Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BATTLEFIELD 3---28/10/11/---Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Decryptor wrote: »
    The one thing I'm worried about (from more people giving out about Origin) is that you have to download the game (11 GB download, on PC) even after using the game DVD.

Is this true? I'm stuck with 3 broadband, so that would take at least a day to download.

No, it's not. Many people seem to think it's that way because when it's installing it says, "Downloading" in Origin but it's actually just getting files from disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I am playing it on the PC and I have to say I think it's the most enjoyable and atmospheric multiplayer shooter game I have played in a good while .

The problems with Amazon I think were to do with them screwing up the deliveries so a good few didn't get it yesterday and therefore probably won't get it until Monday . TBH I think they are justified to be ranting over this , you go to all the trouble of pre-ordering with Amazon you don't want to miss the entire opening weekend . It has happened to two of the guys on teamspeak and they are fairly pi**ed off over it .

Does it have problems/bugs ??? , well if it didn't the shock would probably have killed me , especially it coming from the EA stable . We should be well used to that now and tbf we only have ourselves to blame for allowing software companies get away with it down through the years ..... but thats a debate for a different thread and a different day .

If you like the Battlefield series and it's gameplay but wanted it to look and feel a bit more like Call of Duty then you would do worse than to give this a go .

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Headshot wrote: »
    pc version takes ages to get into a game

Not for me it doesn't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

4 of us played squad deathmatch. All 4 of us were On vent too. Then two more clans with 3 people each joined and a few randomers.

Omfg it was epic! 2 engineers 1 medic and one support. We all played as a team! Got positions we defended, each of us watching different points. Everyone doing theyr role with chosen class. By the looks of it other teams did same!!! It were epic 5 games!!!

I know people love BF as big conquest map madness, but for me tight squad play with people. I know over vent is the best BF experience!!!

Started campaing now. First mission was really cool! I can't believe my pc is able to run this bad boy on such settings!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Guru3D have a great piece on graphics settings. Even on low there's still plenty of eye candy to see. For everyone with FPS issues turn off AA and and HBAO. Apparently they're murdering machines, AA more than it normally does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

No, it's not. Many people seem to think it's that way because when it's installing it says, "Downloading" in Origin but it's actually just getting files from disk.
    Good stuff, thanks!
    jonski wrote: »
    The problems with Amazon I think were to do with them screwing up the deliveries so a good few didn't get it yesterday and therefore probably won't get it until Monday . TBH I think they are justified to be ranting over this , you go to all the trouble of pre-ordering with Amazon you don't want to miss the entire opening weekend . It has happened to two of the guys on teamspeak and they are fairly pi**ed off over it .
    Yeah, there were giving out about delivery but now it's clearly over Origin. Not sure what started it all off though, the EULA seems fine to me. Maybe they changed something in it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

MikeD22 wrote: »
    I have the game and played single player fine. i cannot get online tho. I've activated my EA account but still nothing. Is there a certain setting for my internet that i need to change to get it online??

On a PS3 and had same problem with bad company 2 all other online games work fine.

Anyone help me out with this???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MikeD22 wrote: »
    Anyone help me out with this???

Changing the UPnP setting on your router may have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

just a quick question

on the stinger missiles, how many does it take to shoot down a jet or chopper?

Also is there a quicker way to lock on to the jet?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

pc version takes ages to get into a game

Takes about 15 seconds for me mate once i click "join"

What spec you running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just a quick question

on the stinger missiles, how many does it take to shoot down a jet or chopper?

Also is there a quicker way to lock on to the jet?

thats a mutli layered question :D

I think going from beta it takes one stinger shot to put a jet at 50% which makes them disabled. which you get 100 points for but it doesnt count as a kill

a 2nd stinger kills them and you get 50 points for destroying the jet and 100 for killing the pilot.

If the jet doesnt have extinguishers unlocked they will not survive once disabled (helicopter can land and repair) as they will lose health constantly until the plane crashes and because being disabled means you almost entirely lose control of the jet you will not be able to land.

Locking on depends on your opponent. Some pilots might have stealth or below radar on which increases the lock on time dramatically making it quite hard to get a land based stinger lock. If they have neither on then its much easier to lock on and get the kill.

I havnt done much stinger work in the full game yet so I cant say if its def 1 = 50% but from being hit while in a jet it does make me disabled with one hit. But its much easier in this then the beta to avoid stingers as stealth is working properly now. (though it drags out air battles considerable.)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Spear wrote: »
    Changing the UPnP setting on your router may have an effect.

How would i do that?

