Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are UPC Routers Interchangeable

• 27-10-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has tried this before.

My sister-in-law has just got UPC 25Mb and is having trouble with her laptop, which is a few years old. It could be either, but I won't be anywhere near her to check it all in action, and she's coming down here this weekend, and is bringing the laptop so I can have a look (which will probably work fine!).

My question is, if she brings her router with her, will it work in my house (I have the 50Mb with the Thompson router, hers is the Cisco) or will they only work where there meant to?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Pelluci.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Could be tied to the cab in the estate alright... only one way to find out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Firstly, each cable modem has a unique MAC address, which is tied to your own connection, so no, it wont work.

Secondly, you have the 50mb service, which is out of the Cisco modems specs, so again, no, not going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it actually think that it *might* work. :)

i remember seeing a thread from ages ago where someone was having disconnection issues and had tested their cisco modem on another users UPC connnection and visa versa and it authenticated and was working properly, but they may have been neighbours on the same network segment, but I honestly can't say for sure if it was or not, only that h/she said it worked.

the other thing is, EuroDOCSIS v3.0 IS actually (definitely) backwards compatible with v2.0 kit as when the 100mbps and 50mbps was being rolled out first, several people who did self installs with the 50mbps reported on threads here that their upload speeds had already increased to the new higher speeds with the cisco routers before their new routers arrived, even tho their download was still topping out at 30mbps.

feck it, its worth a shot anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

It'll sync, but there will be no connection. It'll show the selfservice page whenever you try access something. Tried the exact same myself a few months back.

I'd be surprised if it does work for you, but try it anyway though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

roast wrote: »
    It'll sync, but there will be no connection. It'll show the selfservice page whenever you try access something. Tried the exact same myself a few months back.

I'd be surprised if it does work for you, but try it anyway though. :)
    meh, maybe they changed something then in the last couple of years. it was a good while ago i saw that thread anyway, so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I brought my modem to my mothers house to confirm that the area had broadband availability. It worked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They could be locking the modems to a particular area though, which would stop it working if you move any distance. There is only one way to be sure though, and it either will work or won't, plus you'll find out quickly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

roast wrote: »
    Firstly, each cable modem has a unique MAC address, which is tied to your own connection, so no, it wont work.

Secondly, you have the 50mb service, which is out of the Cisco modems specs, so again, no, not going to work.

The MAC address is tied into a customers account not the connection.
    If the OP is on a part of the network capable of 50mb then the 25mb modem will work fine. If you tried to run the 50mb modem on a network area not released for that speed, then you'll have an issue.

The only thing you may find is that the d/s and u/s sync may take a few minutes. I use a modem in numerous locations daily without issue, so should you OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

jor el wrote: »
    They could be locking the modems to a particular area though, which would stop it working if you move any distance. There is only one way to be sure though, and it either will work or won't, plus you'll find out quickly enough.
    I've heard modems being moved to other addresses mentioned on boards several times in the past. People taking modems from Galway and using them in Dublin and so forth. Or using it as a way to check availability of broadband when NTL's own systems would mysteriously say not available for one cabled house out of an entire street.

There was a mention before of modems being tied to a particular "region" or network but I'm pretty sure even Galway ones work in Dublin once the username details are correct and bills paid etc. Perhaps not so for Cork and Dublin for example as those networks were integrated more recently.

Advertisement