Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB head Pat O'Doherty is to be paid €318,000, some €68,000 in excess of the pay cap

• 27-10-2011 1:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How can this be? Surely some one has to sign off on this to be offered that amount?

Will he get his salary capped?

Link
    Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore has expressed dissatisfaction that the salary of the new ESB chief executive has breached the semi-state pay cap.

The new ESB head Pat O'Doherty is to be paid €318,000, some €68,000 in excess of the pay cap
    set by the previous finance minister Brian Lenihan in December.

Fianna Fáil's deputy leader Eamon Ó Cúiv has demanded an explanation, describing it as the latest in a long list of abandoned promises from the Government.

ButMr Gilmore said his ministerial colleague Brendan Howlin intends to deal with the matter.

"The Government has made it very clear that pay caps are going to have to apply," the Tánaiste said. "And I expect that the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform will be dealing with that issue."

"We intend to stick with the decisions that we have made."

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gilmore-pay-caps-must-apply-526013.html#ixzz1bz6hxFO7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Unless it's gonna be just another 1 of these investiagtions into why he was promised it but O look, we cant take it off him now as it was promised to him...

Does not state very clearly as to what they will be dong other than looking into the issue...

"Would love to know how 1 person in this country needs that amount of money a year ro sustain"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

This so called pay cap is about as credible the PS pay freeze and increments, they are both really taking the piss

How many people have now managed to get over the pay cap in the PS and the banks, it's a complete joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

That is incredible. If he was an international candidate from a leading power generation/distribution company elsewhere in the world and the salary was needed to attract him here, there might be some justification, but it appears he was an internal promotion. Not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bord Gais having millions to spend on renaming the Grand Canal Theatre.

Now this crap....

I honestly believe these people are in la la land. Its astonishing literally astonishing. RTE is the same. Where is this supposed Talent? Was this guy drifting off to some energy provider in germany offering him 350 K? I highly f***ing doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

listermint wrote: »
    Bord Gais having millions to spend on renaming the Grand Canal Theatre.

Now this crap....

I honestly believe these people are in la la land. Its astonishing literally astonishing. RTE is the same. Where is this supposed Talent? Was this guy drifting off to some energy provider in germany offering him 350 K? I highly f***ing doubt it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually taking only a slight increase in pay (or possibly even a decrease) from his previous position.

Being realistic for the level of experience he has he probably would easily get an equivalently payed position in the UK or the States.

Not that this justifies a semi-state breaking the pay cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well, since the rest of the ESB has been independently audited as being overpaid and even one of their own union reps has described them as spoilt rotten, why wouldn't the top guy be paid silly money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Won't his pay be slightly less than the pension of the man he replaces?

ESB. Milking the people of Ireland for generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I suggest Eamonn Gilmore and Brendan Howling both be contacted for an update on progress here.

If it turns out that O'Doherty has to be paid this then I suggest his contracted is terminated with necessary breaches on our side paid, and also the person who hired him should be fired for clear and unforgivable breaches of policy. And then we hire ANOTHER person for something less than the maximum. Lets try and get it right and draw a line in the sand. Face up to it and pay the price or we will be inundated with further breaches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Well, he has to paid loads of money.

Hardly get away with paying the staff great wages and then scrimp when it comes to the chief eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually taking only a slight increase in pay (or possibly even a decrease) from his previous position.

Being realistic for the level of experience he has he probably would easily get an equivalently payed position in the UK or the States.

Not that this justifies a semi-state breaking the pay cap.

Surely that'd mean we would pay him the same as a regional manager as our population is tiny compared to the UK or the states

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This is the equivalent of me getting free electricity for 66 years.

rodento wrote: »
    Surely that'd mean we would pay him the same as a regional manager as our population is tiny compared to the UK or the states

How much are the equivalent guys in th UK and US actually paid?

I cant imagine that its more than this guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

because it's so hard to manage a monopoly in a country the size of a Chinese city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

$7.7million apparently. And that's just one supplier
    http://people.forbes.com/profile/kevin-burke/22665

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Staff at the ESB are in general overpaid. This doesn't come as any surprise for me in the slightest. Roll on competition tbh.

ninty9er wrote: »
    $7.7million apparently. And that's just one supplier
    http://people.forbes.com/profile/kevin-burke/22665

Good Jesus!!!!!!!
    No wonder "energy costs" are constantly rising.

rodento wrote: »

Not really, he was the head of ESBI, a company with numerous domestic and international contracts with around 1400 engineering staff that pulls about €250 million in operating profit a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭fliball123

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Not really, he was the head of ESBI, a company with numerous domestic and international contracts with around 1400 engineering staff that pulls about €250 million in operating profit a year.

