Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Dog Business ???

Options
  • 27-10-2011 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I have a hot dog cart which I got from the USA earlier this year to start a business selling hot dogs. The problem is I work full time as well and didnt have the time to progress it. Ive made good profit when i took it out but was never sure if I could fill a week with enough business??
    I just wanted to know if people think its a good idea. I was always afraid to quit my job and and take the risk!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I wouldn't be leaving a full time job. Perhaps you could rent it out on a daily rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 joeglynn703

Yeah my thinking is the same. Its just what to do with a 5k hot dog rig :)
    I wouldnt have the first clue how to rent it out though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You need a casual trading permit I think. Without one guards can move you on or confiscate the stand if they are in a bad mood.

Yes thtas also true but all my events have been on private land like pubs and beer gardens and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Wedding business is big. Perhaps you could hire out for afters in the evening after the meal and people get hungry again.

Or people having private parties could hire you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Have you any friends who are unemployed(retorical question), why don't you ask one of those to man your cart and you could pay them a wage or even a commission based on events they book into etc..........

Look for a partner in this business as you have put in the capital but are not willing to put in the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Have one of these myself - could just never get it going - could never find a suitable spot to trade from so now its just sitting gathering dust. Thought it was gonna be a real money-spinner and had everything else ready except somewhere to sell the damn things!! I don't have the time to have it out myself but getting someone to run it for me would be simple.

Its some job of one you have... I just have the "Teenie Weenie" as they call it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have you tried the sporting events? It says you're based in Kilkenny, Dublin is too far for you to travel to work?

Soccer - internationals, league of ireland
    Rugby - Leinster and internationals
    GAA - League and championship games.
    Horse Racing - Punchestown, Curragh & leopardstown

That's just sporting events and you wouldn't even have to be in their venues to get customers, people would be passing you on the way in/out.

I'd be focused on making good hot dogs and have good condiments, not the cheap rubbish you generally see. You want to create a memorable experience so that you can get some interaction going on your social media outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I'd be focused on making good hot dogs and have good condiments, not the cheap rubbish you generally see. You want to create a memorable experience so that you can get some interaction going on your social media outlets.

Absolutely - no point in selling cheap muck and contributing to the stigma that street vendors already have. With all those spare containers you have on that beast you could have onions, jalapenos, mixed chillis and pickles as an option - I found with mine that only having two bain maries meant I could only have dogs and onions going.

In terms of the sausages - I never liked the 5th avenue stuff... skinny & bitter tasting sausage and tough bread. Customer service is down in the dumps also. In case anyone is interested I have a great supplier in Dundalk. They make their own hot dogs (non-frozen!) and they are brilliant - good thick ones with loads of flavour - They are called the German Salami Company. I think it was €72 for a box of 144... i might be wrong. The also do lovely mustard - they import it from germany its a mild and very slightly sweet mustard that goes well for Irish Palates.

As far as ketchup goes - just get heinz, all else is muck, the price isn't that vastly different and your customer will thank you for it. I got my pre-sliced buns frozen from McLoughlin Frozen food for €18 box/72

Another thing i'd suggest - try to imitate a slightly more viscous version of Subway's Southwestern Sauce as an extra option- it'll get you a good rep with your customers, and they'll remember you. If they like it enough they'll seek you out on facebook/twitter afterwards and sing your praises.

• Advertisement
Advertisement