Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My dad used my voting card this morning!

• 27-10-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Never bothered re-registering since moving out a few years ago, so my voting card is still sent to my dad's house. He just told me that when he went to vote this morning, he accidentally used my voting card. They didnt check the card at all in the polling station when he handed it over, and he says they crossed off his name on the list.

Can I still vote?

Don't have my own card, and don't think it would be a good idea going in with his card, in case they actually look at it this time.

If I just go up with ID (and assuming my name hasn't been crossed off) will I be good to go?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

beglee wrote: »
    If I just go up with ID (and assuming my name hasn't been crossed off) will I be good to go?

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How sure is he that it was his name that was crossed off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

spurious wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes is correct, just bring photo ID and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

How sure is he that it was his name that was crossed off?

Seems sure enough, so I guess I'll be okay with just my passport.

Is there even any point to the voting cards when they dont even check them, and considering theres another thread about how people keep getting sent 2 cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

He cast a vote in his own name, go and vote in your name, polling cards do not entitle you to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Yes as long as you bring photo ID or utility bill with your name and address it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

beglee wrote: »
    Is there even any point to the voting cards when they dont even check them, and considering theres another thread about how people keep getting sent 2 cards

The purpose of the voting card is to advise you, the voter, of the date of the election and the polling station where you are to vote.

It is not intended to serve as ID and indeed it lists the various forms of ID which are acceptable, if you are asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

gizmo555 wrote: »
    The purpose of the voting card is to advise you, the voter, of the date of the election and the polling station where you are to vote.

It is not intended to serve as ID and indeed it lists the various forms of ID which are acceptable, if you are asked.

while this is all correct, if the OPs name was crossed off rather than father then they will be under the impression he voted

If the father is right that his name was crossed off rather than OP, then he will be alright will the correct ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Riskymove wrote: »
    while this is all correct, if the OPs name was crossed off rather than father then they will be under the impression he voted

They will remain under that impression whether he has the card or not . . .

Advertisement