But you miss the point we cannot afford to pay this much to anyone..We need to higher what we can afford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

As an employer I do not feel he should be paid that much when we cannot afford it. The ESB are the only semi-state body to make a profit and they are wasting it as best they can with overpaid salaries, expensive-to-maintain canteen facilities in work, free bars once a week in pubs etc. The government doesn't have enough balls to cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Gilmore is one to talk

I suggest he looks at his own first? How can he honestly expect anyone to listen to him when his OWN advisors are breaching caps too

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1020/advisers.html
    Two advisers to Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore are also receiving a salary above the pay-cap.

Hypocritical in the extreme :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭human repellent

I'll state what I and every other irish person knows.

Countrys a joke, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Countrys a joke, end of.

I think it's the people running it that are a joke more so

but hey, we voted them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭human repellent

Normally we vote for people who fill us with utter ****e and get into office and do the opposite of what they set out to, but hey.

TIS IRELAND.

Come on this excuse we voted them in...They are all the fcuking same its a case of having to vote for the best of a bad bunch

Come on this excuse we voted them in...They are all the fcuking same its a case of having to vote for the best of a bad bunch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As an employer I do not feel he should be paid that much when we cannot afford it. The ESB are the only semi-state body to make a profit and they are wasting it as best they can with overpaid salaries, expensive-to-maintain canteen facilities in work, free bars once a week in pubs etc. The government doesn't have enough balls to cut.

Where the hell are the hiding that?
    I know of no such thing and im fairly close to 2 ESB employees :rolleyes:

you do know that most canteens in PS offices are sub contractors renting that space from the PS office in question?
    Also the statement about free bars etc is simply rubbish, and to hear it coming from a so called employer enlightens me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly, the free bars comment is pure balderdash - someone is having you on.:p

They don't even get a Christmas party on the company.

As for canteen facilities; these are contracted out and no different to facilities all over the country - Eircom, Google, Intel, Elan etc..

Firstly, the free bars comment is pure balderdash - someone is having you on.:p

They don't even get a Christmas party on the company.

As for canteen facilities; these are contracted out and no different to facilities all over the country - Eircom, Google, Intel, Elan etc..

The canteens in the power stations are definitely subsidized, the head office one probably not so much.

They're subsidised. According to my neighbour who works for ESB in Dublin city centre a dinner costs in the region of €3.

That's not forgetting the discount on electricity which runs at around 55%.

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    They're subsidised. According to my neighbour who works for ESB in Dublin city centre a dinner costs in the region of €3.

it doesnt matter that its subsidised, the canteen is still contracted out and the space rented out, probably on condition of maximum pricing, and if the company can still make a profit on that, then whats the problem?

Now, your stiring BS, the discount is nowhere near 55% at all. :rolleyes:

kceire wrote: »
    it doesnt matter that its subsidised, the canteen is still contracted out and the space rented out, probably on condition of maximum pricing, and if the company can still make a profit on that, then whats the problem?

Do you understand what subsidised means..It means that the difference in what they pay in the canteen say 3 quid and what the meal should be say 7 quid is paid by the employer..who gets it off the backs of the tax payer by increasing Elecy prices...Thats the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Godge wrote: »
    If he was an international candidate from a leading power generation/distribution company elsewhere in the world and the salary was needed to attract him here
    The kind of candidate you're talking about wouldn't even bother getting out of bed for €318,000 a year.

If I was in charge I would get someone qualified in and pay them €2 million if they can meet certain criteria in bringing ESB overheads down and increasing profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

you're not entirely correct on those 2 points;

the canteen in head office is comprised of some contracted catering staff but also a number of esb full time employees.

the electricity discount is 60 % on the first 500 units/period. the average bill is less than 500 units/period. if they go over 500 units/period the next 400 units are discounted at a rate of 50 %.

i wouldn't quibble so much with the new ceo's salary. esbi have been very successful under his tenure. it wouldn't surprise me if his salary as head of esbi was about the same as his new package.

i would quibble with the very generous average salary, 93 K (incl pension). of course there are many people doing great jobs in esb earning a lot less than that but a basic grasp of statistics would lead you to believe there are a hell of a lot of people earning more than they should be. the other issue is the amount of redundant staff pulling in huge salaries. about 1,000 according to the recent audit.

From the Irish Times:
    According to an ESB spokesman, every full-time member of staff is entitled to a 55 per cent discount on the 1,000 units on the bill they receive from the company every two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

fliball123 wrote: »
    who gets it off the backs of the tax payer by increasing Elecy prices

What about people who don't pay tax? Surely they pay for electricity too?

