Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anaemia

Options
  • 27-10-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone else here anaemic? I have been diagnosed after long periods of exhaustion for no particular reason and have been put on Galfer tablets.

I got the tablets last night as I couldn't afford them til I got paid and I am apprehesive about taking them as I know iron is very hard on the stomach and I already have enough problems with IBS and hypoglycemia. I'll be taking the first one with my dinner tonight.

I'm finding it really hard to cope with the tiredness though, it's gotten so bad I'm drinking a berrocca every morning and a red bull in the afternoon and going to bed at 9pm when I can and I can still barely stay awake during the day.

My job requires me to be at the top of my game at all times and I'm fighting an uphill battle to stay on form and stay alert every day.

Just needed a bit of a rant, I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

Hi, I was very bad when i was pregnant, the nurse kept giving out to me for not taking the iron even though i was- religiously! a few things i learned was that vitamin c helps its absorption so drinking orange juice helps, and caffeine does the opposite so avoid tea and coffee etc..

AFAIK the galfar ones are quite easy on the stomach, or are supposed to be anyway. i was grand with the pregnancy ones but i think they're a different dosage, and i alo had no stomach problems as such, apart from bad "morning" sickness! :rolleyes:

hopefully they do the trick for you, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I go through periods of anaemia and sometimes have to go onto iron tablets....you're right, they can be very hard on the stomach. I could only stomach one tablet per day.

As CK2010 mentions, take a glass of OJ with your tablets to increase absorption. I was advised by the doctor to avoid eating eggs as these can help decrease absorption (not an issue for me, don't really like them!). Make sure you continue to eat plenty of leafy greens (I know my iron levels are dropping when i crave broccoli and will eat a whole head of it in front of the TV like i would eat popcorn at the cinema!), as well as pulses, nuts (add a handful of chopped nuts to cereal etc), apricots etc.

Fingers crossed your levels will start to increase :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

I find ferrograd iron tablets are easier on my stomach, galfer can be hard on the stomach! They were recommended to me by a nurse who had experienced similar problems. They are also available combined with vitamin c - which is very handy as it definitely helps with absorption.
    Best of luck, I hope things improve for you!

Advertisement