Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB head Pat O'Doherty is to be paid €318,000, some €68,000 in excess of the pay cap

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭fliball123

kceire wrote: »
    No you didnt, you copied a link from someopne elses post on another forum from Feb 2011.

i havent seen it, can you post it again.

Which if you looked had various links to other stats from the CSO and other gov bodies...

Do your own research and come back to me but USC, VAT, Income tax that is the effective tax rate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Using the 1000 units, €82/150 example from the Irish Times, when you take the standing charge/public service levy into the equation (which works out at around €25 per bill), the actual discount is around 39%.

As for the free bar, can the person who made this claim clarify whether it is just for office staff or do the technicians get it as well? I'd be interested to know when they get it considering they all drive big yellow vans. I can see the headline in the Irish Daily Mail, "Hundreds of ESB workers in Drink-Drive shocker"
    You won't see that headline in the mail because the free bar thing is simply not true.

I know a guy who works in the electricity company in france. He says he pays 10% of his bill no matter how high it is. He said if his bill is a grand, he pays €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

the actual discount is around 39%.
    Not at 14.76c a unit and a standing charge of 28.93c a day over 60 days. Discount works out approx 50% on 1000 units.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fliball123 wrote: »
    Do your own research and come back to me but USC, VAT, Income tax that is the effective tax rate...

I dont need to do any research, your the one claiming its true, not me. i dont believe you, so up to you to provide proof or else its just hearsay on your part.

I dont need to do any research, your the one claiming its true, not me. i dont believe you, so up to you to provide proof or else its just hearsay on your part.

Its all averages and as I say Guardiev had figures on the VB show but I cant find them anywhere....whats the average income tax rate 33% whats the average USC ??? and what do we pay in VAT and other stealth charges...Your blind if you cannot see that it is close enough to the 59% figure

Its all averages and as I say Guardiev had figures on the VB show but I cant find them anywhere....whats the average income tax rate 33% whats the average USC ??? and what do we pay in VAT and other stealth charges..

but if i look at various peoples pay slips, PS, PrvS, Semi State, they dont lose anything at all near 59%, what your saying is that people get paid 41% of their earnings?

I lose 33% of my income due to taxes & pension contributions.
    When i look at my mams pay slip she loses even less as she pays no pension.
    my GF in semi state losea around 25% after taxes and DC pension payments.

I just fail to see where this 59% your getting is coming from?
    ...Your blind if you cannot see that it is close enough to the 59% figure

Please explain :confused:

You are familiar with tax bands? The top rate of tax is effectively 50-something%

You're in the PS, so you get paid overtime. How much of that hourly rate do you actually take home?

but if i look at various peoples pay slips, PS, PrvS, Semi State, they dont lose anything at all near 59%, what your saying is that people get paid 41% of their earnings?

I lose 33% of my income due to taxes & pension contributions.
    When i look at my mams pay slip she loses even less as she pays no pension.
    my GF in semi state losea around 25% after taxes and DC pension payments.

I just fail to see where this 59% your getting is coming from?

I have already said all tax including stealth and VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

n97 mini wrote: »
    Not at 14.76c a unit and a standing charge of 28.93c a day over 60 days. Discount works out approx 50% on 1000 units.

work in ESB discount is on the electricity units only , standing charge PSO and VAT all paid same as everyone else , works out at 38% each bill.FACTUAL

so all the 50% , 55% etc is all nonsense

and no we don't have a free bar or anything like that ,
    an no I don't earn the sort of nonsense pay you see reported in the paper's (not even on half of it).
    And yes I work bloody hard for the wages I am paid.

• Advertisement

You're in the PS, so you get paid overtime. How much of that hourly rate do you actually take home?

No i dont! i 100% DO NOT get paid overtime, and never have done in my PS career. So once again, you drag yourself down to low level insults with not one shred of evedance to back it up :rolleyes:
    I have already said all tax including stealth and VAT

no, your figures still dont add up............
    Edit - WTF - VAT, who the pays VAT on their income........?

No i dont! i 100% DO NOT get paid overtime, and never have done in my PS career. So once again, you drag yourself down to low level insults with not one shred of evedance to back it up :rolleyes:
    Keep your hair on. Nothing insulting about paid overtime.

Other that you're possibly in PR I don't know what section you work in, but I have not heard of any section that does not have an agreement for paid over time. When I was PS I got it.

Keep your hair on. Nothing insulting about paid overtime.

Other that you're possibly in PR I don't know what section you work in, but I have not heard of any section that does not have an agreement for paid over time. When I was PS I got it.

Local Authorithy.
    The insulting comment was the assumption on your part that i got it.

Edit - i had to work 4 nights a few months ago, but i got time in lieu for that, but otherwise no OT payment.

Local Authorithy.
    Considering the numbers that do get it, there's nothing insulting about it.

Why don't you get it? Do your work colleagues get it?

Considering the numbers that do get it, there's nothing insulting about it.

Why don't you get it? Do your work colleagues get it?

Nope, theres no such thing as paid OT in here, its all time in Lieu.
    Our core hours are 7.30am-6.30pm so anything within these timelines are normal working hours.

Edit -

A snipet from our overtime policy :
    Overtime is not payable in relation to Professional staff. (The basis for this is
    set out in the 1979 Engineers Agreement)

Well, other local authorities do get paid overtime.

I assuming your's does too, but that there is a ban on overtime at the moment.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/council-says-it-cant-afford-to-pay-staffs-lost-overtime-2651398.html

http://www.labourcourt.ie/labour/labcourtweb.nsf/cfcbbe5c5fe85fa680256a01005bb356/80256a770034a2ab802575f300322d94?OpenDocument

EDIT: In light of your edit, it was reasonable to assume you were in the majority.

So you're an engineer and not in PR? IT engineer?

• Advertisement

those cases relate from 2008 and 2009 so yeah possible OT payment has been banned since then or thereabouts.

But as i said OT payments dont happen currently and not since 2008 has it happened where i work (thats when i started so cant quote for before then).

anyway, i still request that you remove or apolagise for your statement
    Originally Posted by n97 mini

In responce to your edit, which was in responce to my edit :D

no, im Civil/Structural Qualified but working as a Technician, so somehow still classed as professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

People who dont pay tax are usually on the dole...and where does there money come from...the taxpayer

Bull! Ever heard of low paid workers? Doesn't apply to you obviously. Tax payers have nothing to do with it as no tax revenues go into ESB, it's Customers who pay.

.If the ESB want to keep their wages high the gov should hurry with the interconnectors to Europe and maybe get a bit more competition into the energy market.
    Shows how much you know! The greatest trading profit in ESB is the Networks business which handles the distribution. Doesn't matter what competition is there on generation or supply as they will distribute it. Learn something about the business before you spoof.:rolleyes:

Shows how much you know! The greatest trading profit in ESB is the Networks business which handles the distribution. Doesn't matter what competition is there on generation or supply as they will distribute it. Learn something about the business before you spoof.:rolleyes:

ESB Networks was supposed to hand ownership of the grid over to Eirgrid, an organisation that is not connected to ESB. The ESB unions are blocking this.

Eddie Hobbs wrote an interesting piece about the situation.

http://www.eddiehobbs.com/_blog/EddiesBlog/post/Move_the_Grid_and_the_Lights_go_Out!/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ESB Networks was supposed to hand ownership of the grid over to Eirgrid, an organisation that is not connected to ESB. The ESB unions are blocking this.

http://www.eddiehobbs.com/_blog/EddiesBlog/post/Move_the_Grid_and_the_Lights_go_Out!/

Eddie Hobbs' piece is 11 months old now and the full Cahill/Frontier report has been released since then so I'd like to read a more up to date piece from him before I took that as his final piece on it (not that I take everything he says as gospel anyway).

However if the transfer of assets did go through, ESB's value would be considerably less than it is now and selling 30% of that wouldn't raise as much money in the big sell off so I'd say that's a bigger reason for the grid staying in ESB hands as opposed to the union blocking it. Don't get me wrong, of course the unions would have kicked up a fuss as their 5% share would be worthless but I don't think they're the primary reason for the transfer not going through.

• Advertisement

Wrong again. The independent consultants report a couple of months back recommended against it and the government stated that such a transfer of assets would weaken both ESB and Eirgrid to the point that neither could function. Try to keep up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Eddie Hobbs' piece is 11 months old now and the full Cahill/Frontier report has been released since then so I'd like to read a more up to date piece from him before I took that as his final piece on it (not that I take everything he says as gospel anyway).

has it been released? Senator David Cullinane was calling for it to be published as recently as last July.
    Wrong again. The independent consultants report a couple of months back recommended against it and the government stated that such a transfer of assets would weaken both ESB and Eirgrid to the point that neither could function. Try to keep up to date.
    What independent consultants report are you referring to? The unbundling of the transmission assets is required under Directive 2009/72/EC so we dont have a choice. Every country in Europe, with the exception of us, Scotland, Latvia and Greece, has unbundled its transmission assets. I dont see how this transfer of assets would weaken the ESB to the point that it couldnt function, seeing as it is the norm in Europe - unless of course you are suggesting the protection unions have guaranteed ESB workers has led to inefficiencies and work partices which mean the company cant function without holding an unfair advantage in the market, in which case you are right. We have to separate transmission ownership from generation and supply which means transfering these assets regardless of what it means for ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Local Authorithy.

Edit - i had to work 4 nights a few months ago, but i got time in lieu for that, but otherwise no OT payment.

Its hardly 'insulting' to make a wrong assumption that someone gets paid for overtime. Sure, its something that a person should probably retract if they are wrong, though calling it an insult is an exaggeration. There are people in the PS who get paid overtime, so making that assumption isn't all too crazy either...even if in this case it was wrong.

sarumite wrote: »
    Its hardly 'insulting' to make a wrong assumption that someone gets paid for overtime. Sure, its something that a person should probably retract if they are wrong, though calling it an insult is an exaggeration. There are people in the PS who get paid overtime, so making that assumption isn't all too crazy either...even if in this case it was wrong.

When somebody else assumes I'm sucking the blood of tax payers and then creaming it by earning over time, then yes I will view it as either insulting to me or a cheap dig at PS employees without any proof. Just sones up this thread and forum to be honest, if you have an idea in your head, true or false, sure post it anyway, it sounds true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

When somebody else assumes I'm sucking the blood of tax payers and then creaming it by earning over time, then yes I will view it as either insulting to me or a cheap dig at PS employees without any proof. Just sones up this thread and forum to be honest, if you have an idea in your head, true or false, sure post it anyway, it sounds true.

They are your words (unless I missed those words in the poster previous posts).

If I have missed those words being posted previously, then please ignore my next statement.

Now, if I was to assume that you getting paid overtime, it would be pretty presumptious of you to assume that it meant that I thought you were "sucking the blood of the tax payer". Even if I had said those exact words, the insult would be from the "sucking the blood of the taxpayer" part and not the assumption that you were getting paid for overtime....but hey, if its in your head, true or false, sure post it anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Do you get hour per hour time in lieu or do you get time and a half etc

Do you get hour per hour time in lieu or do you get time and a half etc

hour per hour, why?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    What independent consultants report are you referring to? The unbundling of the transmission assets is required under Directive 2009/72/EC so we dont have a choice. Every country in Europe, with the exception of us, Scotland, Latvia and Greece, has unbundled its transmission assets. I dont see how this transfer of assets would weaken the ESB to the point that it couldnt function, seeing as it is the norm in Europe

Frontier Economics, under the chairmanship of Fergus Cahill, produced the report. The minister announced a derivation from the directive on 28th July last. It has been accepted by the EU.

Splitting the assets would leave each company too low in asset value to obtain a decent credit rating or opportunity to seek funding on the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

godtabh wrote: »
    How can this be? Surely some one has to sign off on this to be offered that amount?

Will he get his salary capped?

Link

This is absolutely shocking. More FAT CATS !

Advertisement