Dcully wrote: »
    Takes about 15 seconds for me mate once i click "join"

What spec you running?

lol 15 secs lol

wait for it

It takes me 1 min 20 seconds to get into the actually game

how bad is that

my specs are i5, 2 gtx 570, 4gb ram and windows 32bit

I think its the ram and windows letting me down and causing the crashing even thou I thought was gone its very much there still :(

I have the same amount of ram (weaker card 560 ti) and windows 64bit.

It did take forever for me to join initially but I tweaked my gfx and now it takes about 20 seconds. I can post my changes for you if you want to see if they help you too?

Here it is.

I'm gonna order a chunk more ram so I can put my resolution back up I can run on all ULTRA in the single player at this resolution, but in multiplayer I find it takes ages to load. So I dropped everything down for a much smoother game. Still tweaking here and there, but start with this for much quicker loading times and adjust as more info comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

On rank 5 now.. 3 hours played lol.

Great multiplayer experience.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Here it is.

I'm gonna order a chunk more ram so I can put my resolution back up I can run on all ULTRA in the single player at this resolution, but in multiplayer I find it takes ages to load. So I dropped everything down for a much smoother game. Still tweaking here and there, but start with this for much quicker loading times and adjust as more info comes out.

thanks Blitz ill give them a shot

btw what is the normal res of you monitor ?

its a samsung hdtv so I leave it at 1600X900 normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

KeithAFC wrote: »
    On rank 5 now.. 3 hours played lol.

Great multiplayer experience.

ranking really takes a bit of time. i played alot today and i am only rank10 :D

i am playing alot of squad deathmatch too, so i guess i get less xp in there.

p.s. lads if you got some lialias constantly ninjaing tank in SD, then on next spawn drop mines just in front of it, then leave it alone. after getting 2-3kill plus xp for killing a tank destruction i made them take it back to infantry war trolololol! :D

whats the best mode for xp?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The Stinger missile is a beast. I love how you just disable the tank and it doesn't blow up straight away.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/battlereport/show/865785/1/172841481/

hehehehe...we lost but I had without a doubt the best round in a long time.

The US LAV is a beast both as AA and as a general f*ck you up vehicle.

If you get near an enemy tank and its open space you can actually drive around it in circles and just blow it up with constant aa fire.

I had no xp on the lav before this match, i ended up unlocking both smoke and AA missiles in my first go and then belt speed on my 2nd go.

Its a monster much better then the soviet equivalent.

highlight though is shooting down a helicopter which lands repairs itself, but I chased it down and rammed it while the engie was repairing it. Killed the engie as roadkill and killed the helicopter pilot with a face full of lead.

Most satisfying round ever.

that was until the very next game where (again thanks to mossey's advice) I used optics and was able to shoot down a helicopter with the main cannon of a t-90. seriously never saw something more satisfying in the game, the aiming, the chopper turning to fire at me, the moment stillness as I watch my shell fly through the air and hit it bang on in the cockpit...so very very satisfying. A memory forever stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Cant install the HD content on 360 because my console has a memory unit not a hard drive. WTF!?

lads I hope its okay to ask this here since its very clear that I need more ram because of the very slow loading

my current ram is 4GB-KIT Mushkin Silverline Stiletto PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24

can anyone recommend 8gb ram please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Right , here is my basic specs and I am ingame in around 30 seconds max so I can't see how it's your rig thats causing it .

I let the game choose the graphics settings , it set everything to "High" and the multiplayer runs smooth enough .

AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 3.2 GHz, 6 MB L3 Cache, AM3 socket - 125W - Black Edition (HDZ955FBGMBOX)
    ASUS M4A77T/USB3 - AM3 Socket - 770 Chipset - ATX
    Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Windows 7 32 bit .

jonski wrote: »
    Right , here is my basic specs and I am ingame in around 30 seconds max so I can't see how it's your rig thats causing it .

I let the game choose the graphics settings , it set everything to "High" and the multiplayer runs smooth enough .

AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 3.2 GHz, 6 MB L3 Cache, AM3 socket - 125W - Black Edition (HDZ955FBGMBOX)
    ASUS M4A77T/USB3 - AM3 Socket - 770 Chipset - ATX
    Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9 Memory Kit
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Windows 7 32 bit .

hmm that is fair strange then. Playing with cherry and he's already killing people while im still loading

its fair ****ing irritating

We thought it was ram but reading your post im not sure what to think

What about internet connection then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've already clocked up 1/5th of the total time I spent on BC2. Nuff said :D

Just 124 second video of my loading lol

how bad is that

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rcazzy

Just 124 second video of my loading lol

how bad is that

Think this is a common issue. Recall seeing it on Battlelog with some ideas for fixing it if you haven't tried already.

• Advertisement

rcazzy wrote: »
    Think this is a common issue. Recall seeing it on Battlelog with some ideas for fixing it if you haven't tried already.

shoot away rcazzy

Advertisement