Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got me a bulldog..

• 27-10-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Been toying with the idea of a puppy, as its probably one of only 2 or 3 breeds I would want, an English bulldog, but we have older kids and despite the puppies being soo cute we have decided to go for a retired female, she is 5.
    I am going to switch the food that the breeders give her and try to source the best food for that breed for optimum health and condition - but dont want to ask the vet as i know that they endorse a brand for profit.
    Can any bulldog experts/owners advise a good food that suits that breed - do they need extra protein or anything, or just regular good dried food like red mills.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What food did the breeder have it on? Is there a reason you want to change it? How old is the puppy?

I wouldnt call Red Mills that good to be honest...

Aaahh just realised its not a puppy, silly me!!

Can i ask why a breeder was selling their 5 year old dog??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Couldn't agree more with andreac. If you're looking for top quality, you'll have to look farther than Red Mills. I know Royal Canin do some breed specific diets, I'd imagine their website would tell you if they do Bulldog specific food.
    While Red Mills is fine for some dogs, if there are any digestive or skin issues with your particular dog, I'd be looking for something else.
    I'd also strongly urge you to get pet insurance, as bulldogs (and any breed, TBH) can have a number of health problems. Since your dog is older, if she's been sick before, some stuff may be excluded, so worth having a look through her health history, but I'd still guess it's money well spent, and most companies will start insurance so long as the dog is under 8 years of age (some companies vary though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

BengaLover wrote: »
    Been toying with the idea of a puppy, as its probably one of only 2 or 3 breeds I would want, an English bulldog, but we have older kids and despite the puppies being soo cute we have decided to go for a retired female, she is 5.
    I am going to switch the food that the breeders give her and try to source the best food for that breed for optimum health and condition - but dont want to ask the vet as i know that they endorse a brand for profit.
    Can any bulldog experts/owners advise a good food that suits that breed - do they need extra protein or anything, or just regular good dried food like red mills.

well done bengalover u got yourself a lovely dog:).
    i find with my lady all she wants is sleep and 1 good meal a day.
    once she has plenty water too.
    as for the food im on the small nuts for her she finds it easyier to eat
    and once its any of the good brands shes happy,but she does like some, not a lot of canned meat true it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sorry and hopefully i'm way off but i have puppy farm alarm bells here - you're getting a 'retired' 5 year old dog from a breeder?! What is she retired from and why are they rehoming/selling her?! If eg she's being retired from breeding puppies for the last 5 years surely she would have been on a puppy/welping feed a lot of the time so her past is relevant. What food is she on now? From reading posts here there's different kinds of red mills - i think Leader is the best quality one but there's better foods out there. If you give an idea of your budget it'll be easier for everyone to suggest different food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

RC do a bulldog food, it was recommended to me at the pet expo for my staffie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

The breeder is <MOD SNIP> and believe me after speaking to her on the phone a few times, you wont get a more dedicated breeder, she is absolutely and utterly passionate about her dogs, and this girl who we will be collecting on friday has only been retired since her last litter 4 months ago. All her dogs are house dogs, and she wont sell pups to just anyone either.. so im really happy about her background.
    My cats hated Red Mills, but ill deffo try her on it anyway.
    My cats are insured with pet insure but after a claim last year i didnt like their customer service so may switch em all to Allianz.
    The dog is called Daphne <SNIP> other pics the breeder sent me show her in lovely shape.

She has never had cherry eye, but does anyone know could she get it in the future, or is it a birth defect or what..THAANKS!

The breeder is <MOD SNIP> and believe me after speaking to her on the phone a few times, you wont get a more dedicated breeder, she is absolutely and utterly passionate about her dogs, and this girl who we will be collecting on friday has only been retired since her last litter 4 months ago. All her dogs are house dogs, and she wont sell pups to just anyone either.. so im really happy about her background.
    My cats hated Red Mills, but ill deffo try her on it anyway.
    My cats are insured with pet insure but after a claim last year i didnt like their customer service so may switch em all to Allianz.
    The dog is called Daphne, <SNIP> other pics the breeder sent me show her in lovely shape.

She has never had cherry eye, but does anyone know could she get it in the future, or is it a birth defect or what..THAANKS!

I know all about her!!

Dedicated my arse!! :mad: Selling off her bitch who had a litter 4 months ago?? If shes so passionate, why is she selling her beloved dogs??

Shes so dedicated that she had her bitches for sale on a website who were actually in pup!! There was war with the IKC and her over this, its a disgrace!!
    Ill hold my tongue on this one...:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Best of luck with your new dog OP. I hope you've many happy years ahead of you.

Must say though, any breeder who I know or would recommend wouldn't sell a dog 4 months after a litter. Sure their body is still recovering. I wouldn't like to say your wrong as you've done your research, but I would run a mile as soon as I hear it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I know nothing about bulldog food but their website says they have excellence in health so they must be feeding good food? no reason to switch if the dog is in excellent health.
    how does she keep all those bulldogs, shar-peis and great danes inside her house...must be huge!
    best of luck

The breeder is <MOD SNIP>and believe me after speaking to her on the phone a few times, you wont get a more dedicated breeder, she is absolutely and utterly passionate about her dogs, and this girl who we will be collecting on friday has only been retired since her last litter 4 months ago. All her dogs are house dogs, and she wont sell pups to just anyone either.. so im really happy about her background.

Why is she selling her dog? To me the only reason is she cant get anymore litters from her, has made her money and now will replace her with a new young dog that can churn out pups for a few years and will then be for sale as well and the cycle continues. Backyard breeder at best IMO. If it were me I would run a mile. Plenty of dogs in rescue that you could get.

• Advertisement

If you look at her website you will see that she is no backyard breeder. She also shows her dogs. She will NOT sell a puppy to anyone she hasnt met first and sells all her dogs with a money back garuantee that they can bring back the animal to her at any time if there are any problems, in fact you have to sign a contract to say so, so that comment is uncalled for.
    Why shouldnt she sell a retired bitch? If she needs more time to concentrate on nurturing other dogs and doing shows then she is happy to retire a dog to a loving home.

Edited to add, I want to switch food to whats available in my area, I cant get her food here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

If you look at her website you will see that she is no backyard breeder. She also shows her dogs. She will NOT sell a puppy to anyone she hasnt met first and sells all her dogs with a money back garuantee that they can bring back the animal to her at any time if there are any problems, in fact you have to sign a contract to say so, so that comment is uncalled for.
    Why shouldnt she sell a retired bitch? If she needs more time to concentrate on nurturing other dogs and doing shows then she is happy to retire a dog to a loving home.

Edited to add, I want to switch food to whats available in my area, I cant get her food here.
    did you not watch the programme on tv3 the other nite about puppy farms???????

andreac wrote: »
    I know all about her!!

Dedicated my arse!! :mad: Selling off her bitch who had a litter 4 months ago?? If shes so passionate, why is she selling her beloved dogs??

Shes so dedicated that she had her bitches for sale on donedeal who were actually in pup!! There was war with the IKC and her over this, its a disgrace!!
    Ill hold my tongue on this one...:mad::mad:

I dont know anything about IKC rules about selling dogs in pup, but I do know that the pups she has had on DD for some time could have been sold over and over but not to good homes, surely its a sign of a good breeder that they put the dog first over just getting cash for them?

I said it was in my opinion and I am entitled to that. If she was a good breeder she would not sell her dog once she is done making money off her. She obviously doesn't want to pay money to keep the dog until old age as she will no longer be making money off her.

I dont know anything about IKC rules about selling dogs in pup, but I do know that the pups she has had on DD for some time could have been sold over and over but not to good homes, surely its a sign of a good breeder that they put the dog first over just getting cash for them?
    any good breeder would not be advertising on dd. they would have a waiting list. has she met you?

did you not watch the programme on tv3 the other nite about puppy farms???????

What puppy farms have you heard of that have award winning dogs and show them?

any good breeder would not be advertising on dd. they would have a waiting list. has she met you?

No, she wants us as a family to come and visit first.

Believe what you want, websites always look great. Im telling you now i wouldnt touch this lady with a barge pole and i know A LOT of people in the know about this lady.
    She was advertising her bitches that were actually in pup on a website and you dont think theres a problem with that??:confused:
    The president of the IKC actually got involved so im just giving you warning.

People are well able to talk the talk, trust me.

Look believe what you want, but i know for a fact that i wouldnt buy a dog off her.

Why dont you ask her why she had her bitches for sale that were in pup and she what she has to say??

No good, reputable breeder would sell their dogs like this and then sell on their bitches that they cant be bothered to keep as their pets. If they were as good a breeder as they say, then they wouldnt sell off their old dogs like this, its a disgrace!!!

didnt say she was a puppy farmer. but anyone that sells a "familydog" just because she has had her quoter of pups aint no better in my opinion

I know several...

