Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separation Anxiety

• 27-10-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good website that give useful information about this?

The person involved is doing all the recommended practices, like exercising beforehand, leaving kongs out, radio on but the dog is still chewing whatever she can get her hands on, particularly the leather sofa :eek:

None of our dogs ever displayed this so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to recommend apart from the general advice given.

Might something like a crate help in this situation? Obviously, I don't mean bung her in a crate when they go out but more of a gradual introduction of a crate until she sees it as a comfy den and somewhere she is happy to stay in when alone. She is never alone for more than 4 hours at a time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def try crate training, its brilliant, esp for chewers. I recommend all people to crate train their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Def second the crate training, crate trained both of ours, now the older one is perfectly fine when we leave and the younger guy is getting the idea that the radiator pipes are not for dinner! If we're only popping out for a few hours we leave the younger guy in the crate, and we leave him in it at night, he's learned that when he goes in there it's quiet time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

My little one has really bad separation anxiety, I've been working on it for over a year now (not consistently though I must add) The crate has been a big help, Ruby sleeps in a crate at night so it was easier for her use to it during the day. We are just trying to build up the association with the crate and daytime. (she's a slow learner:o)

I also got the DAP defuser, it has helped a some (not as much as the reviews said!!)

I found there is very little out there on separation anxiety, same as your friend I got the usual walks, kongs, de-sensitise the cues but it made no difference at all. On one day Ruby had been walked for 5 hours and still proceeded to howl for 4 hours straight, no break when on her own!!:eek: I think its all trial and error until they find what works for their dog!! Hope it helps some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My cocker suffered terribley from seperation anietity when he was a pup..

I didnt go down the crate training route for a number of reasons... long story short i didnt want a huge cage in my kitchen i just wanted him to have a nice dog bed and i didnt want him to have to be put in his cage in order for him to stop wrecking everything and feel secure etc...I wanted him to feel secure in our home without restriction etc.... so over time he learned not to express himself with destruction and now he's nearly 7 we can leave him hours and he doesent even move from his bed... hes just too lazy now :) but i do know it works for some people...

this helped my guy alot for the first few weeks:

http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm

Regular exercise or a dog walker would help also.... maybe a safety blanket or teddy... my guy has donkey teddy he brings EVERYWHERE with him.... up stairs, sitting room etc.... kongs help... leaving the radio on....

http://www.petcrazy.co.uk/pet-love-chatterbox-donkey-dog-toy-66-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I would second, third and fourth crate training, our second dog who we've had for 8 months now is still suffering a bit from sep anx but she's improved greatly I think it takes time, I don't know your dogs history but ours was abandoned once, found, brought into a new home, couldn't stay due to resident dog attacking her, brought to kennels and then finally came to us so it was understandable and I was expecting it. We mainly had barking, howling and some pooping, a little bit of chewing but nothing major.

I would also recommend your friend keeps her out of the room where the leather sofa is, keep all shoes and chewable items out of the way, I saw a episode of It's Me Or The Dog once and Victoria Stillwell advised to set your dog up for success, not failure, ie if you don't want it chewed then don't leave it somewhere your dog can get it, then you come home and your fave shoe is destroyed, you're pissed off, etc etc, if you know your dog chews shoes, sofa's whatever then move them or keep them out of that room. Of course when it's skirting board and walls it's more difficult (and I had that with our older dog, door frames, skirtings, carpets, believe me I've been there!) but that's when the crate comes in handy!!

Give it time and persevere!! Good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi Vel,
    Are you sure this is separation anxiety, or could it be separation fun?:D

The difference is, with the first, the dog tends to be tremendously worried, anxious, sweaty paws, very relieved to see the owner return, damage often done to the area surrounding the door the owner was last seen leaving. This one is hard to deal with, because it is a really emotional problem.
    With the second, the dog is relaxed, goofy, and was simply having a nice uninterrupted chew on the couch:D. This one's not so difficult to deal with, because dogs generally do it out of boredom.

Whilst the crate is invaluable, a lot of anxious dogs are also claustrophobic and are really scared being cooped up in a crate. So, a good compromise is a puppy playpen, sized according to size of dog, which can contain bed, toys, food and water, even a toileting area if need be. They're not as claustrophobic but still keep furniture protected.
    Here's a link to the separation anxiety page of Dog star Daily: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/separation-anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

We're pretty sure its separation anxiety but I will mention your point DBB. Since she arrived she has always had a little den like area between the two sofas that she has loved so we are hopeful that she will be ok with a crate. WE have also organised for the loan of a DAP diffuser and have received lots of useful advice from a lady who fostered too dogs with severe SA.

She is a long leggy greyhound so I don't think a puppy playpen would contain her:D

Advertisement