Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Presidential Election Exit Poll

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

they said that yesterday i think

Yes but Bryan Dobson has been responding to internet rumors - not sure if he had specifically read that other forum but there people were suggesting that there would be an exit poll on Prime Time. Some have been suggesting that given the nature of this race with several candidates having mud flung at them there needed to be one to give people an idea of the end of the campaign.
    And tbh I had forgotten about the announcement yesterday, thesis related pressures can distract me.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Looking at politics.ie and people claiming that redc did an exit poll. Waiting for VB to come on and see if he has anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

so who is going to win?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

so who is going to win?

Dana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭hangon

Ironé wrote: »
    50% turnout according to breakingnews - disgraceful!

Sinn Fein almost always maximise their vote by getting their voters out.
    if the turnout is low it will help them.
    now it is just a waiting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

so who is going to win?

Michael D. will win comfortably, I think.

I voted:

1. David Norris
    2. Martin McGuinness
    3. Michael D. Higgins
    4. Mary Davis

Yes to both referenda.

Voting seems to have been very slow in my area of Waterford city. The place was empty when I got there at 6 o'clock and the woman at the desk said it had been slow enough all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Was contacted tonight at 8 p.m. by Rec C to see how i voted. It was only a week ago that i asked the question if anyone was ever contacted by Red C and if they existed at all.
    I can now confirm that they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I voted:

1. David Norris
    2. Martin McGuinness
    3. Michael D. Higgins
    4. Mary Davis

Yes to both referenda.

Voting seems to have been very slow in my area of Waterford city. The place was empty when I got there at 6 o'clock and the woman at the desk said it had been slow enough all day.

To be honest, from all of the stupofilloguesso I hope he does, I think he will be given a helium tax, but I dont mind.

I think he will be given a helium tax, but I dont mind.

:D yes he did become quite hysterical at times.
    i feel sorry for him as he had an image of a really likeable loveable eccentric scholar,i hope all of that will be remembered about him rather than the 'dirt' brought up over the election.
    honestly i am sorry he ran but only because his genuine deserved high place in Irish history may have been destroyed by the campaign.
    i do not believe the man ever intended to hurt anybody EVER in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

the "envelope" finished gallagher chances , Michael D all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 6 trevor21

He has said he wil published all his accounts, unlike Mitchell/ the route of all that is evil who said his income was a private matter. I think the public has been conned by a well designed SF plan to get over 20%. Well done to them, game well played or should I say game well played on people of Ireland.

Nice first post, welcome Seany.
    Thanks

BERBA wrote: »
    the "envelope" finished Gallagher all the way to the bank

fyp!;):D

MidlandsM wrote: »
    what about his dodgy company accounts? Does that mean nothing?
    trevor21

Adverts | Friends
    He has said he wil published all his accounts, unlike Mitchell/ the route of all that is evil who said his income was a private matter. I think the public has been conned by a well designed SF plan to get over 20%. Well done to them, game well played or should I say game well played on people of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

trevor21 wrote: »
    trevor21

Adverts | Friends

hopefully the people of ireland realised in the nick of time thanks to SF and voted accordingly;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Gallagher's vote has collapsed and that MDH will be our new President.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just got a phone call and Preliminary Poll In

Higgins 27%
    Gallagher 32%
    McGuinness 20%

That Is All :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Apparently Tom McGurk has early unconfirmed exit poll results

http://twitter.com/#!/TomMcGurk
    Exit Poll unconfirmed: SG32, MDH27, MMG 20, GM 11, DN 6, Dana 2, MD 2
    Not sure where he's getting these from??

I did suspect Mitchell may poll better than Norris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just got a phone call and Preliminary Poll In

Higgins 37%
    Gallagher 32%
    McGuinness 20%

That Is All :)

Riiight.. so 3 candidates have secured 89% of the vote?,, lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Sean Gallagher is winning the exit poll? What the...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Apparently Tom McGurk has early unconfirmed exit poll results

http://twitter.com/#!/TomMcGurk

Not sure where he's getting these from??

I did suspect Mitchell may poll better than Norris.

I think that poll can be discounted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Riiight.. so 3 candidates have secured 89% of the vote?,, lol!

Sorry higgins 27% my bad :rolleyes: oh and yeah the rest are not worthy of adding in as its so low :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

trevor21

Adverts | Friends

The public have been warned/brainwashed enough times by every single media outlet when it comes to Sinn Fein... do you not think they already screen everything that comes from them.

What happened to gallagher came from his own mouth which it why it hit him so hard.

The Fianna Fail PR machine knew the only way to minimise it was to instantly turn the focus on Sinn Fein.. which is why the next mornings papers were littered with loaded words like 'ambush', 'targeted', 'dirty tricks', 'assasination'..

Instead of questioning the shinners over something that came from Gallaghers own mouth, i would suggest the public take a closer look at the tactics the whole establishment use almost all of the time in the other direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Montjeu

I think Gallagher's vote has collapsed and that MDH will be our new President.

I don't think his vote will totally collapse as we hope. The Irish electorate aren't the brightest bunch when it comes to such issues.

I think the reality is that Higgins will be around 4 - 6% down after the first count, which will probably be enough for him to take it after transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Yes to both referenda.

Can't see that happening tbh.From what i have seen both will be no(and i am not just talking about the opinion here on Boards.ie,respected as it is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Sorry higgins 27% my bad :rolleyes:

ha.. no problem.

