Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Presidential Election Exit Poll

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Gallagher 1
    Norris 2

Any enemy of the shinners is my friend. Most of what McGuinness put forward on Monday was either a half truth or complete lie. And the "tweet" was complete rubbish aswell. I also thought that woman was a plant in the audience. I did not change my mind on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

darkman2 wrote: »
    Gallagher 1
    Norris 2

Any enemy of the shinners is my friend. Most of what McGuinness put forward on Monday was either a half truth or complete lie. And the "tweet" was complete rubbish aswell. I also thought that woman was a plant in the audience. I did not change my mind on that.

leaving aside what McGuinness said, Gallagher admitted to arranging the whole thing himself... and that after originally denying it. Plus theres the photo of Cowan and yer man(the smuggler)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Gallagher 1
    Norris 2

You are entitled to vote for who you like. I don't agree with you about either McGuinness or the lady on Frontline. She rang the Pat Kenny show to defend herself after Gallagher attacked her independence on that programme - he would have been better advised to take the time to answer her question.

PS: I was just looking at Gallaghers facebook page for entertainment - are you still going with his motto as being true:
    Vote Gallagher for an independent President. :):):):):)

leaving aside what McGuinness said, Gallagher admitted to arranging the whole thing himself... and that after originally denying it. Plus theres the photo of Cowan and yer man(the smuggler)

Gallagher was doing fund raising like all parties have to do. FF was a large party at the time attracting larger donations then other parties. They all fund raise like this regardless of the amounts. He did not do anything illegal.

In my mind if Gallagher does not win it is a defacto vote for a SF ambush and by proxy the SF party. I won't be party to giving them that satisfaction. And I don't believe Gallagher is this horrible man he is made out to be. Rather I think he looked foolish on Monday because he is not a politician. That does not make him bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Makes no difference to some voters I am afraid, they see what SG is/was, and that dodgy part appeals to them or they are in denial, either way not a good person to have in high office, self serving and untrustworthy IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

So you'd vote for the fianna failure - brown envelope totting - reality tv star instead? Glad you're not here so :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 sara_q

1. MDH
    2. Dana
    3. Norris
    4. Mitchell
    5. Davis
    6. McGuiness
    7. Only cos I had to

Yes
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

1. Martin McGuinness
    2. Michael D. Higgins

yes to judges pay
    no to oireachtas super powers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Yes he is a member but won't admit it as it would effect his chances of being elected. He has appeared at many F.F. functions all over the country over the last year. He is a liar and has been caught out.
    If you want to vote for liars then go ahead but remember who caused the problems in our country when you or some of your family or friends have to emigrate.
    The unused voting cards lying on the mantlepieces, tables and window-sills of Ireland are testament to why we should ensure people like Gallagher should never attain high office. They caused the emigration of the people whose names are on those voting cards.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) the office of president has no real power to directly affect the above, and are you sure Gallagher is still a paid up member of FF? i haven't seen anything throughout the campaign that says he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

1. Michael D Higgins.
    2.Martin McGuiness.
    3.David Norris.
    4.Gay Mitchell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Originally Posted by Permabear
    I can't vote because I'm not in the country. If I could, I would vote strategically for Gallagher so as to keep the lefty social justice (MDH) and hard-left terrorist (MMG) elements away from the presidency.
    Originally Posted by blue_steel
    So you'd vote for the fianna failure - brown envelope totting - reality tv star instead? Glad you're not here so

I am sure all the thousands of others abroad would like to vote as well to thank SG FF for their jobs abroad....not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Im not convinced S Gallaghers vote has collapsed by this much, however it would be great if it has, a very retrograde step for the country voting FF into any position for many years.
    If it comes down to transfers Michael D should be ok as I dont believe either a Fine Gael or shinnorist vote will go to FF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Gallagher was doing fund raising like all parties have to do. FF was a large party at the time attracting larger donations then other parties. They all fund raise like this regardless of the amounts. He did not do anything illegal.

In my mind if Gallagher does not win it is a defacto vote for a SF ambush and by proxy the SF party. I won't be party to giving them that satisfaction. And I don't believe Gallagher is this horrible man he is made out to be. Rather I think he looked foolish on Monday because he is not a politician. That does not make him bad.

No but being a liar does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

The differance being other polititical parties dont decide govt regulation (or lack of ) depending on how much you give them in an envelope or tent

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

1. Higgins
    2. McGuiness
    3. Norris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

1: Michael D. Higgins
    2: Martin McGuinness
    3: David Norris

Yes to judges pay
    No to oireachtas powers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

1. Martin McGuiness
    2. Michael D Higgins
    3. David Norris

That would be my vote if I was allowed to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Im not convinced S Gallaghers vote has collapsed by this much, however it would be great if it has, a very retrograde step for the country voting FF into any position for many years.
    If it comes down to transfers Michael D should be ok as I dont believe either a Fine Gael or shinnorist vote will go to FF

I have a feeling McGuinness will surpass Gallagher

That's all fair enough if SG was honest from the start that he's a FF man, doing his FF thing. He tried to pretend otherwise and got caught out and in fact lied about it.

The dodgy business dealings/misuse of state grants are far more serious IMO.

SF couldn't have laid any traps if the facts werent true... Gallagher laidthe trap himself by pretending notto be FF.

If for instance someone called out MDH for raising funds then he could just shrug his shoulders and say, 'sure i'm labour, it's part of the job'... the fact Gallagher tried to come across as something he wasn't(independent) is what caused this storm to happen.. not something McGuinness raised

Ant btw.. trying to portray the smuggler guy as a Sinn Fein stuge is rich considering he was a long time FF contributor up until recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

yuppies wrote: »
    I plead with everyone who hasn't yet voted to give David Norris their first preference and win me a tonne of money :D

May I 2nd this excellent post :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I think this exit poll is going to be pretty accurate.. Especially with the order the of the first 3. I do think David Norris probably wont poll as high as he is here.

