Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Boy and All Girls Schools

Options
  • 27-10-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into a new school for my daughter (6 years old). Are there any All Girl schools in the city? Would anyone recommend that form of education here? I have two friends that attend primary and secondary all-girl schools and they are both quite well educated and have a great careers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I'm pretty sure there are no All Girls or All Boys primary schools in galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

St.Pats school at the bottom of shop street opposite supermacs on cross street is an all boys primary school but I dont know of any others in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Amik wrote: »
    I'm looking into a new school for my daughter (6 years old). Are there any All Girl schools in the city? Would anyone recommend that form of education here? I have two friends that attend primary and secondary all-girl schools and they are both quite well educated and have a great careers.
    I think you will find that they are well educated because of a whole raft of scenarios and not because of a single sex school. It wouldn't be something I would really give much weight to when deciding on a school.

Religion may be the reason, if it is "God help ya"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Think the Mercy in Eglinton St is all girls after 1st class and maybe Scoil Róis in Taylors Hill. Most are co ed nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The national school in Mervue is technically two different schools, one boys and one girls. I have no idea if they operate that way, though.

Personally I'd generally recommend single-sex for girls at secondary school level anyway. It gives them far better chances for leadership and less distractions. And they can learn to mix with boys etc through part time jobs etc.

But that advice is tempered by what the particular child needs.

OP, if you think that your particular daughter would be better at an all-girls school, then keep looking for one no matter what other people say. There ARE some kids who single sex is better for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Scoil ide in Salthill (green uniforms) is all girls school from 1st class to 6th class. It is a brilliant school. My sister and her daughters (my nieces) went there. All went on to Salerno secondary afterwards.

Great discipline and work ethos.

Advertisement