Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry skin help please?

• 27-10-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

Not too sure if this is the right place to post/ask, but over the years I have had dry facial skin in the winter, oily skin in the summer. I have just been using Boots Mens moisturiser daily/every second day but it leaves a terrible oily greesy look on my face so stopped using it the past week. But now this morning after my walk into work, kinda cold out, my forehead, nose are so dry looking and my beard is dry too(i'm a dude).

So I am wondering if anyone here could recommend to me what products I should invest for the winter months that doesnt make me look like a greesy mess, and something for the summer too.

Having a beard is a bit difficult as skin gets very dry around my mouth and chin area too after a show in the morning, I dont use anything in it tbh. New to all this skin stuff so would you recommend that I maybe drop into a department store in Dublin and speak to someone to get advice on what to use as they might be better to advice products seeing my face (lol).

Price, of course, is going to be a factor on what I invest in, but any advice is very much appreciated!

Dont know if this is clear at all, so apologise if its not :o

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I have the same problem! (Minus the beard :pac:) I can't remember the name of the lotion I used last winter but it was Nivea and I quite liked it. I'd be afraid of asking someone in a department store because they'll just point out their own products which are probably very expensive and don't work for everyone. Maybe ask for samples? Also, I learned that hot showers zap the moisture in your skin. I'm not sure where I heard that, though. Something like Vaseline works well. I have very chapped lips and I'll put it on at night and they'll improve over a few days... And around my nose where I use tissues a lot.

If it's really, really bad I am sure a dermatologist could recommend/prescribe something.

Moisturisers vary greatly. If the Boots Men's one is the only one you've tried, try a different one. And don't feel you have to stick to stuff that says "men" on it.

I don't know what the Boots moisturiser is like, but moisturisers can be very creamy, very liquid, or anywhere in between. Creamy moisturisers last longer, which is usually seen as a plus, but in your case I'd say you'd benefit from a more liquidy one. Nivea do an oil-free moisturiser, it has SPF in it too. From what I recall it was very light and seemed to suit my oil-prone skin very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Moisturisers vary greatly. If the Boots Men's one is the only one you've tried, try a different one. And don't feel you have to stick to stuff that says "men" on it.

I don't know what the Boots moisturiser is like, but moisturisers can be very creamy, very liquid, or anywhere in between. Creamy moisturisers last longer, which is usually seen as a plus, but in your case I'd say you'd benefit from a more liquidy one. Nivea do an oil-free moisturiser, it has SPF in it too. From what I recall it was very light and seemed to suit my oil-prone skin very well.

You dont by any chance remember the name of that Nivea moisturiser? I used to used Nivea when a friend went through me saying it was terrible stuff and never to use it, that was 2 years ago tho.

Thanks for all the advice guys. yeah kinda aware that if i go in for advice in deparment stores they will push whatever they have been told to push so they can meet their targets, get bonus etc, used to work in shops :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

With skin, your skin type is the same summer or winter...you may have differing skin conditions dependant on enviroment, health, products etc that you use that affect your skin.

You should cleanse with a good cleanser morning and night, tone with something gentle and use a decent moisturiser with spf in it...The cold weather will affect your skin, asides from being out in it, the central heating etc dries it out- this is your skin dehydrating...you need to counteract this by ensuring to drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day..keep hydrated from within.

The best thing you could do is pop into a salon, there are a few mens grooming rooms popping up, and they have therapists in there who provides facials, waxing etc etc to a male clientele. Establising your actual skin type is the easiest way or then knowing what products are best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

As a guy, I naturally wouldn't be into cleansing, toning and what have you, but...

I suspect the nose area is more prone to dry skin if you blow your nose regularly etc. and facial hair areas are also prone to dry skin since the hair tends to retain water after showers or brushing teeth etc. Even if you towel you face after it's been wet, you'll still find that some water get's left behind and this probably dries the skin there out. Bet if you start shaving for a few weeks, you'll find the problem goes away, maybe with some moisturiser initially just to sort out the dry skin that's currently there.

As for moisturisers, I found that Simple and E45 are a waste of time. But interesting that someone mentioned Nivea -> found accidentally some time that Nivea Aftersun worked really well. Only prob is that it's hard to get this time of year! Nivea do some standard moisturisers too but these seem heavily perfumed and not so effective.

• Advertisement

MrThrifty wrote: »
    As for moisturisers, I found that Simple and E45 are a waste of time.
    Agree 100%. Simple face care wrecks my skin (I am sensitive though).
    You dont by any chance remember the name of that Nivea moisturiser? I used to used Nivea when a friend went through me saying it was terrible stuff and never to use it, that was 2 years ago tho.
    It was definitely in the Nivea Young range (my skin is pretty oily but also prone to very dry patches so it suited pretty well). It didn't have much of a fragrance at all and was a sort of square shaped looking at it front on but () shaped looking at it from above. Had a look there on the website and can't see it so maybe they don't do it anymore.

I'm acne prone so maybe it's not suited to you but I can't say enough good things about the La Roche Posay range of skincare. Maybe something there might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

I would highly recommend Eucerin face cream. I spent months with dry skin, trying loads of different moisturisers that didnt make any difference. Within a couple of weeks of using this one my skin is perfect. I used the Replenishing Face Cream 5% Urea. Its only about €10 in Unicare or any boots. Hope it helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

It really sounds like you need a light moisturiser for combination skin, and then another to spot on your face on particularly dry days.

Personally, I have really dry skin and I have found Silcocks Base to be the best intense moisturiser to put onto my face on super dry days. It is very cheap (more pharmacies stock it) and soaks into my skin really well (without leaving the greasy feeling that a lot of moisturisers do (E45 comes to mind)). It's very thick so you only need a little in the places that are dry - that is, don't slather it all over your face just on cheeks, forehead and anywhere else that get particularly day. It also doesn't have a smell so as a bloke, you won't get the "face cream" smell (one of the only creams my OH is willing to use on his hands when they get cracked because it doesn't leave a residue and doesn't smell).

The second cream you need will be for everyday - light but effective. The Nivea for men range can be quite heavy and I know one guy who went on a rant to me about how it leaves him oily and shiny so I wouldn't recommend it at all. The normal ("for women") Nivea Visage range may be a good place to look. I know the Daily Essentials day cream is light but good, as is their Oil Free Moisturising Fluid (this would be lighter than the day cream). Neither smell particularly strong or "girly" (for want of a better word) and work well for every day moisture. Quite a lot of products you can get in the supermarket and Boots, or similar places, are good and aren't nearly as pricey as stuff you get at counters in department stores.

The other thing you may want to look at is what you are washing your face with. Often, just normal soap or shower gel is too harsh for the face and you might need a simple face wash (and a daily moisturiser) to stop your skin getting so dry.

Lastly, the dry skin around you mouth will only get worse coming into Winter (I know my lips have been very dry recently with the crappy weather) and the easiest way to fix this is with Vaseline (or is you want to go there - a lip balm). These are super cheap (supermarket!) and you don't have to walk around all day with them on (unless you are cool with that - whatever you want yourself), you can just put them on at night and maybe at some other point during the day so keep you lips and skin from drying. I tend to put them on the skin around my mouth too for the extra moisture so that could work for you also.

Good luck on your search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wapo

Dry skin is a very common problem in Ireland....A lot of the problem is down to the weather central heating diet and skin type!
    Your skin is the largest organ the body has! It helps gets rid of toxins and forms a barrier against all sorts of things......So its very important to maintain your skin in a healthy way because its your first line of defence against the outside world.

95% of people put chemicals on their skin every day by using skin and hair care products shampoos shower-gels body and face creams etc...that are basically detergent chemicals dressed up in a nice bottle, combine this with the Irish weather central heating etc etc and you begin to see the problem....The skin struggles to maintain its natural balance leading to all sorts of skin conditions such as dry skin, oily skin, eczema and dermatitis to name but a few.

We recomend using aloe-vera gel, sheabutter, rosehip oil or a facial cream containg these ingredients...

Hope this helps!
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

I swear by the Nivea for men re-hydrating moisterizing cream, i get really bad dry skin but it sorts me out and isnt greasy or shiny,

also i found that Dr Organics aloe vera concentrated cream for holland and barrett to be very good but its a very sort of thick cream and seeing as you have a beard it might be hard to get rid of from your beard.

so my advice from one dry skin sufferer to another try
    This stuff
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLCru4wrkq9i8XGMVsQ9qEETn4tngstWL9zrbHGd3wikggaxCq
    you will find it in tescos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 2022rae

My boyfriend used to have the same problem. He used to get flaky dry patches throughout his beard and on his forehead. He now uses the Nivea rehydrating face cream daily and loves it. It isn't oily at all and moisturises really well.

If you want to try get rid of dry patches faster an exfoliator face wash is really good! It will help remove all the outermost dead skin cells from your face which are usually the cause of the dry flaky appearance (these should only be used 2-3 times a week max though). Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

You need to do a good scrub to get rid of the dry skin and then try a moisturising face mask like the sanctuary hydrating mask, comes in sachets which are only 2.50 each I think and lasts a few goes, they're great and make a big difference to your skin! My boyfriend has used it, I use it all the time and it's really nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I have very dry skin and use Liz Earle cleanse and polish, you use a cloth with it that gently exfoliates so helps with my dry flaky skin. they have a men's range too
    http://ie.lizearle.com/cleanse-shave-moisturise/liz-earle-for-men-cleanse-and-polish.html
    I think its important to be very gentle when washing dry skin.
    I do also rate nivea Q10 daily moisturiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lucylue

I know its no good for the wrinkles or when wearing make-up but aloe vera gel applied first and then some olive oil over the top is the best remedy for very dry skin on the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dancesatnight

a honey face mark is very good for dry and greasy skin once ebery 3 weeks and then u go to wash it off use a little sugar to to remove dead skin :) dont know how it works. i just copied an ex girlfriend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lucylue

Honey is brilliant, thats for sure. You can apply it on its own but it will go all runny with the heat of your skin. Mix a teasp of honey with a teasp of cornflour and apply as a mask. Its brill to brighten and freshen up the skin.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

wapo wrote: »
    Dry skin is a very common problem in Ireland....A lot of the problem is down to the weather central heating diet and skin type!
    Your skin is the largest organ the body has! It helps gets rid of toxins and forms a barrier against all sorts of things......So its very important to maintain your skin in a healthy way because its your first line of defence against the outside world.

95% of people put chemicals on their skin every day by using skin and hair care products shampoos shower-gels body and face creams etc...that are basically detergent chemicals dressed up in a nice bottle, combine this with the Irish weather central heating etc etc and you begin to see the problem....The skin struggles to maintain its natural balance leading to all sorts of skin conditions such as dry skin, oily skin, eczema and dermatitis to name but a few.

We recomend using aloe-vera gel, sheabutter, rosehip oil or a facial cream containg these ingredients...

Hope this helps!
    Paul

Paul has some very good points here OP.

Firstly you need to rule out dehydration, are you drinking plenty of water? cut back on tea & coffee ect..

Advertisement