Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom Anthems is s***e

Options
  • 27-10-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I can't be the only one out there to hate the all new Phantom Anthems. What used to be guaranteed indie, is now sh**e remixes of indie.

In the "About Phantom" section of their website they state:

"Our formula is simple – we don’t play disposable rubbish!"

I'm afraid with Phantom Anthems you do! Now I've nothing against Tim, but I hate the music he plays and don't think it's appropriate for Phantom, the "Indie Rock" station. I've tried to listen to it a couple of times, but it just makes me angry.

Anyone else agree with me? Is it just another sign of a Spin coup d'etat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

When I first heard it, I had to check the dial as I thought I tuned into Spin by mistake!!
    Couldn't believe it's phantom. Not my cup tea at all, and didn't think it would be for phantom.
    Maybe it's management trying to gain new listeners?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

I find it strange. Indie is main stream now, so why have a show of dodgy dance remixes of indie tracks? Maybe if they broadeded thier play list and kept the station fresh, they'd be making the most of the indie wave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Have to say I love it, I was googling it and found this thread, they said you can now list to it for a week after it is on. But then I love house music and indie, love grimshaw on bbc radio one, fresh good pop music is cool in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Abceire, that's fair enough, but surely there are other radio stations that would be better suited to Tim's playlist? Phantom is meant to be an Indie Rock station.

Like you don't hear blondie rapture on any other dance shows or friday or saturday night shows on other radio stations. So while it is different style a bit to be on Phantom, it is not too similar to other friday or saturday night shows on other radio stations. I suppose if it's not popular with listeners then it won't last.
    I can't see them wanting to go more main stream as there are enough of them stations out there already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 hichcock

Tim rocks

i hated it at first when they shifted the perfect Fri schedule with Cinerama followed by powerhouse and dont forget they tried that vogue one but thankfully she didn't work out

i now hum rock steady crew . cant get it out of my head

sad but good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

Sorry OP, I disagree. It's not all remixes and "indie" is very hard to define.

I was a bit put off at first because I was not expecting it, but the show has grown on me enormously. To me, it's possibly the best show on phantom. The Far Side is also consistently good. The selection of music on Anthems from across decades and genres goes above and beyond the standard "indie disco" show. Thankfully this show doesn't seem to suffer much from the scourge of the "playlist" either.

Really hope this show isn't cut with all the changes going on to the rest of the weekend line-up.

krafty wrote: »
    Sorry OP, I disagree. It's not all remixes and "indie" is very hard to define.

I was a bit put off at first because I was not expecting it, but the show has grown on me enormously. To me, it's possibly the best show on phantom. The Far Side is also consistently good. The selection of music on Anthems from across decades and genres goes above and beyond the standard "indie disco" show. Thankfully this show doesn't seem to suffer much from the scourge of the "playlist" either.

Really hope this show isn't cut with all the changes going on to the rest of the weekend line-up.

I went away and came back a year later, phantom were still playing alot of the same stuff 12 months later, there is a good range of stuff on this show though.
    Listening to it last night on my way into town and fricken loved it!

Advertisement