Still, 79% going to 3 candidates seems highly unlikely to me. It'll be a lot closer than that for the candidates placing in 3rd, 4th & 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

bleg wrote: »
    I think that poll can be discounted.
    Hmm, I suspected so. Although its not far off what I predicted - especially Mitchell to outpoll Norris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

If that McGuirk poll is correct then MDH should catch up easily enough, FF will be delighted with Gallagher winning the first prefs & the shinners will also be over the moon to poll above the teens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

ha.. no problem.

Still, 79% going to 3 candidates seems highly unlikely to me. It'll be a lot closer than that for the candidates placing in 3rd, 4th & 5th.
    Well Dana and Mary D do seem to be the Wigan and Bolton of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aons

I voted Martin McGuiness but am pleased for Michael D. Sean Gallaghers campaign came to be characterised by the same sort of sleaze associated with his party (and FF he is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

1.SG
    2.NORRIS
    3 DANA
    YES
    NO

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Permabear
    I can't vote because I'm not in the country. If I could, I would vote strategically for Gallagher so as to keep the lefty social justice (MDH) and hard-left terrorist (MMG) elements away from the presidency.
    Originally Posted by blue_steel
    So you'd vote for the fianna failure - brown envelope totting - reality tv star instead? Glad you're not here so

I am sure all the thousands of others abroad would like to vote as well to thank SG FF for their jobs abroad....not.

What way did you vote?
    From 1 to 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

so who is going to win?

I voted:

1. David Norris
    2. Martin McGuinness
    3. Michael D. Higgins
    4. Mary Davis

Yes to both referenda.

Why did you vote for David Norris?
    I don't believe he should be allowed continue as a Senator, let alone a President!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

If that exit poll is right.....SG in the lead......there are no words.

I ask again; Are the electorate masochists?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Colours

I voted:

1 MDH
    2 DN
    3 GM
    4 MMcG
    5 MD
    6 D
    7 SG

Yes to both Referenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wider Road wrote: »
    Why did you vote for David Norris?
    I don't believe he should be allowed continue as a Senator, let alone a President!!!!!

Judging by this thread, I'm certainly not alone in voting for Norris!

I think he has been a fine senator and would make a fine President too. That's the beauty of democracy though - if you disagree, you can vote for whoever else you think would make a better one.

Even though I would love to see Norris win tomorrow, I think Michael D. Higgins will become the next Irish President and that's ok with me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭brownswiss

1.SG
    2.NORRIS
    3 DANA
    YES
    NO

no surprise there from reading your posts... bet u were kissing the tv when bertie was on tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭brownswiss

Montjeu wrote: »
    I don't think his vote will totally collapse as we hope. The Irish electorate aren't the brightest bunch when it comes to such issues.

I think the reality is that Higgins will be around 4 - 6% down after the first count, which will probably be enough for him to take it after transfers.

You are correct about us not being the brightest... i have thought that for a long time about the fianna fail grassroots........what is it with the blind loyalty and desire for power at any cost... and even from those who are suffering the consequences of fianna fail lack of leadership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

Why anyone would vote for Gallagher is beyond me. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That supposed exit poll is doing the rounds, it's not real. Regardless, there will be quite different votes in different parts of the country imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

1. McGuinness.
    2. Michael D.

As a hardened right-winger, it felt bizarre to give my preferences to the looney left but there you go. As long as that FF scumbag is kept away from the office, I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

As a hardened right-winger, it felt bizarre to give my preferences to the looney left but there you go.

Welcome to the Dark Side :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

P.S Michael D is to old and small for this job people.

I abhor personal abuse, but, on this occasion and this being the internet and you having an anonymous username, may I just say to you, Trevor:

What a low-lifer you are.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

so put the right wing destructive element back in power-second highest unemployment rate in EU, Bank bailout, NAMA-his party (until last year only where he was up the backside of leading figures of FF) deserve a second chance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

1. McGuinness
    2. Higgins

Please god that keeps the bagman out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

1. McGuinness
    2. Michael D
    3. Norris
    4. Mithael
    5. Dana
    6. Yer won
    7. Bertie

brownswiss wrote: »

no surprise there from reading your posts... bet u were kissing the tv when bertie was on tonight

are you sure you wherent kissing the screen when bertie was on ,as you seem to have seen it and i didn't lad

1. McGuinness.
    2. Michael D.

As a hardened right-winger, it felt bizarre to give my preferences to the looney left but there you go. As long as that FF scumbag is kept away from the office, I'm happy.

and sf liars and terrorist too like mmg,all in ireland are happy :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

1) McGuinness
    2) Higgins
    3) Norris
    4) Davis

The other three weren't worth the ink in the pen at the polling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

and sf liars and terrorist too like mmg,all in ireland are happy :D:D

So you are not defending Mr. Gallagher then?! I'm not surprised. No one who openly admits to voting for Fianna Fáil can criticise anyone else for being dishonest (see Haughey, Ahern, Cowen, Martin etc). :)

Good to see Higgins starting brightly. It will be interesting to see how transfers work out.

I'm similarly delighted that, as someone who voted #1 FG in the general election, Gay Mitchel is coming in way down the poll. He was an awful choice as a candidate, striking me as the sort of old-school, FG conservative that this generation just cannot relate to. FG could have held the office of Taoiseach and President simultaneously for the first time ever, but the party just didn't seem to have the courage of their convictions to do so. They put in someone who did not speak of policy or ideology, but rather of why the other candidate's ideologies (mainly MMcG!) were bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement