Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some advice

Options
  • 27-10-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I am looking to build a pc, I plan to use it for software deveolpment and game deveolpment.

I have been scrolling this forum for days now and I feel I would be able to build it no problem and find out what parts to use and what not to use.

My question is, in peoples opinions do i need to build a powerful machine or would an average one do.

Also I had to mention it to my better half and she is not to pleased that I have decided to do this. she thinks its a waste of money and thinks i should just buy a cheap desktop to do it on. So if I do need to build a powerful one would people recommend using second hand parts. I was looking on adverts.ie and there seems to be some good value in second hand parts, or would people recommend me to buy new.

I probably won't be building till after christmas so i plan to pick parts up over the next couple of months.

Any more advice would be welcome.

Cheers in advance
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Exactly what programs will you be using for this, and what sort of software / games are you planning on developing?

If you do end up building one - whether expensive or cheap - I'd recommend getting parts from Adverts. I've bought and sold quite a few things there myself, and there are some great deals to be had. The parts I've got have always been fine, the people very nice to deal with.

If you're looking for stuff new, a site everyone here uses is hardwareversand.de. There's also Dabs.ie, Memoryc.ie, Komplett.ie, and Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dclewis

To be honest im not really sure what im doing yet. I have always been into games and computers but im taking it to the next level now. I will be going back to college next year to do a computer science degree.

I would like to go down the route of games development eventually. I have heard from other forums on this site that it helps if you have some sort of portfolio when applying for work.

So I plan to start maybe in some online games maybe mobile games too. I would also be looking into software development aswell.

As the other half is tight with the ol readys. I would prefer to buy a better set up now so im not upgrading it for a couple of years.

And thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'm doing a computer science degree at the moment. You could do all of what they ask of you on the cheapest of netbooks with no problems what-so-ever. Even in second/third year, you don't need anything beyond a bog-standard office laptop.

As for the games development. If you're not sure, I'd wait. Get a cheap laptop now, and in a couple of years, if you need something better, pick it up then. No point spending money on something you might never used, then have it become obsolete when you do want to.

Advertisement