Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When Does your voice finally settle?

• 27-10-2011 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭

Ok so basically I'm 21, was always a baritone and when I was around 16 I was getting vocal coaching because I intended on studying drama after school.

One thing led to another and I ended up doing journalism (no regrets)

Anyway I'll get to the point. When I was being coached my range was never that high, point in case I was Jesus (I've always had a very strong falsetto) in a school production of JCS but I'd often try and sing Heaven on Their Minds with Judas for ****s and giggles and fail miserably

I always sang and played guitar in bands but gave up for a year last year because of a heavy work load in college, I wasn't even singing that much in private

Anyway I eventually started rehearsing with a new band recently and I'm amazed at how my range has increased, not only can I manage songs like 'Sir Duke' and other high range pop songs but I reckon I'd be able to play Judas in JCS now without much trouble

Is it possible that I've become a tenor over the last two years and can I expect my vocal range to increase as I get older?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Dude, everyone's voice changes. Especially during the teenage years! Don't be surprised if your range increases but do mind it still. It's great to be able to reach notes you never did before but be careful you dont force the vocal chords just yet.

During the transitional years funny things can happen to the voice, just go with it. I used to be a soprano hitting top Cs and Ds for years... Now I'm 23 and a fully fledged Mezzo, my most comfortable area is G above middle C! Haha!

Don't worry, just keep looking after your voice, you'll know your strongest areas soon... ALSO! Take note of your actually speaking voice. If there's a nice bit of top end/treble in there-kiss the baritone restrictions good bye my friend :)

Advertisement