose every business move is a roaring success if only he could keep his own profits rather than have them appropriated by the lefties who are a bunch of incompetent crumbums.

Please explain.....

Did the lefties get their hands on the 5k from the oil smuggler or what profits are you referring to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

brownswiss wrote: »
    Michael D deserves great credit for certain stands he has taken...

Completely agree with you.
    I agree with all above and wonder why anyone would use the " left wing " title to knock him.....

I do not vote labour or sf and i would not consider either of them genuine left wing....

How is MD left and if you can give me examples has he done any harm by being so

I put "left" in double quotes as that's what the guy I was quoting referred to him as. I have no real opinion on where MDH is on the political spectrum and I don't think it really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I think you need to stop reading fairytales and start reading some real books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Dymo wrote: »
    Polling booth I'm in has about 11% turnout so far at 1pm

Which for the area is good/bad/normal? :P

Inline with the rest of the country, at 37% now and expect it to be about 45% by 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Im just hitting the refresh button all the time while watching the poll graph...Its Interesting watching the graph values move evry two seconds....really shows the trend....Try it!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MulliganStew

For my own sanity....

Blue Slip Referendum was....

Green Slip Referendum was...

Im not going to list what I actually thought each one was to spare the world my stupidity.

Saying to myself "yeah yeah yeah" expecting a small description of each referendum on the sheet, instead of actually listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mk2magic

Michael D #1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Meant to say earlier. Voted:
    1. McGuinness
    2. Higgins

I didn't think the would be a chance that there would be any candidates remaining after McGuinness gets eliminated besides Higgins and Gallagher. If I thought Norris would get a strong showing I would maybe have considered putting him second but, thinking about it now, I'd probably have still gone for Higgins. I'm just hoping that he'll do enough to keep Gallagher out. It does look like anyone who's not voting for Gallagher is voting to keep him out so that can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Voted at about 5pm

MdH
    MMcG
    DN

At that point turnout at my booth was about 25%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

Time wrote: »
    1. Gallagher
    2. Higgins
    3. Mitchell
    4. Norris
    5. Davis
    6. McGuinness
    7. Dana

I voted for Gallagher, because apart from the whole collecting a a cheque issue (which IMO was blown way out of proportion) i felt he came across as good candidate, from outside of the political mainstream.

I also voted no on both constitutional amendments as i felt the wording on Oireachtas inquiries was to vague, and that the cutting of Judges pay being controlled by any serving Government diminishes the separation of powers.

head-desk-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1274356860.jpg

have a read of this. *sigh*

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/bruce-arnold-gallaghers-mythmaking-will-bring-shame-on-aras-2915893.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

I plead with everyone who hasn't yet voted to give David Norris their first preference and win me a tonne of money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I have yet to vote but I'm going with:

1# D. Norris

2# MD Higgins

3# G. Mitchel

Yes

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

What are you talking about?

effluent wrote: »
    1# D. Norris

Good man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

yuppies wrote: »
    I plead with everyone who hasn't yet voted to give David Norris their first preference and win me a tonne of money :D

Just for you - I did. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

BQQ wrote: »

Sorry I should have made that a bit clearer, what I meant by that was that he has not been a sitting T.D or senator before. His previous involvement with FF is of no concern to me. He is not currently a member of FF and I cant see how him being elected would lead to any political gains for FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

For my own sanity....

Blue Slip Referendum was....

Green Slip Referendum was...

Im not going to list what I actually thought each one was to spare the world my stupidity.

Saying to myself "yeah yeah yeah" expecting a small description of each referendum on the sheet, instead of actually listening.

Sorry I can't remember - like you I thought the full wording would be on the ballot paper. Hope you voted the way you wanted to - you probably did. I nearly always find myself thinking after I've gone home - did I definitely put the numbers in the correct boxes. Weird I know .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Sorry I should have made that a bit clearer, what I meant by that was that he has not been a sitting T.D or senator before. His previous involvement with FF is of no concern to me. He is not currently a member of FF and I cant see how him being elected would lead to any political gains for FF.

its his dodgy business practices and the fact he was caught out very publicly lying that gets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

He is not currently a member of FF ....

Is this true ? I thought he'd only "resigned" from the executive.

