Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damp

Options
  • 27-10-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

hi.does anyone else have problems with condensation/damp in charlesland? especially in the bedroom.
    ive noticed mould on celing in back bedroom in a couple of areas.also the windows get heavy condensation that pools on the sill.any body any tips/solutions?ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It has been discussed a few times on here about this scenario. Of course each house is different and it may not be the same issue as the next house.

If you have staining on the ceiling, then condensation is probably occuring (unless there is a leak coming from above) and turning into mould. To reduce the potential of cold surfaces, your ceiling 'should' be well insulated. Reduce cold bridging where possible. The relative humidity levels can get high, particularly if you dry clothes in that part of the house or have the extract fan switched off when using the shower. Houses should have adequate ventilation to remove water vapour and reduce the humidity. Are the vents closed?

There can be other factors which exacerbate the problem. If you are duly concerned, send a PM!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+ 1 to the above.

If the bedroom in question is not on the ground floor then you can be almost 100% certain it is not damp.
    Drying clothes on radiators with windows closed would be the type of thing that could lead to this happening.

I have come across a home in Charlesland that had no damp course installed in part of the house :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

2011 wrote: »
    + 1 to the above.

If the bedroom in question is not on the ground floor then you can be almost 100% certain it is not damp.
    Drying clothes on radiators with windows closed would be the type of thing that could lead to this happening.

I have come across a home in Charlesland that had no damp course installed in part of the house :eek:
    no its the back bedroom upstairs.mostly the celing.3 diffrent spots bout the size of a dinner plate.greeny speckled mould.its defo damp.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Maudi wrote: »
    no its the back bedroom upstairs.mostly the celing.3 diffrent spots bout the size of a dinner plate.greeny speckled mould.its defo damp.
    I should have been clearer, my bad. IMHO it is not rising damp as the room is upstairs.

Have a read of this

I think it is an issue with moisture in the air/ventilation that you have.

• Advertisement

Without seeing the actual problem, there can be a number of factors. One thing that comes to mind is the way you heat the house. If you whack the heat on for a short period in the monring with the radiators on full, the air in the room will heat up, more mositure willbe held, but the walls, ceilling, windows etc will still be much cooler and the moisture in the air will condensate.

To counteract this, have the heat on low for a longer period.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Hi Maudi,

I can vouch for the Astrofluffs advice. I was having the very same problem as you. We insulated part of the attic that clearly were not covered and we replaced the extractor fan in the bathroom. This worked!

Advertisement