Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Com Toibin

Options
  • 27-10-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

have not read any of his stuff til now
    just finished The Blackwater Lightship and have to say i was well underwhelmed
    very basic, not very interesting overall
    (i've picked up a copy of Flashman to aid my recovery, might follow it up with some PG Wodehouse)

question is, did i pick a bad first novel by the writer or is all his stuff mediocre and this dreary - clearly different strokes for different folks and all that, maybe hes just not my cup of tea

i was planning on reading Brooklyn at some point but at this point would be reluctant to invest the time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

should say, i am interested in reading contemporary irish fiction btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Best thing I have seen from CT is the play Testament, a fascinating study of the Virgin Mary's possible relationship with the apostles. Brooklyn was quite a good novel but nothing special. I did not finish The master.

I saw CT in Davy Byrne's last night (Wed) with Diarmuid Ferriter and some other historian types. Anyone know if there was a book launch or sdomething like that going on?

are you suggesting such folk only leave the house for book launches and the like?

They had a palpable air of having been at an occasion of some sort. This was at about 8.30pm, which is the sort of time people would come away from something like a book launch.

people commonly meet up for a few jars around that time also

back on topic please

• Advertisement

conno16, I cannot see why you have to quibble with something I said in perfectly good faith.

I am unfollowing this thread as soon as I have posted this.

no quibble

i just have a short patience for stereotypes frequently pushed under the noses of us writers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

conno16 wrote: »
    i was planning on reading Brooklyn at some point but at this point would be reluctant to invest the time

There was a couple of articles written about how Brooklyn was like a sub-par Maeve Binchy novel, so if that floats your boat. Haven't read him myself, none of the books appeal to me, and the more I see him on tv shows/book launches/in my back garden the more I intensely dislike the man.

Each to their own, and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

There was a couple of articles written about how Brooklyn was like a sub-par Maeve Binchy novel, so if that floats your boat. Haven't read him myself, none of the books appeal to me, and the more I see him on tv shows/book launches/in my back garden the more I intensely dislike the man.

Each to their own, and all that.

Yup, I hated Brooklyn. The text was so... incredibly simplistic. Now presumably it was intended to be that way, but I hated it. It read like a ten-year-old had written it. Add to that the weak plot and the naïveté of the lead character... I wouldn't bother, OP.

case closed on toibin so
    hes obviously a bluffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

i just have a short patience for stereotypes frequently pushed under the noses of us writers

That's why we hang out together us writers, don't worry conno you're one of us;).

I agree on Brooklyn, it was about an innocent Irish girl who took the great adventure of going abroad, had some romantic adventures then wound being torn between home & the free life. Admittedly it's a fine story for those days & those times and it sums up a large element of 20th century Irish history but I didn't find it riveting & it's far from contemporary for an Irish reader in their 20s or 30s who has grown up with the services of Ryanair.

Has Ryanair made Colm Toibin irrelevant?

future leaving cert question (or maybe a final exam question on some future FAS course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

case closed on toibin so
    hes obviously a bluffer
    One ugly bluffer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

it was about an innocent Irish girl who took the great adventure of going abroad, had some romantic adventures then wound being torn between home & the free life.

Reading the plot synopsis when it came out, it did seem like he was writing a novel that had been done countless times before. You'd have to ask what the point was, until you read the sales figures, which was probably what was going through his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

A lot of writers in the popular literary genre could be said to be over-rated. But despite this is it not better that they are putting their energies into that than say working in the Department of Agriculture or wherever?

pog it wrote: »
    A lot of writers in the popular literary genre could be said to be over-rated. But despite this is it not better that they are putting their energies into that than say working in the Department of Agriculture or wherever?
    Not particularly. I fail to see your point. And the Department of Agriculture needs employees, just like any other organisation?

Not particularly. I fail to see your point. And the Department of Agriculture needs employees, just like any other organisation?

The difference being that there are thousands of people who could work in the civil service, but not everybody can write to a high standard, or present an excellent current affairs radio programme, etc. Toibin and others could have taken the easy option but didn't. For that I applaud them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Maybe they couldn't pass the Civil Service entrance exam?

pog it wrote: »
    The difference being that there are thousands of people who could work in the civil service, but not everybody can write to a high standard, or present an excellent current affairs radio programme, etc. Toibin and others could have taken the easy option but didn't. For that I applaud them.
    I see. Your use of the word "over-rated" led me to believe that you didn't, in fact, think that Toibín, etc. write to a high standard. Hence my confusion over the meaning of your post.

I see. Your use of the word "over-rated" led me to believe that you didn't, in fact, think that Toibín, etc. write to a high standard. Hence my confusion over the meaning of your post.

Writing to a high standard and being over-rated are not necessarily incompatible. Toibin is an excellent writer, but I was disappointed with what I read given the hype surrounding him. Again, I'm glad he chose to go with writing for a career and leave the Dept of Agriculture for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Can't think of a better Irish writer than Colm Toibin, though he isn't to everyone's taste. His style, especially in The Blackwater Lightship, is very bare, spare, apparently very simple, and I found that book very hard to engage with initially. But it draws you in, the style and the story, and that's now my favourite Toibin novel, very effecting, profound.

If you didn't like that novel, though, you're not likely to enjoy any of his others. The style is the same, no flourishes, steady, simple, but dragging you along, sucking you in.

dragging me along is not how i like to spend my literary down-time..

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

I'm glad I came across this thread. I was totally unaffected in any way at all by BROOKLYN and I thought maybe it was just me.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Carraway

I though Brooklyn was a good novel, deceptively simple. You could make the same argument about the prose being too simple about McGahern or Hemingway. If you're looking for books by Toibin that are more artful I'd suggest The South or his collection of short stories The Empty Family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

There were parts of Brooklyn which would be written, word for word, by Maeve Binchy. On the other hand, he pushed out paragraphs which she couldn't possibly do - on occasion.

Advertisement