Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should everyone have the right to vote?

• 27-10-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Does anybody think that there should be some extra criteria that people should meet in order to be eligible to cast a vote in an election?

I've heard today of people voting for Dana "for the laugh" which brought up a question which I have brought up before numerous times, be it never online:

Should people be required to pass some kind of exam in order to have a right to vote?

This would never in a million years happen but I think it's an interesting idea. It seems that a lot of people just don't know enough about politics/electing officials in order to make an informed and sensible decision. I definitely didn't know enough in the general election but I voted anyway and thus contributed to the probably vast amount of votes which were cast just for the sake of it.

Although the presidential election isn't that important imo there are still 2 referendums that we have to vote for and I'd wager a large sum that a lot of people at the voting stations didn't even know about them til they got there and an even larger number of people hadn't read a single thing about them.

Or does everyone have the right to vote no matter what their reason for voting is? if there is any reason at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

yes, everyone should vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Is it Australia where you must vote, otherwise you get fined. Would like that introduced here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Maybe voting should be compulsory, but with the option of ticking an official "none of the above" box. As tempting as it sometimes is, banning idiots from voting isn't a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Is it Australia where you must vote, otherwise you get fined. Would like that introduced here.

Yeah voting is compulsory for every Australian citizen aged 18 years or older. Great idea-should be brought in here

In answer to the OPs question -no there should be no test for voters -it would be open to too much abuse. If prospective voters are not informed well enough then the politicians are not doing their job properly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anyone who has voted for FF consistently in this and the last three elections should be disenfranchised until they've been to see a shrink.

They would have to be able to rationally explain their reasons, any hint of "that's the way I've always voted" and they can apply for a polling card in another five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Anyone who has voted for FF consistently in this and the last three elections should be disenfranchised until they've been to see a shrink.

They would have to be able to rationally explain their reasons, any hint of "that's the way I've always voted" and they can apply for a polling card in another five years.

same for sf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

leggit wrote: »
    Does anybody think that there should be some extra criteria that people should meet in order to be eligible to cast a vote in an election?

I've heard today of people voting for Dana "for the laugh" which brought up a question which I have brought up before numerous times, be it never online:

Should people be required to pass some kind of exam in order to have a right to vote?

This would never in a million years happen but I think it's an interesting idea. It seems that a lot of people just don't know enough about politics/electing officials in order to make an informed and sensible decision. I definitely didn't know enough in the general election but I voted anyway and thus contributed to the probably vast amount of votes which were cast just for the sake of it.

Although the presidential election isn't that important imo there are still 2 referendums that we have to vote for and I'd wager a large sum that a lot of people at the voting stations didn't even know about them til they got there and an even larger number of people hadn't read a single thing about them.

Or does everyone have the right to vote no matter what their reason for voting is? if there is any reason at all?

It's a free country and they can vote any way they like and who ever they like for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buataisi

If there was a competence test, most people would fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Buataisi wrote: »
    If there was a competence test, most people would fail.

Still though, I think it'd benefit the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

We should introduce a red card system. You don't vote in one election then you aren't allowed to in the next.

Obviously needs to be qualified such as holding elections on weekends to allow most people the opportunity to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Did the people who said they're voting for the laugh actually bother going up voting? At the end of the day, in a democracy everybody should be given the right to vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

'for the laugh' sounds like a protest vote to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I voted. As a taxpayer, I felt it a duty. However making it compulsory would be removing a passive means of protest against the State. Having 100% of the electorate vote smacks of social engineering on a mass scale.

Advertisement