• Advertisement

From the Irish Times:

Standing charge and public service levy don't get discounted so the real percentage is obviously less than the 50-60% quoted.

Either way, staff get discounts in most other walks of life so I wouldn't expect it to be different here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The free bar claim is 100% true. I have seen the tabs and ESB credit card used to pay them with my own eyes. 3 years ago the tab would've been astronomical compared to what it is now but it is still a great perk for working in the ESB.

Where the hell are the hiding that?
    I know of no such thing and im fairly close to 2 ESB employees :rolleyes:

you do know that most canteens in PS offices are sub contractors renting that space from the PS office in question?
    Also the statement about free bars etc is simply rubbish, and to hear it coming from a so called employer enlightens me ?
    I was speaking hypothetically as an employer, but still.

Standing charge and public service levy don't get discounted so the real percentage is obviously less than the 50-60% quoted.
    Standing charge is a small part of the bill, so the discount is effectively 53% on 1000 units.
    Either way, staff get discounts in most other walks of life so I wouldn't expect it to be different here.
    Benefit in kind is also popular, but not in the ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Which city centre one? I've been in a few ESB canteens and that's not true from my experience. As kceire, they're run by private catering companies and the local pubs and cafes are cheaper

Ah, come on! Free bars once a week! You're taking the píss.

Agreed that the head's wages are way too high though.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Which city centre one? I've been in a few ESB canteens and that's not true from my experience. As kceire, they're run by private catering companies and the local pubs and cafes are cheaper
    Now that makes no sense. Why would staff stick to privately run canteens if they were more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Now that makes no sense. Why would staff stick to privately run canteens if they were more expensive.

Do they? Last one I was in had about 5 people in it at lunch.

Using the 1000 units, €82/150 example from the Irish Times, when you take the standing charge/public service levy into the equation (which works out at around €25 per bill), the actual discount is around 39%.

As for the free bar, can the person who made this claim clarify whether it is just for office staff or do the technicians get it as well? I'd be interested to know when they get it considering they all drive big yellow vans. I can see the headline in the Irish Daily Mail, "Hundreds of ESB workers in Drink-Drive shocker"

Standing charge is a small part of the bill, so the discount is effectively 53% on 1000 units.

Benefit in kind is also popular, but not in the ESB.

Are there any examples where workers who get a staff discount pay BIK? Aer Lingus workers gettign stand-by flights, workers in HMV getting cheap CDs/DVDs, workers in any shop getting 10% off or whatever. Do any of these pay BIK?

The free bar claim is 100% true. I have seen the tabs and ESB credit card used to pay them with my own eyes. 3 years ago the tab would've been astronomical compared to what it is now but it is still a great perk for working in the ESB.

Nah, your 100% spoofing here tbh, your trying to troll to create arguments, and failing might i add :rolleyes:
    Are there any examples where workers who get a staff discount pay BIK? Aer Lingus workers gettign stand-by flights, workers in HMV getting cheap CDs/DVDs, workers in any shop getting 10% off or whatever. Do any of these pay BIK?

+1

I get 10-20% off most shops around my job because we are local, i dont pay BIK on that. my mam gets 10% of carphonewarehouse cause she works in a dunnes beside it, she dont pay BIK (came in handy while buying an iPhone 4 for her :D)
    Retail staff get discounts on buying from the store, i used to get discounts while working in my local off licence while in school etc, nah no BIK is paid by 99% of people who get discounts from their employer.

My mates sister works for Aer Lingus, and while we both got 2 free flights to Liverpool last year, i will admit, we had to pay the taxes ourselves.

How does it make no sense? because it doesnt suit you?
    Our canteen is subsidised, full dinner costa €4.80, tea 60c, but its never full.

kceire wrote:
    i used to get discounts while working in my local off licence while in school

On just the coke and crisps I hope!

What about people who don't pay tax? Surely they pay for electricity too?

People who dont pay tax are usually on the dole...and where does there money come from...the taxpayer

Nah, your 100% spoofing here tbh, your trying to troll to create arguments, and failing might i add :rolleyes:

+1

I get 10-20% off most shops around my job because we are local, i dont pay BIK on that. my mam gets 10% of carphonewarehouse cause she works in a dunnes beside it, she dont pay BIK (came in handy while buying an iPhone 4 for her :D)
    Retail staff get discounts on buying from the store, i used to get discounts while working in my local off licence while in school etc, nah no BIK is paid by 99% of people who get discounts from their employer.

My mates sister works for Aer Lingus, and while we both got 2 free flights to Liverpool last year, i will admit, we had to pay the taxes ourselves.

How does it make no sense? because it doesnt suit you?
    Our canteen is subsidised, full dinner costa €4.80, tea 60c, but its never full.

No it doesnt make sense as your employer makes up the short fall the ESB gets its money from the general public via elecy prices and from the gov who get their money from the tax payer..either way the tax payer and the person paying for electricity is paying for this ..have you seen how much elecy has gone up by..maybe if they cut their wage and cut out the perks and subsidised nature they could reduce the cost for an already over burderned population

On just the coke and crisps I hope!

I was over 18 :D
    I was 19 doing my leaving cert.
    People who dont pay tax are usually on the dole...and where does there money come from...the taxpayer

wrong, i was working as a C2 contractor a while back and for the whole year i paid no tax, nothing, due to the legal tax breaks available at the time, it was great.
    ESB gets its money from the general public via elecy prices and from the gov who get their money from the tax payer..either way the tax payer and the person paying for electricity is paying for this

sure we can use this argument for every business in the country!
    My dads house is paid for by the tax payer as its tax payers that buy his product. his car is paid for by the tax payer as its tax payers that buy his product. his new pair of jeans is paid for by the tax payer as its tax payers that buy his product.
    have you seen how much elecy has gone up by..maybe if they cut their wage and cut out the perks and subsidised nature they could reduce the cost for an already over burderned population

Of course i have, im connected to ESB myself. but ranting about untrue stuff isint gona achieve anything, especially on an internet forum with a good % of spoofers, students and people on for a laugh.

Its crap thats spouted on here that drives the genuine employees up the wall, employees, that get mid 20's salary, no overtime, no bonus, none of this perk things that people seem to spout on about as the new buzz word without actually breaking down what they think the perk is.....the mind boggles.....thats another buzz word that is used just to wind people up.....honestly, the mind boggles that some people can believe this stuff, then maintain that they are genuinely thinking of the countries interest ....... god i love this forum, if i even need a few mins to laugh while sitting back on my heated office chair, with mu mug of chocolatey latty creamed coffee, or whatever that coffee stuff is then its in here.

i'd love to say i wont look back in but sometime you have to do, just to see the sheer mentality of some posters who actualy think they are correct........

I was over 18 :D
    I was 19 doing my leaving cert.

sure we can use this argument for every business in the country!
    My dads house is paid for by the tax payer as its tax payers that buy his product. his car is paid for by the tax payer as its tax payers that buy his product. his new pair of jeans is paid for by the tax payer as its tax payers that buy his product.

Of course i have, im connected to ESB myself. but ranting about untrue stuff isint gona achieve anything, especially on an internet forum with a good % of spoofers, students and people on for a laugh.

Its crap thats spouted on here that drives the genuine employees up the wall, employees, that get mid 20's salary, no overtime, no bonus, none of this perk things that people seem to spout on about as the new buzz word without actually breaking down what they think the perk is.....the mind boggles.....thats another buzz word that is used just to wind people up.....honestly, the mind boggles that some people can believe this stuff, then maintain that they are genuinely thinking of the countries interest ....... god i love this forum, if i even need a few mins to laugh while sitting back on my heated office chair, with mu mug of chocolatey latty creamed coffee, or whatever that coffee stuff is then its in here.

i'd love to say i wont look back in but sometime you have to do, just to see the sheer mentality of some posters who actualy think they are correct........

Is your dad borrowing 18 billion to keep the lights on? if he was he wouldnt be buying a new pair of jeans now would he...the fact is and this through out the ps and semi state they are over paid and deem it prudent to up prices ala ESB, GAS, Transport aswell as the gov taxing the hell out of everything a double whammy...I put up figures of how the deficit between what we take and what we pay is at least twice as much to blame as the bankers are yet everyone is having a go still ..Now dont get me wrong the bankers are a bunch of gangsters but the cost is now known but the deficit is still very wide. I have shown that we are paying a 59% effective tax rate nearly 2/3s of what you earn goes on tax and yet the next budget the tax payer will be raped again...and you think this has no connection to the subsidised nature so inherent in both semi states and the ps...this kind of thing needs to be stopped..We can no longer afford it...If the ESB want to keep their wages high the gov should hurry with the interconnectors to Europe and maybe get a bit more competition into the energy market.

I put up figures of how the deficit between what we take and what we pay is at least twice as much to blame as the bankers are yet everyone is having a go still ..

No you didnt, you copied a link from someopne elses post on another forum from Feb 2011.
    I have shown that we are paying a 59% effective tax rate nearly 2/3s of what you earn goes on tax and yet the next budget the tax payer will be raped again...

i havent seen it, can you post it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement