Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Windows 7 install to SSD?

Options
  • 27-10-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

Currently I have 2 drives in my PC, a 750gb HD (C: Drive), and an Intel X25-M 80gb SSD (E: Drive).
    I have Flight Sim X installed on the SSD (and nothing else), but I'm not sure really if I've been getting much benefit from this, and I'm also starting to run out of space on the SSD.

My HD has Win 7 and everything else on it, and just has one partition, (C)

My question, is it a big/difficult job to move my Win 7 installation to the SSD and move Flight sim over to my 750GB HD? Or, am I better off doing a clean install of everything (Dont really fancy this option!)

I think I'll get more benefit in terms of performance, from having the OS on the SSD rather than Flight Sim.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

IIRC, a clean install of windows 7 on the SSD will give you much better results than copying it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Unfortunately, yes, a clean install is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

your best option is to sell the SSD to me. I've been looking for another one like mine for ages! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

How come you are running out of space ?
    I have a 60gb ssd and have BC2,Crysis and Duke Nukem on it, and still about 10gb to play around with.

I would download Treesize free and scan your c drive to see are there any large temp files sitting on it.

And a clean install is always better than porting a old one over.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

stylie wrote: »
    How come you are running out of space ?

It's all the addon's I have, most of which are installed on the SSD drive.
    Aircraft, sceneries, Utilities etc.. It all adds up!
    L wrote: »
    IIRC, a clean install of windows 7 on the SSD will give you much better results than copying it over.
    So will the Win 7 Installer DVD give me the option to get rid of existing Windows 7 install on the C: drive and install the new one on the SSD?.
    Or, will it get confused and give me hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Rule of thumb when installing Windows is to pull out every drive that's not going to contain Windows. The installer likes to put boot information on other drives sometimes (for whatever reason).

When it's installed, put the HDD back in (making sure to boot from the SSD!) and delete Windows from it.

Advertisement