If he's nowhere near them, why did they try to save his skin the other day, given the way they usually throw scorn on those who abandon the one true ship ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

yuppies wrote: »

Why dident you say that before now :) How much will we win ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

realies wrote: »

no way, Michael D all the way, have money on him and intend on collecting Saturday afternoon, Norris is a nice chap but way too grey around the area of underage sex not to mention those clemency letters:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

1. Micky D
    2. Norris
    3. Davis
    4. Mitchell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I hope to god this poll is accurate.

no way, Michael D all the way, have money on him and intend on collecting Saturday afternoon, Norris is a nice chap but way too grey around the area of underage sex not to mention those clemency letters:rolleyes:

I was trying but obviously failed at being a bit humorous seems that the election is over here bar the counting of votes. I gave senior norris a number 4 or 5 and he was very lucky to get that.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I hope to god this poll is accurate.

Don't know myself not hear long enough to judge, Maybe some other long term posters can fill us in on the accuracy of polls here and the big outside world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Shenanigans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes he is a member but won't admit it as it would effect his chances of being elected. He has appeared at many F.F. functions all over the country over the last year. He is a liar and has been caught out.
    If you want to vote for liars then go ahead but remember who caused the problems in our country when you or some of your family or friends have to emigrate.
    The unused voting cards lying on the mantlepieces, tables and window-sills of Ireland are testament to why we should ensure people like Gallagher should never attain high office. They caused the emigration of the people whose names are on those voting cards.

20 on a 66/1 shot makes 1340 return... I could do a LOT with that money!

Just need Higgins to get the most first preferences, and Norris the second most.. I'd be fairly confident Higgins will come first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭joeystrider

Oh I really hope this is how it turns out! So scared that Sean Gallagher and his PR people will have beguiled enough people into thinking he is anything but a vacuous FF bagman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Don't know myself not hear long enough to judge, Maybe some other long term posters can fill us in on the accuracy of polls here and the big outside world.

Boards polls aren't really very accurate, particularly in the politics forum. The demographic that uses Boards is obviously very narrow and the people likely to visit the politics forum are more likely to be aligned with a political party or, at least, be passionate about their politics. Rural votes are under-represented. Saying all that, it is heartening to see Gallagher so low and Higgins so high. There's room for a massive swing and Higgins would still win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

What's most striking here is the lack of any kind of strategic voting or vote management by people. It seems pretty obvious this will go down to transfers so would it not be more valuable (and more fun) to vote strategically? For example a straight MDH, SG or MMcG as a first preference is just that. But a Dana-1, GM-2, Norris-3, MMcG-4 and SG or MDH 5 would be far more interesting and make your vote work for you. When Dana, Gay, Norris and McGuinness go out your vote still travels and has far more impact in deciding the outcome of this election? A 1 and 2 vote only for any two is dead at that stage. Nothing wrong with a first preference for your preferred candidate, but isn’t just more fun to give them a 3 or 5 that counts when they need it with transfers going down. Single transferable vote and all that..... Indeed the first transfers poll here doesn’t suggest much, it’s largely irrelevant as its where the lower placed votes transfer to that’s going to matter in this one. Mind you if Dana tops the poll I’ll be punching myself in the head!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I reckon 1st preferences will be close with Michael D shading it over Gallagher, Norris third and mcGuinness 4th.

Transfers will go Michael d's way particularly from MMcG and he'll win before Norris is eliminated.

Also, I think we'll see Gallagher being wooed in FF and spearheading New FF with a promise of a real clean up of their funny business that really only started with the haughey era and which now has run its course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Voted Mickey D no. 1 and no other preference expressed.

On account of him being the only one qualified for the job like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It started from inception, with Eamon De Valera. Devious from the start, buying up the media and some say responsible for his biggest rivals death. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

1) MDH
    2) DN
    3) and shocked myself by putting Mary Davis in 3rd.

I didn't put down any more and the minute I left I was kicking myself - should have put down a full seven. I am counting down the minutes to 10pm to see what the exit polls are saying.

I really hope SG does not get in - what it will say about our country if he is would be beyond depressing: that we have no higher aspirations in this country than material gain and looking after yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

MDH
    Norris
    Mitchell
    M McG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭seanin4711

michael D
    mcguinness

No
    No
    because of this article
    We are Change, Ireland
    Read this before voting, important.

