Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We have Mice

• 27-10-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Despite having 2 dogs and 2 cats in the house, we have, it seems, a mouse who likes to visit and poke around in the treat press. I have cleaned out all of the presses in the kitchen and it was only in that one I found "evidence" of mice.

It seems to be the only place they have access to as the pipes from the washing machine come in through the back wall there. While it seems totally blocked, I can't think of another way they're getting in. And it would make sense as to why this is the only place I've found mousy signs.

I have the press cleared out, I am considering leaving it open tonight, hoping if our nightly visitor comes in and meets 2 dogs instead of the motherload of treats, they might not come back. Or am I just giving them easy access to the rest of my kitchen?

I reckon with the amount of food within easy access there is a very fat and happy family of mice around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Have you an oil burner outside? If so builders tended to leave a gaping hole in the wall into the house behind the burner you'll need to fill this with some expanding foam. Mice have free rain to the cavity once this hasn't been blocked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Make sure every little nook and cranny on the exterior is filled with expansion foam.

Keep all the dog food/treats in sealed plastic boxes so the mice have no access to food,put down a few wooden snap traps baited with peanut butter inside the press overnight and see what you find in the morning.

I definitely wouldn't leave the press open,chances are if the mice haven't been caught by your dogs and cats yet,then they won't be caught now,leaving the press open will only give them more places in the kitchen to hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

They haven't been in the rest of the kitchen. Once they get into that press there is nowhere for them to go and no access out of it, except for the way they came in. That's why I thought it might work if I left the door open for the dogs to poke their noses in if there is noise. But you're right, I don't want them in the rest of my kitchen!

Everything is out of the press and my house reeks of bleach (has to be the worst smell in the world?) so if they come in tonight they'll be disappointed.

Will get some foam tonight. Thanks.

Advertisement