Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay .com or move to .ie

Options
  • 27-10-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a very small business website that is a .com. I always get page 1 near the top in google with it at the moment for relevant keyword search.

Would it be a worthwhile exercise to go to a .ie to seem more professional? My worry would be the loss of SEO to date.

What do you think?

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

theres no huge advantage to .ie over .com. If you already have .com then why do you think you have to change over?

How professional you appear will come down to you web page design and the way you conduct and operate your self in business. You can get quality and shoddy examples of both using .ie and .com.

You could always buy the .ie and set up a redirect to your .com to keep your page listing? How big a company are you?

A lot of irish companies would rather secure a .com than a .ie as they think it gives them a more international appeal. A lot of uk companies go down this route as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Hi Lantus,

Its just me and I have a good site. I have already bought the .ie just to have it, so I will do as you said and put in a redirect.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

What largely determines this is your market. If you mainly serve Ireland, .ie is your primary domain and likewise .com if you serve a more international market. The secondary then redirects to the primary domain preferably at A record DNS level. This is best tied down in the early days of a business, preferably before you get the domains. Moving later isn't ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

If I were you and it is available I would just buy the .ie domain and divert it to your .com website, then you can advertise in Ireland with the .ie domain, however as mentioned above it depends on where your primary sales come from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Dont fret on the .com as long as u make it clear that u operate from ireland.. Yes u could redirect both ways but seriously.. why bother

Leave well enough alone.. if your hitting page 1 already for your keywords .. i suggest looking at other things in your business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement