Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Insurnace Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

kceire wrote: »
    Home Insurance - not really a runner with policy excess and premium increases for NCB loss.

www.gadgetinsurance.ie - €79.99 per year

eMobile - company they pass you onto - €9.99 per month.

Any advice or recommendations?

I have been with phonecover from O2 and never had any problems. I have made 3 claims over the past 5 years and there has never been an issue. You just pay the excess and that's it. They don't try any loopholes or small print when you make a claim.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have been with phonecover from O2 and never had any problems. I have made 3 claims over the past 5 years and there has never been an issue. You just pay the excess and that's it. They don't try any loopholes or small print when you make a claim.

thanks, do you need to be an O2 customer to use them? Edit, yes, they only cover O2 customers.

heres the crowd that eMobile recommend - http://www.cpp.co.uk/phonesafe/benefits/

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I'll be getting the 4s tomorrow with vodafone and wondering who they use for insuring the iphones?

Are they worth the 9.99 per month??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Also looking for reports on Threes insurance providers?

Have no complaints about O2s cover bar the price 13pm

I'll be getting the 4s tomorrow with vodafone and wondering who they use for insuring the iphones?

Are they worth the 9.99 per month??

i ended up going with CPP.
    9.99 per month but its unlimited cover at home and abroad. covers theft, liquid damage, malicious damage, loss.

Its for the GF, so shes happy with it and it covers her for when she drops it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Anyone with Permanent TSB for their banking could have a look at their Plus Package. Just saw it linked on another link on boards yesterday.
    Its a tenner a month but gives you insurance for 2 gadgets, plus extras like repairs for household appliances, travel insurance, airport lounge access etc all for the €10. Worth checking out anyway.
    I had a quick look at it last night and seems to include loss, water damage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Interesting article:
    CONSUMERS have been warned that mobile phone insurance is generally a "waste of money".

People have been rushing to take out insurance on their mobiles after a spate of thefts of smartphones.

But an investigation by the Irish Independent has revealed that the insurance premiums cost up to €165 a year, while insurance contracts are laden with exceptions, excesses, limitations and strict terms.

Chief executive of the Consumers' Association Dermott Jewell said that in most cases the insurance offered poor value for money.

"The number of exclusions, matched with the excess charges, make this a complete waste of money for many," he said.

All the main mobile phone operators offer insurance, with premiums being added to monthly bills. Other providers include phone seller Carphone Warehouse and Blue Insurance.

Carphone Warehouse said it was processing 380 claims a week.

The snatching of smartphones by thieves on push bikes has become the fastest-growing crime in the State, with a spate of thefts in Dublin city in particular recently.

Extra gardai have been deployed to thwart the thieves, who are zeroing in on iPhones. The iPhone 4 retails for €599.

A probe of mobile phone insurance policies found annual premiums of between €84 and €165 a year. The investigation also found:

In many cases you cannot claim for the first €75 of your loss.

Most insurers stop you making a claim for 60 days after taking out the insurance.

Insurers won't pay out if the phone is left unattended.

And limits are placed on the value of handsets that are covered on policies.

Many insurance providers also have a cap on the number of smartphone replacements they will make in 12 months. O2 and Vodafone allow only two claims a year.

O2 charges €156 a year to cover an iPhone. The first €65 of any claim is not covered.

This means that someone who pays a premium for a year and has to make a claim on an 02 policy for a €500 phone will be out of pocket for half the replacement cost of the handset.

Carphone Warehouse, which has some of the highest premiums on the market with some as high as €165 a year, insisted it had the most comprehensive offering on the market. Its policy covers the cost of calls made on the phone if it is stolen.

Smashed

Irish firm Blue Insurance has launched GadgetInsurance.ie, which sells cover for smartphones and electronic devices such as satnavs, media players, laptops and digital cameras.

For an annual price of €139 (just under €11.60 a month) GadgetInsurance.ie offers cover of €1,000 for up to five selected gadgets.

There is a €79 a year offering that provides protection up to €500.

Telecoms consultant Damien Mulley said mobile phone insurance was expensive but huge numbers of people were left with smashed screens on their smartphones after accidents.

He suggested as an alternative that people register with YouGetItBack.com, which offers a service that locks a phone if it is lost or stolen and helps locate it for fees from €1.99 a month.

A recent survey by the National Consumer Agency found that five of the nine home insurance companies in the market refused to provide cover for the loss of laptops and smart phones.

Source.

^^^^^^

agree, people really need to read the T&C's before taking the policy out.
    Reason i went with CPP is the excess is on €50 on any claim unless you make 2 within the space of 6 months, it then jumps to 100e.

Advertisement