Someone got a picture of the ballot paper for posterity.

ZIye3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZIye3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I think MDH will win on transfers from MMG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I think this exit poll is going to be pretty accurate.. Especially with the order the of the first 3. I do think David Norris probably wont poll as high as he is here.

Why would you say that ? and if true then how can we trust the rest of the poll, just asking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kilkenny31 wrote: »

Norris is second here. The top 3 will be the same yet Norris won't poll as high meaning that MMcG would probably over take him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I put a bet on at 66/1 that Higgins would get the most first preferences followed by Norris; anybody think this might happen?
    66/1!!!!!!

Well there's certainly a greater chance than those odds suggest. Which bookie? Damn, prob too late now. And i dont do the visa thing - not that i dont trust them or anything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

ArtSmart wrote: »
    66/1!!!!!!

Well there's certainly a greater chance than those odds suggest. Which bookie? Damn, prob too late now. And i dont do the visa thing - not that i dont trust them or anything...

It was on paddypower.com yesterday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

1. David Norris
    2. Michael D
    3. McGuinness

That is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

1. Gallagher
    2. Higgins
    3. Norris
    4. Mitchell

That is all.

• Advertisement

Someone got a picture of the ballot paper for posterity.

ZIye3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZIye3.jpg
    This must be preserved for posterity and general divilment. Mega Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have none of the media outlets done a full exit poll? Thought it would've been out on the stroke of 10 o'clock.

I plead with everyone who hasn't yet voted to give David Norris their first preference and win me a tonne of money :D

Yuppies will you be getting paid via a brown envelope?;)

There is definitely a bias towards the socially liberal and towards the left on boards when compared to the general voting public... there are probably more Urban & younger people on here than the national picture..

It would have been interesting to put the last GE results constituency by constituency beside the results of that mega-poll that was conducted on here and graph the differences.

Pretty sure SF polled better on here than real life & conversely FF did better in the actual election than signalled on here. about a 5% swing for each IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

amacachi wrote: »
    Have none of the media outlets done a full exit poll? Thought it would've been out on the stroke of 10 o'clock.

Yeah was expecting the same. Does anyone know?

I imagine Vinny will , and prob Prime time at 10:35. Rte one are talking bout it, but didnt hear an exit poll yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

1. McGuinness
    2. Higgins

Never voted SF before, vote was based on:

1. Would like to see the bagman come third or fourth rather than a respectable second.
    2. Reward the provos for kneecapping a scumbag that deserved it
    3. Strengthen SF's vote so that FF become an irrelevant 4th biggest party in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thought there'd at least be one available online. Useless fcuking media.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    I imagine Vinny will , and prob Prime time at 10:35. Rte one are talking bout it, but didnt hear an exit poll yet

What are you trying to do to me? ;) Turned on RTE 1 and came face to face with Bertie - I could NOT be listening to his b/s

stopped listening to rte radio 1, sounds like they brought in the panel from the local pub. dreadful

paul brady on lyric

Thought there'd at least be one available online. Useless fcuking media.

These exit polls are apparently very expensive.it seems RTE did not hold one.
    we will just have to wait for the tallymen and the actual counted result.:)

• Advertisement

Ironé wrote: »
    What are you trying to do to me? ;) Turned on RTE 1 and came face to face with Bertie - I could NOT be listening to his b/s
    LOL! Now that was no fun. Ouch. No, i meant radio, but it's utter crap. prime time on telly at 10:35 far as i know

opps. was looking at the rte+1 - it was on at 9:35. Guess it's all down to the Vin man.

50% turnout according to breakingnews - disgraceful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

Isn't that better than last time.

Naas had a low turn out as of 7.30. Not sure how to read this a couple of years ago it was strongly FF but that may have been because there was a minister in this constituency, Stagg has usually polled well here too.

Oh and on the subject of the thread I gave MDH my number 1 followed by Norris, Mitchell (whose politics I seldom agree with but he always seems to be a genuinely decent individual), Davies and Dana.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is definitely a bias towards the socially liberal and towards the left on boards when compared to the general voting public... there are probably more Urban & younger people on here than the national picture..

The Galway West Boards Poll grossly underreported the FF vote and the Rural Vote and only one of the 5 elected TDs on Boards was actually elected.

http://www.boards.ie/vote/pr-calc.php?c_id=24

I still think Higgins will top the poll but not by anywhere like the gap shown above. I reckon Higgins Norris Gallagher and McGuinness will be in the 20-30% range and Mitchell over 10% with the other two nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I listened to the first half.... the poor guy has been badly treated by some of us ungratefull ...........

Did you know he is not and never was a member of ff..... he only worked for the good of the country.... when he signed the blank cheques for charlie he never asked what they were for..... need i go on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Well if they didn't hold the election on a Thursday and at a weekend there might be a better turnout. Much of the blame lies with FG and LAb for making polling inconvenient for voters. All the more sickening when Kenny signed a motion during the last Dail calling for elections to only be allowed on a Friday or Saturday. Hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

Just read on politics.ie no RTE exit poll according to Bryan Dobson

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Radioheader

PP have MDH at 1/5, SG at 3/1 and MMG at 22/1. Where is my bloody exit poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Nitochris wrote: »
    Just read on politics.ie no RTE exit poll according to Bryan Dobson

they said that yesterday i think

• Advertisement
Advertisement