Status update
    By Iarla Intinn
    From Kathy Sinnott: URGENT, URGENT URGENT!!!

Judges’ Pay Referendum – BEWARE THE DEADLY HIDDEN TRAP!

The following is the exact quotation taken from the Prime Time
    interview with Estelle Feldman Senior Researcher, School of Law,
    Trinity College Dublin, on 18th October 2011.

"It is the words that are written into the Constitution that matter .
    As far as I am concerned, there is a very serious problem with the
    wording. It is not defined. So [FOR INSTANCE] if you have contract
    cleaners who are employed in cleaning any building that is funded by
    State funds they could be classed 'in a class of persons’ who, in 'the
    public interest' have their pay reduced and because of the wording, it
    is then linked to judges". ENDS

What applies to contract cleaners applies to everyone who is paid out
    of the public purse, i.e. civil servants, carers, nurses, teachers,
    those in receipt of disability payments, child-allowances, dole, state
    pensions etc., etc., and in fact, to “persons generally or persons
    belonging to a particular class” (wording in Referendum on Judges
    Pay).

Dr. Bryan McMahon, Chairman of the Referendum Commission referred to
    wage cuts on Pat Kenny radio programme this morning, Wednesday 26th
    October. (available on RTE webcam).

What is happening here for the first time in Irish Law is that WAGE
    CUTS, “TAXES, LEVIES AND OTHER CHARGES” ARE BEING ENSHRINED IN
    THE CONSTITUTION not just for Judges, but for anyone - for “persons
    generally or persons belonging to a particular class”. (Read the
    wording of Referendum.) It is the words that are written into the
    Constitution that matter. And it is politicians who will have the
    power to define them if this Amendment is passed.

If there is a Right enshrined in the Constitution for governments to
    cut income and impose taxes, levies and other charges on everyone,
    (including judges) then Irish citizens may no longer have a
    constitutional right to strike, to engage in protest marches, work
    stoppages, etc., against the actions of unfair or unjust government
    policies.

Please forward to everyone on your mailing list, and also inform
    family and friends about the hidden trap in the Referendum on Judges
    Pay, and also the hidden traps in the Referendum on Oireachtas
    Inquiries.

DO NOT HAND OVER TOTAL POWER OVER YOUR PERSONAL RIGHTS AND
    TOTAL CONTROL OVER WAGES, TAXES, LEVIES, AND OTHER CHARGES TO
    POLITICIANS.

VOTE NO TO BOTH AMENDMENTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

But you'd be happy to vote in a FF gangster like Gallagher? :confused:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ireland-picks-new-president-field-includes-reality-tv-star-ex-ira-chief-gay-rights-activist/2011/10/27/gIQAp3Y3KM_story.html
    Voters are picking Ireland’s next president Thursday from a crowded field of seven candidates, among them a reality TV star, a former Irish Republican Army warlord and the country’s top gay-rights crusader.
    You have to love the way the Americans describe MMG!
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Is this true ? I thought he'd only "resigned" from the executive.
    Are we talking about Gallagher or MMG? :P

I wonder does McGuinness know Gallaghers fuel smuggling buddy from a previous life? :P

=-=

I voted for Gallagher, Higgins, Mitchell and Norris. They're all a shower of ****, crooks, thieves, and useless twats, but they're better than the ones I didn't vote for. Less of who I want, more of who I don't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

When's the first exit poll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ireland-picks-new-president-field-includes-reality-tv-star-ex-ira-chief-gay-rights-activist/2011/10/27/gIQAp3Y3KM_story.html

You have to love the way the Americans describe MMG!

Are we talking about Gallagher or MMG? :P

I wonder does McGuinness know Gallaghers fuel smuggling buddy from a previous life? :P

=-=

I voted for Gallagher, Higgins, Mitchell and Norris. They're all a shower of ****, crooks, thieves, and useless twats, but they're better than the ones I didn't vote for. Less of who I want, more of who I don't want.

People who reason in this fashion actually scare me. They don't really deserve a vote and the people who died to enable them a vote must be spinning in their graves.

• Advertisement

Who would president mary mcaleese and husband most likely vote for ? just curious.

Advertisement