Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Alcohol Limits for towing - 20 mg

Options
  • 27-10-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭

From today, the new blood alcohol limit for someone towing a trailer is 20 mg. Thats down from 80 mg, and is very very low.
    Just in time for the hunting season!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

No wine gums for ya then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Its a disaster. Stupid law introduced by a crowd that never drank a sup out of a flask in all their lives. Grrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I actually agree with it. It's unbelievable the number of people I've seen out hunting who are drunk (I'm not talking about a swig or two from a hip flask here, I'm talking pretty durnk) while mounted, therefore putting their own safety, that of their horse, not to mention the rest of the field and other horses, at risk. Then they get into their cars/jeeps/lorries and drive home, putting other road users at risk, too. I simply don't think that's acceptable. A swig or a few from a hip flask throughout the day is fine. Being on one's way to a tipsy state before mounting is not. Neither is getting tipsy throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Whats wrong with a 50 mg limit though? I just dont understand why its so low as 20mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

fits wrote: »
    Whats wrong with a 50 mg limit though? I just dont understand why its so low as 20mg.

Safety? Reducing alcohol related accidents/deaths on the road? Even one drink can impair judgement.

• Advertisement

We are already one of the safest countries in the world for driving believe it or not. I am not for drink driving.
    I am all for reasonable limits which are enforced. with this you'd be worried about taking a cough bottle. And you know what, I very much doubt that a 20mg limit for towers, will make much of a difference compared to 50 mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

convert wrote: »
    Safety? Reducing alcohol related accidents/deaths on the road? Even one drink can impair judgement.

You sound like Gay Byrne. The whole thing is shagged when one can't drink a few hot whiskeys or take a few sups of a flask while out hunting anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Why should hunting be treated any differently than other pursuits. So if I like athletics and train for a cross-country or marathon should I be allowed take a few swigs from a hip flask during the day and not be restricted in my driving as you seem to imply for those on horseback?

^ What bizarre logic!

Its not about hunting being treated any differently. This particular law is nothing to do with hunting, or even horseriding. It merely affects many people who tow horseboxes as well as other trailers.

As i said, I have nothing against a 50 mg limit, but will feel unable to drink anything at all the night before an early start with the horse now. There is simply no margin of error. And I dont think it will have any perceptible benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Like convert said, even one drink can impair your judgement and reactions. I also agree with the law. Towing horseboxes shouldn't be done with any amount of drink in my opinion, as the risk to your horse is increased, not just from crashes but doing something silly such as taking a corner too fast and putting the horse off travelling for life

• Advertisement

As I said before, I dont condone drink driving, but I just dont now where this ever-increasing regulation will stop. Will they ban horse riding altogether. That would save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

As I said before, I dont condone drink driving, but I just dont now where this ever-increasing regulation will stop. Will they ban horse riding altogether. That would save lives.

What's the towing limit got to do with horse riding though? I don't see how decreasing the alcohol limit would effect riding

sup_dude wrote: »
    What's the towing limit got to do with horse riding though? I don't see how decreasing the alcohol limit would effect riding

It doesnt. Its a ridiculous suggestion.

Designed to reflect the ridiculous things done in the name of 'elf and safety'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

It doesnt. Its a ridiculous suggestion.
    Designed to reflect the ridiculous things done in the name of 'elf and safety'.

Nothing to do with 'elf and safety' gone mad. Here's a more likely reason - any vechicle towing is now heavier and also has the added hazard of instability. If a driver is drink impaired, drives too fast or makes a bad decision in a critical scenario - the combined weight or instability may have a more serious outcome.

I know of one fatality where a pedestrian was hit by a trailer. The fatality wasnt caused by the moving car a few feet in front of the trailer but the unstable trailer at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

Alcohol is a drug and I do not believe anybody should be under the influence of a drug while driving, period. It doesn't matter how little you drink it still impares your judgment which is bad enough while driving a car, never mind pulling a box.

Well I disagree with such a low limit that is all.

I wonder how this will affect people who dont have the correct EB license in the first place. Is it a case of 'if you aint got nuthin, you aint got nuthin to lose'?

Advertisement