Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Upgrade

Options
  • 27-10-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have recently just bought a second 5770 to crossfire in my PC but the trouble now is that I have been bitten by the upgrade bug again.

I have been offered a Q9550 for about €150 and I am debating whether or not it would be worth getting.

I really only use my PC for games I am thinking of doing a major overhaul of my system next year, if I think there will be a big jump in performance of games. From what few gaming benchmarks I can find, the Q9550 seems to be within a few fps of an i7 920 but I can't find newer processors to compare the q9550 to than that. (BTW my monitor is a Samsung P2450H and I game at 1920 x 1080).

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Cheers,
    fb

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

You're better off saving the money for a better upgrade later. The Q9550 is an old chip and isn't worth €150 any more when you consider that an i5-2400 is the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Thanks for the reply! I agree with you in a way in that the money would probably be better spent on a new system although I'm not sure that there would be a significant difference between an i5 2400 and a Q9550 in games.

Either way, I just saw a Q9550 for €100 and now it is looking more tempting since that would only buy me an i3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

farna_boy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! I agree with you in a way in that the money would probably be better spent on a new system although I'm not sure that there would be a significant difference between an i5 2400 and a Q9550 in games.

Either way, I just saw a Q9550 for €100 and now it is looking more tempting since that would only buy me an i3.

Yeah thats pretty good considering the i3 would only be ~5% better than the Q9550 on average. You might get a few euro from selling your old chip as well.

Advertisement