You seem very gullible OP, and im sorry but you really need to open your eyes and see this for what it is, and it certainly isnt a reputable breeder who loves her dogs...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No, she wants us as a family to come and visit first.
    if that is so, why are you jumping the gun looking to put dog on different food. i guarantee you will come home with that dog. just out of interest is she selling the dog or just looking for a good home

Maybe I will give the IKC a call then, would they be able to tell me anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

TillyGirl wrote: »
    . She obviously doesn't want to pay money to keep the dog until old age as she will no longer be making money off her.

Then she's only after the money and DOES NOTLOVE her dogs. a dog is for life not just an appliance to get rid off or like shares that we trade/sell when no longer "profitable"

Maybe I will give the IKC a call then, would they be able to tell me anything?
    not sure, a mate ofmine rang them about a dog that she found. long story cant go through it here. she found them very unhelpful. no harm in giving them a call though. saying that andreac on here usually knows her stuff

Andrea maybe u could pm me plz.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

just to get back to the food the best thing I would think is to ask what she is on as in the total breakdown of the food and then try to get similar. red mill is not the greatest food and if you do get her you dont want to end up with problems in your first few months with her.
    you should not change her all of a shot either so get the breeder to give you a supply that you can wean her over.

I do agree witht he others above too. I could never give away/sell my dog unless I was homeless and it was best for them.
    Is she selling this dog too? or is it proper retirement, if she is selling is she just trying to extract as much money as poss out of the poor dog instead of wanting her beloved pet to get a nice retirement home?

Its retirement with a small fee to cover her spaying, which sounded great to me, because when I bought my pedigree Bengals, the breeder doesnt let them go without them being spayed/neutered. Anyhow I started this thread to ask about food not to start a heated debate so im going to get some help from Andrea if she contacts me, and do some more checking.

Its retirement with a small fee to cover her spaying, which sounded great to me, because when I bought my pedigree Bengals, the breeder doesnt let them go without them being spayed/neutered. Anyhow I started this thread to ask about food not to start a heated debate so im going to get some help from Andrea if she contacts me, and do some more checking.

in all fairness we were only trying to help you see that this dog might not be what you think it is and might not of came from the best possible place.
    why is she charging a price for spaying, again this rings alarm bells. any good owner would get this done anyway to protect her dog.
    anyways we have gave you some info up to you what you do with it. me, i would run a mile. onlymaking room for another poor dog to be used as a potential breeding machine

If Im not happy with the dogs behaviour and surroundings then there is no way I would come home with it anyway. Ive been looking for 6 months, and honestly seen some awful things on DD that have made me stay away from sellers, but Im not part of the doggy circle and dont know much about rules and regs of breeding so forgive my ignorance, however, I AM taking whats said here on board, and getting more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP I'm sitting beside my 2 year old retriever who had to have his leg surgically straightened on Tuesday (the other one was done last year) because of a crappy breeder who was just out to make money - not all back yard breeders have sheds full of puppies like you see on tv etc. They may have them in the house etc etc which is what fools a lot of people - it definitely fooled me anyways. Lots of people on here have first hand experience which is why everyone is so passionate about it - if I came off as telling you off or anything like that I apologize. I would walk away from this breeder and look at rescues - there was a beautiful bulldog at Pet Expo that a rescue had for rehoming. I don't think we're allowed name rescues but PM if you want any info.

ANYHOOs...
    My - well my dog's :) - food experiences :
    RC - runny poos every few weeks
    Burns - nice nugget poos but his coat was always dull (he's a retriever)
    Luath/Robbies cereal based - same poos as Burns and lovely shiny coat but it just stopped agreeing with him after 9 months on it and he seemed to develop an intolerance to rice
    Happy Dog Supreme (It's german from zooplus) - I tried both grain free (Africa) and rice free (Ireland) - nice poos and no problems BUT the ceral free one was €65 for 12kgs so I'm switching to JWB cereal free as it's more affordable and the cereal free definitely agrees with him best.

The key with any food is to make the change SLOWLY over a couple of weeks to a month - so a handful this week, then 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 - if you do it too quickly the dog could get an upset tummy which could mean a trip to the vets if it gets bad. ALSO don't go and buy a big bag to save money no matter how tempted you are until you know it agrees with the dog.

Advertisement