Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grainger's of Baldoyle in trouble.....

Options
  • 27-10-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I see a receiver has been appointed by AIB to Grainger's in Baldoyle and the Sheaf O Wheat in Coolock. Pity. Wonder who'll buy those pubs in this environment......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yup. It closed last week. The writing was on the wall for a while. They even tried to do €5 meals to get punters back in but to no avail. Hopefully it won't affect the last remaining Grainger pub on Malahide Road.

As for someone buying, the Pier House in Howth still isn't sold after about a year and the hotel in Howth village doesn't look like being sold in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ricekrispie

Hadn;t realised it had shut altogether. What's the one on Malahide Road they own too? It looked like the Pier House was sale agreed for a few weeks and then went back to for sale. Always thought that should be a good spot for a decent pub/food place, but I suppose it's tough making anything work right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Hadn;t realised it had shut altogether. What's the one on Malahide Road they own too? It looked like the Pier House was sale agreed for a few weeks and then went back to for sale. Always thought that should be a good spot for a decent pub/food place, but I suppose it's tough making anything work right now.

Its another graingers - near the junction of griffiths avenue - used to be my local.

Malahide Road is the same family, however I don't know if and how linked they are and wouldn't like to speculate (idly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Rumor was Graingers had agreed a deal for the Pier house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Any link to the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ricekrispie

Vanbis wrote: »
    Rumor was Graingers had agreed a deal for the Pier house.

Don't know where that came from. I doubt Graingers would have been in such a position after the fire incident a few years ago. It never quite recovered from that.

The only thing I know or have heard about the Pier House was the sale was almost agreed. The potential buyer was successful businessman in a similar sector up north who moved into the area next door to a friend of mine. It fell through near the final hurdle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was in there on Tuesday night for the first time ever after living near there for the last 2 years. Feel bad I didn't go there more often now, the barman was very friendly and it wasn't as bad inside as I thought. Only ever seen the other side with the big screen. I only heard the next day about this, shame as I intended going there more often after my visit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

tricky D wrote: »
    Malahide Road is the same family, however I don't know if and how linked they are and wouldn't like to speculate (idly).

Afaik it is a brother so probably trading under a different company but open to correction

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Graingers-Pubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

tricky D wrote: »
    Yup. It closed last week. The writing was on the wall for a while. They even tried to do €5 meals to get punters back in but to no avail. Hopefully it won't affect the last remaining Grainger pub on Malahide Road.

As for someone buying, the Pier House in Howth still isn't sold after about a year and the hotel in Howth village doesn't look like being sold in the near future.

The Pierhouse was bought about a month ago. It will be opening back up early next year, the person who bought it just wants to do it up a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Drove past today, it looked open to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is the Sheaf also closed?

I used to work there, but before Graingers took it over.

Used to drink down in the Malahide Road one every Friday and Saturday night for about 2 years, when there'd be a dj upstairs and it used to be packed, that was before Barcode though.

In my opinion, they ruined the Sheaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

alkev wrote: »
    Drove past today, it looked open to me.

The bank employed its own staff to run it to see if it was still a viable business.

Yes Des, as far as I know, the Sheaf is closed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

The sheaf is not closed my neighbour is a barman in the pub, he said the bank cut all the hours and put all the staff on minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Surprised that this pub was not profitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

This thread is a year old, Locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement