Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence when there is a licence in the same building

Options
  • 27-10-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

We recently moved into a rented apartment beneath our Landlord. She has a TV license but we keep getting letters in the door about paying for our place, it's under the name of the previous tenant. Yesterday we received a "Legal Notice" to pay our TV license.

Do we have to pay the €160 if our Land Lord has a license already? I presume we do.
    sprinkles wrote: »
    LOL

We have the same problem, we moved in and there was a tv. The obligation to have a tv license is with you, but if your landlord has one already then you don't need to do anything. We have been contacted about the tv license and were told this, so its the gospel according to te tv license dude.

Generally there's not much they can do if they can't get in....... I'm not condoning mot having a license but fire escapes are handy for more things than escaping fires :D;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Holy dead thread resurrection batman! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thread split
    cson wrote: »
    Holy dead thread resurrection batman! :eek:
    Keep it constructive please.

Assuming that you don't share a kitchen, bathroom, etc. with your landlord and that you have a TV, you need a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Rooster_86 wrote: »
    We recently moved into a rented apartment beneath our Landlord. She has a TV license but we keep getting letters in the door about paying for our place, it's under the name of the previous tenant. Yesterday we received a "Legal Notice" to pay our TV license.

Do we have to pay the €160 if our Land Lord has a license already? I presume we do.

The TV licence goes property by property - if the landlord has one for his own property, which is a separate apartment above yours, then you need to get a licence too. If the landlord has a licence for your apartment, just send the licence number or a copy of the licence back with the letter from An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Victor wrote: »
    Keep it constructive please.

Ah come on Victor, it was vaguely constructive in pointing out that the OP dug up a 7 year old thread. No light joshing allowed?

I've debated this much amongst my friends and the consensus seems to be that its really a moral question whether you want to pay it or not [legally you must of course], one can certainly in my estimation avoid paying for it were one so inclined. I don't believe Inspectors have the power of entry into homes, District Court warrants aside. And I'd love to see an order for that brought in front of Judge to see what he'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cson wrote: »
    Ah come on Victor, it was vaguely constructive in pointing out that the OP dug up a 7 year old thread. No light joshing allowed?
    Joke away, but add something useful! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement