Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BATTLEFIELD 3---28/10/11/---Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

I put BF3 on my ssd, takes about 10-15 seconds to load a game from start, but i get ingame and takes 30 seconds or before i can move my character :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Headshot wrote: »

We thought it was ram but reading your post im not sure what to think

What about internet connection then?

Eircom NGB 8Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rashers10

Played a good 7 hours on Friday night. Here are my impressions (360).
    Multiplayer is good, but I don't see it being a massive leap forward from Bad Company 2 (and it's a step back graphically on the 360 anyway).

Not getting much lag. Rooms are stable once I get into them but getting into them with a group of friends is a real struggle.

Overall, It's a nice break from CoD and Gears but I'm not blown away. Hopefully a few patches will tighten it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Celticfire

WTF is going on.... second day in a row can't connect to servers, connection to EA lost...... PS3. Pain in the hole to get a game online..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Celticfire wrote: »
    WTF is going on.... second day in a row can't connect to servers, connection to EA lost...... PS3. Pain in the hole to get a game online..
    I haven't been able to get online since I bought the game :-/ keep getting a blank screen before the match starts and a loading box but nothing happens.....ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

first impressions, im up to level 6:

sick of dying, in particular sick of squad spawning to death within 1 second.

sick of being killed and not seeing the eprson shooting.

sick of being blinded by the flash add on(it works)

sick of bigger maps lagging my pc

sick of crashes to desktop

everything else so far... fooking love it!!!! cant put it down despite the above complaints

lag on the servers is very bad and those flash lights are idiotic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

lag on the servers is very bad and those flash lights are idiotic

Thats the thing, the flashlights only have a purpose in narrow tunnels (like in the subway in Operation metro) they really can blind the player. But I have no bloody clue why people use them every where else? it just gives your position away :pac:

copeyhagen wrote: »
    first impressions, im up to level 6:

sick of dying, in particular sick of squad spawning to death within 1 second.

sick of being killed and not seeing the eprson shooting.

sick of being blinded by the flash add on(it works)

sick of bigger maps lagging my pc

sick of crashes to desktop

everything else so far... fooking love it!!!! cant put it down despite the above complaints

Yeah, I know what you mean.
    I felt the exact same as you when playing the beta. I think it just takes getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Why can't I check my ping? I'm finding this really annoying. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Some people are really good pilots on this game.

How can i view the stats of a gun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Some people are really good pilots on this game.

I would be one of them.

I've been playing a lot of maps with helicopters and I've gotten the hang of them now, same with jets but get shít all kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

God this game is frustrating.. especially playing on your own.. seem to always end up on a team of absolute numpties. Impossible to shoot down the planes once they get flares, guessing its not as big a problem on PC since im sure you'd have more than 1 guy shooting at the damn things !

Starting to get a hang of the choppers and jets tho, they're very fun once you do it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

How can i view the stats of a gun?

When your viewing the weapon in customization, for the PS3 it's the triangle button if I'm correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just spent an hour with it there, it's an awful lot of fun and much better than that awful 'beta' would have left people to believe. My only real beef so far is the prominence of the K/D stat as this can really discourage team work and people taking risks as they seek to, as in COD, protect their ratio. Camping and staying out of harms way by not taking points often follow.

I really adore the game, one of the best mp games iv played since cod4

The only downsides are the brutal lag on the servers, the spawning is dreadful even in tdm 16 player servers, flash light, lack of impact of rpg's sometimes

All easily fixed tbh

Once they get the spawning and lag sorted ill he over moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

Just spent an hour with it there, it's an awful lot of fun and much better than that awful 'beta' would have left people to believe. My only real beef so far is the prominence of the K/D stat as this can really discourage team work and people taking risks as they seek to, as in COD, protect their ratio. Camping and staying out of harms way by not taking points often follow.

I find BF all about your squad. I just got 21/6 K/D and finished with quarter the points compared to another player on the team that didn't kill one person! :eek: If that is not enough to turn players off going rambo style, I don't know what would. Definitely a nice change from the "every-man-for-himself" COD gametype.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Any guides for the graphics settings?
    Showing comparsions between medium/ultra and preformance hit of each?
    I can find ones for the beta but a more up to date one would be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Shy_Dave! wrote: »

Sigh.......

i5 2500K with 8gb and 6870 gets you ultra settings 1920*1080

Sadly that pc is on the floor beside me dead and i have...

E6850 4g ram and 6870 and i play on low and 1440*900

This game is all about RAM and CPU, i had a 4870 in this PC for a bit got a minute FPS boost changing to the 6870.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Shy_Dave! wrote: »

Here you go.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/battlefield-3-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmark-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

I am loving BF3 despite the fualts (lag that throws you back 10 feets, empty a mag into a guy and still get killed).

Has anyone experienced the MCOMS lag where it shows one left to destroy, yet the tickets have went back to 75 and that MCOM has really been blown up?

The Helicopters have changed from BC2 and I have not managed to learn how to fly them yet.....any videos?

I know this seems critical but I expect the bugs to be irnoed out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

OK first impressions.

After installing it and updating and then installing the HD skins, which took roughly 45 minutes last night. I couldn't get onto Multiplayer so went for single player for a while. The AI is good, the campaign is simple and plays like a cheaper rip off of MW2. But this game isn't about the campaign really, though it does play well and looks amazing.

Eventually got into Multiplayer at 5 am and played til 730. Mostly TDM because it's what I'm used to really. I have never played a BF game online save for a few games of BF2 in internet cafés. It's quite slick really for a game running at 30fps. The weapons are taking a little getting used to but the character is moving well. On TDM the action is quite centered for most maps despite the size of the overall map, there seemed to be action points around buildings but not so much in the scrub. Which is fine by me because I hate having to run for ages looking for people.

I'm not too keen on map design just yet, as said, I'm a call of duty player which has a pretty standard design of 3 ways out of ever place. These maps are far more realistic to life with some places you can get bogged down pretty easily. Also cover in open ground leaves something to be desired.

The people I was playing against annoy the sh1t out of me. There seems to be a lot of camping, not holding an area, I'm talking sitting in the corner of a room and waiting. It's a problem in most games, but this is next level, and it seems the "recon" classes justify such camping for some people. That said, there was still a lot of action around, a bonus of having so many people in a lobby is that not everyone will camp.

I love the feel and sound of the weapons, the recoil is pretty realistic and you really do need to keep it in short bursts, there is no controlling a full auto spray, it's really praying for the best if you do. The sights on the weapons are ****e to start with but it's easy to get used to them.

The vehicles so far seem to be really hard to control, I would love if there was just a few open maps to test them and get used to them on, I haven't really looked to see if you can do a private match alone yet, so maybe I'll be able to but the menus aren't quite as intuitive as I would have liked.

I hate how you can't back out after a game, you have to wait for it to restart and then back out if you want a new lobby or game type. I don't see the point, unless you can do it and I'm just missing something (again, menus not intuitive).

The game types aren't the easiest to just understand, and the explanations leave a lot to be desired, you get used to it, but my first 3 games of conquest I was completely lost.

Overall, I think it will be a really good game when I get used to it and when I can party up with some people to actually play like a team rather than have mic-less people run around like headless chickens getting killed. I hope that the camping ends as people get used to the maps, but I won't hold my breath.

I haven't encountered jets yet, which is annoying, not sure what I have to do to get them.

Now, I am gonna go to sleep, been up far too long playing it. Add me if you would like to party up some nights, I tend to prefer playing with people who really want to win. Xbox live GT is same as my username: minidazzler.

Mw2 ooo yeah it has destructable enviroments. It also has things like fireing selection on each wepon not only that but you can costmise it with multi features and stil have stuff like scopes..

wait and then theres the air strikes and neqs

been playing the game not had any trouble with flying jets or helecopter or any of the other vehicals

maybe your just a really bad player

but book up cheif, mw3 will be out you can be glorious in battle while playing against a bunch of 12 year olds :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

OK first impressions.

After installing it and updating and then installing the HD skins, which took roughly 45 minutes last night. I couldn't get onto Multiplayer so went for single player for a while. The AI is good, the campaign is simple and plays like a cheaper rip off of MW2. But this game isn't about the campaign really, though it does play well and looks amazing.

Eventually got into Multiplayer at 5 am and played til 730. Mostly TDM because it's what I'm used to really. I have never played a BF game online save for a few games of BF2 in internet cafés. It's quite slick really for a game running at 30fps. The weapons are taking a little getting used to but the character is moving well. On TDM the action is quite centered for most maps despite the size of the overall map, there seemed to be action points around buildings but not so much in the scrub. Which is fine by me because I hate having to run for ages looking for people.

I'm not too keen on map design just yet, as said, I'm a call of duty player which has a pretty standard design of 3 ways out of ever place. These maps are far more realistic to life with some places you can get bogged down pretty easily. Also cover in open ground leaves something to be desired.

The people I was playing against annoy the sh1t out of me. There seems to be a lot of camping, not holding an area, I'm talking sitting in the corner of a room and waiting. It's a problem in most games, but this is next level, and it seems the "recon" classes justify such camping for some people. That said, there was still a lot of action around, a bonus of having so many people in a lobby is that not everyone will camp.

I love the feel and sound of the weapons, the recoil is pretty realistic and you really do need to keep it in short bursts, there is no controlling a full auto spray, it's really praying for the best if you do. The sights on the weapons are ****e to start with but it's easy to get used to them.

The vehicles so far seem to be really hard to control, I would love if there was just a few open maps to test them and get used to them on, I haven't really looked to see if you can do a private match alone yet, so maybe I'll be able to but the menus aren't quite as intuitive as I would have liked.

I hate how you can't back out after a game, you have to wait for it to restart and then back out if you want a new lobby or game type. I don't see the point, unless you can do it and I'm just missing something (again, menus not intuitive).

The game types aren't the easiest to just understand, and the explanations leave a lot to be desired, you get used to it, but my first 3 games of conquest I was completely lost.

Overall, I think it will be a really good game when I get used to it and when I can party up with some people to actually play like a team rather than have mic-less people run around like headless chickens getting killed. I hope that the camping ends as people get used to the maps, but I won't hold my breath.

I haven't encountered jets yet, which is annoying, not sure what I have to do to get them.

Now, I am gonna go to sleep, been up far too long playing it. Add me if you would like to party up some nights, I tend to prefer playing with people who really want to win. Xbox live GT is same as my username: minidazzler.

Mw2 ooo yeah it has destructable enviroments. It also has things like fireing selection on each wepon not only that but you can costmise it with multi features and stil have stuff like scopes..

been playing the game not had any trouble with flying jets or helecopter or any of the other vehicals

but book up cheif, mw3 will be out you can be glorious in battle while playing against a bunch of 12 year olds :pac:
    He's talking about the campaign if you bothered to read it properly,you even highlighted it ffs.

Just having a go at the campaign now.
    Teammates are retards,anytime I line up a shot some idiot goes running ahead of me and I end up shooting him.

It's quite boring but I didn't buy this for the campaign anyway.
    The lighting from the streetlights and cars etc. is way overused,it's almost like they're trying to show off how realistic it is.
    No need to do it almost every scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have see that comment and really though unfair too. I decided to let it slide, but when you mentioned it...

I finished mw2 campaign on hard when it was released. All I can remember was foam in my mouth and trying to kill everyone before they will see me. It felt like quake, not a modern tactical shooter.

I started bf3 sp on hard and it felt so right. I was using cover and afraid for my own life. It blows mw2 out of the water with visuals even on my pc. Missions are more interesting. Even first one in bf3 has so much variety! All I can remember in cod campaigns run from point A to B and kill everything in between. Why? Nobody gives a ****, just do it.

I am really loving bf3 for rubbing a brown one in to cod fanboys. It is such different game and it is proud of being different. It is doing everything to be opposite to cod.

Me and other 5 lads were messing on our server. 3 on each team. 2 of each going on airplanes and the last one stands on some open area. All pilots have to try to kill opposite teams infantry fella with airplanes machine gun!!! Omg I had like 1/14 k/d, but we had so much fun. Laughed our asses off. Some crashes we had! Damn trees :D.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    He's talking about the campaign if you bothered to read it properly,you even highlighted it ffs.

I did bother to read it properly but....

I dont see the similarites between mw2 and bf3

wy because if he new what he was talkign hed no about a game called medal of honor teir 1

which didnt sell very well but was an awesome game..

Now when i play bf3 i cant help but go holy sh1t bf3 is a lot like medal of honor then mw2....

besides Im stil trying to figure out were hes got the comparison :confused:

I did bother to read it properly but....

I dont see the similarites between mw2 and bf3

wy because if he new what he was talkign hed no about a game called medal of honor teir 1

which didnt sell very well but was an awesome game..

Now when i play bf3 i cant help but go holy sh1t bf3 is a lot like medal of honor then mw2....

besides Im stil trying to figure out were hes got the comparison :confused:
    You replied to him with a load of things you can do in multiplayer and didn't even mention anything about campaign.

You replied to him with a load of things you can do in multiplayer and didn't even mention anything about campaign.

so i imagined driving a tank threw a desert

man some one take these drugs away from me weres the past 2 days gone ? :eek::confused:

• Advertisement

so i imagined driving a tank threw a desert

man some one take these drugs away from me weres the past 2 days gone ? :eek::confused:
    Funny that you mention 12 year olds playing MW.
    It's quite obvious what you mentioned was almost all multiplayer.

Advertisement